Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 01:18 AM

46,001 posts, read 34,991,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Applebees will no doubt cut heads, and while the jobs do not pay much, anything is more than nothing.
The other chains will also install tablets. At the end of the day, this will cut the quantity employed in restaurants by at least one third.
That doesn't surprise me, as technology advances, employment will continue to change. You could pay these employees a dollar a day and technology would still win out as it advances and becomes cheaper. Still, I personally would avoid places that relied on tablets to be their servers and would have no problem seeing those places go under due to lack of quality service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 07:49 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,118,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That doesn't surprise me, as technology advances, employment will continue to change. You could pay these employees a dollar a day and technology would still win out as it advances and becomes cheaper. Still, I personally would avoid places that relied on tablets to be their servers and would have no problem seeing those places go under due to lack of quality service.
The tablets are for ordering and paying. There's still a body that brings the food to your table (the "server").
And you can still ask for a server to come and write up your order especially if you have a special request.

Don't knock them until you try them.
I actually like them. You can take your time browsing the menu. No one will show up at your table with "Are you ready to order yet ?". And there is a button there to request the server come to your table.

If anything you get better service.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happytexan View Post
The tablets are for ordering and paying. There's still a body that brings the food to your table (the "server").
And you can still ask for a server to come and write up your order especially if you have a special request.

Don't knock them until you try them.
I actually like them. You can take your time browsing the menu. No one will show up at your table with "Are you ready to order yet ?". And there is a button there to request the server come to your table.

If anything you get better service.
I have used them at the airport and didn't like them, I prefer real people. Plus when someone asks me if I am ready to order yet and I am not, I simply say not yet and they come back a few minutes later when I am ready. Plus a good sign you are ready to order is when the menus are closed.

When I go to restaurants, I am paying for that experience, which is also why I don't pay to go to Applebee's because it isn't good.

I get better service at places that have great servers, and I tip those people well because of their quality.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I have used them at the airport and didn't like them, I prefer real people. Plus when someone asks me if I am ready to order yet and I am not, I simply say not yet and they come back a few minutes later when I am ready. Plus a good sign you are ready to order is when the menus are closed.

When I go to restaurants, I am paying for that experience, which is also why I don't pay to go to Applebee's because it isn't good.

I get better service at places that have great servers, and I tip those people well because of their quality.
Give it a try at a real restaurant.

When I go to restaurants its for the food, not the experience of someone writing down my food order.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Give it a try at a real restaurant.

When I go to restaurants its for the food, not the experience of someone writing down my food order.
We obviously go to restaurants for different reasons, though the quality of the food and the cooking is equally important, which is why I almost never go to a chain restaurant.

Having a tablet be my server is not a thing I am at all interested in. And a waiter can make or break a dining experience. I always enjoy quality service when I am at a restaurant.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:52 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,167,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Applebees will no doubt cut heads, and while the jobs do not pay much, anything is more than nothing.
The other chains will also install tablets. At the end of the day, this will cut the quantity employed in restaurants by at least one third.
This has little to do with a rise in minimum wage, however. Good grief! People have been complaining about "automation" since the 1950s, at least!

I recall restaurants in the 50s, extending into the 80s around here in CO, where you picked up a phone and called the order in, similar to ordering on a tablet. It didn't catch on, and eventually died out.

Maybe all this automation will decrease the price of restaurant food, yeah, dream on, Katiana!

Old 03-29-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
We obviously go to restaurants for different reasons, though the quality of the food and the cooking is equally important, which is why I almost never go to a chain restaurant.

Having a tablet be my server is not a thing I am at all interested in. And a waiter can make or break a dining experience. I always enjoy quality service when I am at a restaurant.
You press a button that you prefer a server come to your table.
They don't want to lose customers. Waiters and waitresses aren't all being fired.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
You press a button that you prefer a server come to your table.
They don't want to lose customers. Waiters and waitresses aren't all being fired.
No thank you, I hate when tables are full of added junk like flare and tablets. That is why I don't eat at chains like Applebee's. Why do I want to spend money on mediocre food and bad service? That isn't my thing, obviously you like tablets in restaurants and that is cool for you. I will be avoiding those restaurants.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
No thank you, I hate when tables are full of added junk like flare and tablets. That is why I don't eat at chains like Applebee's. Why do I want to spend money on mediocre food and bad service? That isn't my thing, obviously you like tablets in restaurants and that is cool for you. I will be avoiding those restaurants.
I like technology...tablets, kiosks, self checkouts, ATMs.

Another restaurant using technology is Jason's Deli for their soup/salad buffet with a self serve kiosk and swipe machine.
Saves you time from waiting on line with the others that are ordering other items.

Technology has it's place. And as it advances you either embrace it or hate it and will be left behind.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I like technology...tablets, kiosks, self checkouts, ATMs.

Another restaurant using technology is Jason's Deli for their soup/salad buffet with a self serve kiosk and swipe machine.
Saves you time from waiting on line with the others that are ordering other items.

Technology has it's place. And as it advances you either embrace it or hate it and will be left behind.
I like technology with some things and not with other things. A buffet is a self service thing anyway.

Tablets will not be taking over the restaurant industry outside of mediocre chain restaurants and airports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies