Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 10:47 AM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Apparently, in the Three Wolves universe, prices for goods and taxes have remained completely static for the last five years, which was the last time the federal minimum wage was raised. (I think that universe is named Fantasyland.)
He used the example of Seattle. I lived in Seattle. I saw it happen. Now, you can live in La La Land all that you want and pretend it doesn't happen, but that's not reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 10:48 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
He used the example of Seattle. I lived in Seattle. I saw it happen. Now, you can live in La La Land all that you want and pretend it doesn't happen, but that's not reality.
Because as we all know there is no reasons independent of wages that cause inflation particularly in a localized area

Old 03-27-2014, 10:52 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Seattle is a highly desirable area, I think that has a much greater effect than minimum wage increases.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:53 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Because as we all know there is no reasons independent of wages that cause inflation particularly in a localized area
inflation happens because of many reasons TOO INCLUDE raising wages

most small businesses (whom employe most of americans) work on a very small profit ratio, especially is the service sector (think automotive repair shop)

Old 03-27-2014, 10:55 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
It really just reflects the higher cost of wages in general which reflect the higher cost of living .The problem will come in exporting those cost in product out of state. Likely the wages there are few at minimum wage now.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
inflation happens because of many reasons TOO INCLUDE raising wages

most small businesses (whom employe most of americans) work on a very small profit ratio, especially is the service sector (think automotive repair shop)
As I said if you look at wages in isolation your argument makes sense. Also if you think about it from a folksy common wisdom persepective most of your argument make sense, but the world doesn't work that way.

The fact is inflation will not happen because of a minimum wage increase. When the minimum wage goes up, folks ability to claim government benefits like food stamps and the eitc will go down because of higher incomes. This means that while business will spend more to support their employees government will likely spend less. Thus the total spending in the economy will likely be a wash. This is basically a trend that has been going on for at least 4 years now.

Secondly the businesses that gain the most from minimum wage being low are big businesses. This is because their fixed costs of hiring and training new employees are relatively low to the size of their business. On the other hand small businesses often pay better because their fixed costs of hiring and training tend to be a large portion of their costs. Thus they like to retain employees and paying more then minimum wage is the way to do it as such any modest increase in the minimum wage over time won't really effect them except to put more money into the hands of their consumers.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:09 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
As I said if you look at wages in isolation your argument makes sense. Also if you think about it from a folksy common wisdom persepective most of your argument make sense, but the world doesn't work that way.

The fact is inflation will not happen because of a minimum wage increase. When the minimum wage goes up, folks ability to claim government benefits like food stamps and the eitc will go down because of higher incomes. This means that while business will spend more to support their employees government will likely spend less. Thus the total spending in the economy will likely be a wash. This is basically a trend that has been going on for at least 4 years now.

Secondly the businesses that gain the most from minimum wage being low are big businesses. This is because their fixed costs of hiring and training new employees are relatively low to the size of their business. On the other hand small businesses often pay better because their fixed costs of hiring and training tend to be a large portion of their costs. Thus they like to retain employees and paying more then minimum wage is the way to do it.
your not seeing the big picture

thousands of small businesses are facing situations like this:

Quote:
here is an example of what will happen with this 'raising'

minimum wage is for UNSKILLED currently at 7.20

I pay my UNSKILLED laborers (that clean the shop) over $9 an hour, the min wage is $7.2

an example:

I run a maintenance shop
I have a shop foreman...$24/hr
I have 3 mechanics.......$22/hr
I have a parts manager...$22/hr
I have 2 mechanic helpers...$14
I have 2 parts workers/drivers...$12
I have 2 labors (to clear the shop)....$9 (2 over min)

minimum wage is $7.2

the 'government' raises the minimum wage to 15

now I HAVE to increase the laborers wage to AT LEAST 15.. and he will WANT $17 (2 over min)....but If I give the "unskilled" laborer $17 then the driver (must maintain a clean license) will want more (hey boss, I was making $3 more than the unskilled guy) ...as so on, and so on...

thus RAISING THE COSTS of my SERVICE that I provide to the society.....
I would to raise salaries on mech helpers, drivers, and laborers...not to mention the actual SKILLED workers....meanwhile the business will end up failing, because it not is too costly to stay in business

so either costs will go up....or people will get laid-off......because as a small shop owner I cant afford to give any more than I am giving
this is just one example of what is happening

Old 03-27-2014, 11:11 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Many people insist on starting families based on their age. Often times people are going to start families in their 20s even though they are not working high paying jobs yet.
That's fine, but please don't expect the taxpayer to foot the bill.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
your not seeing the big picture

thousands of small businesses are facing situations like this:

this is just one example of what is happening
The problem with your example is that you are assuming the government will more then double the minimum wage overnight and that is the way it will work. That is what we call a straw man. Even if the minimum wage goes to 10.10 or about 2/3 of what your example is it will likely be over a period of years potentially with small increases. If small businesses are even affected it wont be for years down the line.

Once more as I pointed out reliable unskilled labor actually tends to cost more then $7.25 which is why small businesses often pay a few dollars higher then the minimum wage

Old 03-27-2014, 11:28 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
That's fine, but please don't expect the taxpayer to foot the bill.
Well it is a good thing that decision isn't up to you, I assume you are also against footing the bill for medical use for the elderly as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies