U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-27-2014, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Out West
22,760 posts, read 16,841,238 times
Reputation: 26306

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Apparently, in the Three Wolves universe, prices for goods and taxes have remained completely static for the last five years, which was the last time the federal minimum wage was raised. (I think that universe is named Fantasyland.)
He used the example of Seattle. I lived in Seattle. I saw it happen. Now, you can live in La La Land all that you want and pretend it doesn't happen, but that's not reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2014, 10:48 AM
 
1,825 posts, read 1,212,424 times
Reputation: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
He used the example of Seattle. I lived in Seattle. I saw it happen. Now, you can live in La La Land all that you want and pretend it doesn't happen, but that's not reality.
Because as we all know there is no reasons independent of wages that cause inflation particularly in a localized area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2014, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,538,049 times
Reputation: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
He used the example of Seattle. I lived in Seattle. I saw it happen. Now, you can live in La La Land all that you want and pretend it doesn't happen, but that's not reality.
Seattle is a highly desirable area, I think that has a much greater effect than minimum wage increases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2014, 10:53 AM
 
Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,344 posts, read 14,055,432 times
Reputation: 6512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Because as we all know there is no reasons independent of wages that cause inflation particularly in a localized area
inflation happens because of many reasons TOO INCLUDE raising wages

most small businesses (whom employe most of americans) work on a very small profit ratio, especially is the service sector (think automotive repair shop)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2014, 10:55 AM
 
48,516 posts, read 83,966,925 times
Reputation: 18050
It really just reflects the higher cost of wages in general which reflect the higher cost of living .The problem will come in exporting those cost in product out of state. Likely the wages there are few at minimum wage now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2014, 11:01 AM
 
1,825 posts, read 1,212,424 times
Reputation: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
inflation happens because of many reasons TOO INCLUDE raising wages

most small businesses (whom employe most of americans) work on a very small profit ratio, especially is the service sector (think automotive repair shop)
As I said if you look at wages in isolation your argument makes sense. Also if you think about it from a folksy common wisdom persepective most of your argument make sense, but the world doesn't work that way.

The fact is inflation will not happen because of a minimum wage increase. When the minimum wage goes up, folks ability to claim government benefits like food stamps and the eitc will go down because of higher incomes. This means that while business will spend more to support their employees government will likely spend less. Thus the total spending in the economy will likely be a wash. This is basically a trend that has been going on for at least 4 years now.

Secondly the businesses that gain the most from minimum wage being low are big businesses. This is because their fixed costs of hiring and training new employees are relatively low to the size of their business. On the other hand small businesses often pay better because their fixed costs of hiring and training tend to be a large portion of their costs. Thus they like to retain employees and paying more then minimum wage is the way to do it as such any modest increase in the minimum wage over time won't really effect them except to put more money into the hands of their consumers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2014, 11:09 AM
 
Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,344 posts, read 14,055,432 times
Reputation: 6512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
As I said if you look at wages in isolation your argument makes sense. Also if you think about it from a folksy common wisdom persepective most of your argument make sense, but the world doesn't work that way.

The fact is inflation will not happen because of a minimum wage increase. When the minimum wage goes up, folks ability to claim government benefits like food stamps and the eitc will go down because of higher incomes. This means that while business will spend more to support their employees government will likely spend less. Thus the total spending in the economy will likely be a wash. This is basically a trend that has been going on for at least 4 years now.

Secondly the businesses that gain the most from minimum wage being low are big businesses. This is because their fixed costs of hiring and training new employees are relatively low to the size of their business. On the other hand small businesses often pay better because their fixed costs of hiring and training tend to be a large portion of their costs. Thus they like to retain employees and paying more then minimum wage is the way to do it.
your not seeing the big picture

thousands of small businesses are facing situations like this:

Quote:
here is an example of what will happen with this 'raising'

minimum wage is for UNSKILLED currently at 7.20

I pay my UNSKILLED laborers (that clean the shop) over $9 an hour, the min wage is $7.2

an example:

I run a maintenance shop
I have a shop foreman...$24/hr
I have 3 mechanics.......$22/hr
I have a parts manager...$22/hr
I have 2 mechanic helpers...$14
I have 2 parts workers/drivers...$12
I have 2 labors (to clear the shop)....$9 (2 over min)

minimum wage is $7.2

the 'government' raises the minimum wage to 15

now I HAVE to increase the laborers wage to AT LEAST 15.. and he will WANT $17 (2 over min)....but If I give the "unskilled" laborer $17 then the driver (must maintain a clean license) will want more (hey boss, I was making $3 more than the unskilled guy) ...as so on, and so on...

thus RAISING THE COSTS of my SERVICE that I provide to the society.....
I would to raise salaries on mech helpers, drivers, and laborers...not to mention the actual SKILLED workers....meanwhile the business will end up failing, because it not is too costly to stay in business



so either costs will go up....or people will get laid-off......because as a small shop owner I cant afford to give any more than I am giving
this is just one example of what is happening
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2014, 11:11 AM
 
Location: USA
6,226 posts, read 5,365,096 times
Reputation: 10643
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Many people insist on starting families based on their age. Often times people are going to start families in their 20s even though they are not working high paying jobs yet.
That's fine, but please don't expect the taxpayer to foot the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2014, 11:16 AM
 
1,825 posts, read 1,212,424 times
Reputation: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
your not seeing the big picture

thousands of small businesses are facing situations like this:


this is just one example of what is happening
The problem with your example is that you are assuming the government will more then double the minimum wage overnight and that is the way it will work. That is what we call a straw man. Even if the minimum wage goes to 10.10 or about 2/3 of what your example is it will likely be over a period of years potentially with small increases. If small businesses are even affected it wont be for years down the line.

Once more as I pointed out reliable unskilled labor actually tends to cost more then $7.25 which is why small businesses often pay a few dollars higher then the minimum wage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2014, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,538,049 times
Reputation: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
That's fine, but please don't expect the taxpayer to foot the bill.
Well it is a good thing that decision isn't up to you, I assume you are also against footing the bill for medical use for the elderly as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:59 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top