U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Did you lose your HC?
Yes 13 18.31%
No 54 76.06%
I never had HC 4 5.63%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-27-2014, 09:12 AM
 
9,595 posts, read 5,811,786 times
Reputation: 9693

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Perhaps you can back that claim up with something a bit more credible than "from what I have seen"?
Perhaps the posters who claim that the ACA is helping more people then it is hurting can back up that claim as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2014, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,550,732 times
Reputation: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I'm wondering how many people lost their health insurance coverage due to the ACA vs how many people gained coverage due to Obamacare. From what I have seen thus far, more have lost then have gained.
Yet wouldn't those that lost coverage be able to sign up to get coverage? It seemed pretty easy to figure out when I did it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2014, 09:14 AM
 
3,576 posts, read 6,068,832 times
Reputation: 1432
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
He said that when the public option was still on the table, it is a shame Congress didn't follow through, but at least more Americans now have access to healthcare insurance than before.
I like the public option but there has to be severe restrictions. It can't be a blank check government program that continues to grow and eat up valuable resources.

That's been a huge problem. The Dems want a blank check. The Republicans are afraid it will just take over completely and ruin the capital markets.

Make a public option. Limit funding unless 80% of Congress approves further funding. Only those "undesirables" (those with active heart conditions, major history of cancer, stroke etc) who aren't able to obtain "affordable" care on the individual market.

You see this entire ACA really has been about those relatively few on the individual market who were denied insurance because of BIG pre existing conditions. Insurance companies don't deny someone just because they have hypertension or diabetes. The vast majority of times because of HIPAA, even those with pre exisiting conditions only have to wait a short amount of time before insurance will pay for their pre existing conditions. Most of the time it's 3-6 months. At most you may be looking at 12 months.

Those who had pre exisiting conditions with govt or employer health care were a non issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2014, 09:15 AM
 
10,975 posts, read 6,120,480 times
Reputation: 5948
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Perhaps the posters who claim that the ACA is helping more people then it is hurting can back up that claim as well.
Sure. We know for certain that at least six million plus Americans who had no coverage before the ACA have coverage now. We know for certain that many millions more have qualified for Medicaid and are now covered, who weren't covered before.

Your turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2014, 09:17 AM
 
9,595 posts, read 5,811,786 times
Reputation: 9693
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yet wouldn't those that lost coverage be able to sign up to get coverage? It seemed pretty easy to figure out when I did it.
It's not because people are too stupid to figure out how to sign up for a new plan, as you suggest, they can't sign up because the cost went up and it's no longer affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2014, 09:17 AM
 
3,576 posts, read 6,068,832 times
Reputation: 1432
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yet wouldn't those that lost coverage be able to sign up to get coverage? It seemed pretty easy to figure out when I did it.
Of course, if you lose coverage you can re sign up for another plan. The problem is because of "essentials demanded by Obama". If you are a 50 year guy, they will force you to buy another plan that includes maternity coverage. Often times you will be looking at at least a 40-50% premium increase because of the essentials required.

Of with Obama math. You can keep your similar premiums as before the ACA and brag to the media that the premiums have't changed and you get more coverage. Yet the liberals exclude the fact that in order to keep the premiums the same, you know risk having your deductible double to $6000 for individual and $12000 for family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2014, 09:19 AM
 
9,595 posts, read 5,811,786 times
Reputation: 9693
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Sure. We know for certain that at least six million plus Americans who had no coverage before the ACA have coverage now. We know for certain that many millions more have qualified for Medicaid and are now covered, who weren't covered before.

Your turn.
Your word is not proof, just as my word was not proof. How many lost coverage? How many will lose coverage when the ACA is fully implemented. Why all the delays if it is so great?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2014, 09:21 AM
 
34,354 posts, read 18,611,528 times
Reputation: 7596
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Sure. We know for certain that at least six million plus Americans who had no coverage before the ACA have coverage now. We know for certain that many millions more have qualified for Medicaid and are now covered, who weren't covered before.

Your turn.
Got a link....HHS cannot even verify numbers and you can? LOL....


Oh, and who has really paid, and who has just signed up...completly different....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2014, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,550,732 times
Reputation: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Of course, if you lose coverage you can re sign up for another plan. The problem is because of "essentials demanded by Obama". If you are a 50 year guy, they will force you to buy another plan that includes maternity coverage. Often times you will be looking at at least a 40-50% premium increase because of the essentials required.

Of with Obama math. You can keep your similar premiums as before the ACA and brag to the media that the premiums have't changed and you get more coverage. Yet the liberals exclude the fact that in order to keep the premiums the same, you know risk having your deductible double to $6000 for individual and $12000 for family.
No, a 50 yr old man just pays the same price as a woman that could need maturity coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2014, 09:21 AM
 
2,038 posts, read 2,432,868 times
Reputation: 2099
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Either your lucky, riding the free government train or just insulting us. I'm here to tell you mine got worse and cost went up......
I believe you when you say your coverage is worse and the cost is higher but people have posted the same on the health insurance forum and gotten grief for it. I think it scares some people and they don't have the ability to face the reality of it.

I think this is only the beginning of the problems we will see as people try to seek reimbursement for expenses and watch premiums rise but time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top