Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 06:24 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,873 times

Advertisements

I have found that people will bend over backwards to defend substance abuse if the drug being abused is marijuana. Alcohol, tobacco, 'harder drugs', prescription drugs: There seems to be plenty of social stigma attached to abusing those drugs (particularly in certain contexts, such as drinking and driving, or cigarette smoking indoors). However, the response to heavy weed use often boils down to "well, alcohol is bad", while ignoring the fact that someone is a abusing a drug.
Have others found this to be true?
If so, what do you think the reason(s) for this is/are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 07:49 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,024 times
Easy.

Adults who possess marijuana can get thrown in jail and be forced to pay large fines. They can also lose their jobs.

This is not true for adults who possess alcohol or cigarettes, which are much more dangerous to your health.

Also, the great majority of people who use a substance don't abuse it.

Glad I could clear it up for you.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:01 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
jburress is correct.
Also, OP doesn't seem to get the difference between using and abusing. I can't think of a single person who has advocated for the abuse of anything.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:16 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
I have found that people will bend over backwards to defend substance abuse if the drug being abused is marijuana. Alcohol, tobacco, 'harder drugs', prescription drugs: There seems to be plenty of social stigma attached to abusing those drugs (particularly in certain contexts, such as drinking and driving, or cigarette smoking indoors). However, the response to heavy weed use often boils down to "well, alcohol is bad", while ignoring the fact that someone is a abusing a drug.
Have others found this to be true?
If so, what do you think the reason(s) for this is/are?
I defend peoples right to abuse pot because the alternative is worse.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:39 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Easy.

Adults who possess marijuana can get thrown in jail and be forced to pay large fines. They can also lose their jobs.

This is not true for adults who possess alcohol or cigarettes, which are much more dangerous to your health.

Also, the great majority of people who use a substance don't abuse it.

Glad I could clear it up for you.
You've really crystallized the situation: It is almost always a reaction to the inherent inconsistency in the law, promulgated by offensive power plays. As long as there are more harmful agents, like alcohol, which are legal, society's arguments for its sanctions against marijuana will remain pitifully weak.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:42 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,069 times
As far as I am concerned if individuals want to destroy their own bodies that's their own personal choice. They can inhale the entire contents of their kitchen sinks, garages and garden sheds, they can drink industrial strength alcohol and can inject or smoke whatever they wish. As long as when they finally end up becoming very ill or dying they don't start whinging on about it or trying to sue people.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:20 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,108 times
I see the DARE/Reefer Madness propaganda machine is still running ... Use and Abuse are NOT synonyms.

Just like Millions drink alcohol responsibly, Millions smoke Marijuana responsibly.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:37 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
You are forgetting a BIG difference-you cannot overdose or become physically addicted to marijuana.

Marijuana is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man-that is why it has an exception. And I am not even saying that MJ can't be abused.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:48 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,069 times
It should be noted that Skunk and other purer forms of the Marijuana drug are a lot more potent than what was generally smoked back in the 1960's. Saying that, as long as an individual has reached adulthood, then the choice should be there's. Like Alcohol or Tobacco, potential health problems should be highlighted nut the choice should be up to the individual. There's too much nanny stating going on, it's their bodies, they can look at the information themselves and make their own choices as far as I am concerned.

Cannabis and Mental Health - The Royal College of Psychiatrists

Cannabis lung health risks underestimated - Health News - NHS Choices

Old 03-31-2014, 09:47 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
I see the DARE/Reefer Madness propaganda machine is still running ... Use and Abuse are NOT synonyms.

Just like Millions drink alcohol responsibly, Millions smoke Marijuana responsibly.

Correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies