Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2014, 09:45 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,781,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I've commented that I'm in a grandfathered plan with my company and not affected at all.
My rates even stayed the same.

I consider myself lucky because next year I could be an Obamacare victim myself and have to pay higher rates for less services.
Families USA (a huge Obama supporter) tried to convince the public that less than 1% (0.6%) to be exact would have to pay more for healthcare.

They claim 15-16 million are on the individual market and that 71% would qualify for subsides.

Less than 1% to pay more under Obamacare if current plan canceled, study says

So most of the dumb public would believe that on its own merit until you start actually examining data further.

If that's true. Than 29% are paying full price (over 400% of poverty). That's about 4.5 million?

Yet they claim less than 1.2 million will pay more.

Somewhere the math makes no sense. Unless you start playing with semantics. The gap between 4.5 million and 1.2 million. They are saying those 3.2 million who pay full price will pay the same or less. Which flies in the face of common sense.

Because they are misleading. I have two choices. I can tell everyone I can keep my PREMIUMS The same under the ACA but my deductible will double to $12000. So Obama and families USA can claim I Am paying the same.

Yet my deductible last year was $6000 for the family. In order to get to that same $6000 deductible I would have to pay 40% more in premiums.

You see the math Obama supporters will play? Even when you call them out on the math they will say "well you are getting more care". Sure I will agree with that. I went from major comprehensive (without maternity rider) to now major comprehensive (with maternity). But u know what? My wife and I are done with maternity coverage. We used to pay extra for it. But when done with having kids. We deleted it cause we didn't need it anymore. Anyways the cash rate was the same as the added premiums we were paying anyways.

And Obama forces it on us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 09:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Families USA (a huge Obama supporter) tried to convince the public that less than 1% (0.6%) to be exact would have to pay more for healthcare.

They claim 15-16 million are on the individual market and that 71% would qualify for subsides.

Less than 1% to pay more under Obamacare if current plan canceled, study says

So most of the dumb public would believe that on its own merit until you start actually examining data further.

If that's true. Than 29% are paying full price (over 400% of poverty). That's about 4.5 million?

Yet they claim less than 1.2 million will pay more.

Somewhere the math makes no sense. Unless you start playing with semantics. The gap between 4.5 million and 1.2 million. They are saying those 3.2 million who pay full price will pay the same or less. Which flies in the face of common sense.

Because they are misleading. I have two choices. I can tell everyone I can keep my PREMIUMS The same under the ACA but my deductible will double to $12000. So Obama and families USA can claim I Am paying the same.

Yet my deductible last year was $6000 for the family. In order to get to that same $6000 deductible I would have to pay 40% more in premiums.

You see the math Obama supporters will play? Even when you call them out on the math they will say "well you are getting more care". Sure I will agree with that. I went from major comprehensive (without maternity rider) to now major comprehensive (with maternity). But u know what? My wife and I are done with maternity coverage. We used to pay extra for it. But when done with having kids. We deleted it cause we didn't need it anymore. Anyways the cash rate was the same as the added premiums we were paying anyways.

And Obama forces it on us.
I have a high deductible plan.
This is under grandfathered rules mind you.
$5K out of pocket max and a low monthly premium (covered by my employer because I chose the high deductible).

Compare that to Obamacare plans today with a $6K/$12K out of pocket.
What you have here is everyone going to high deductible plans.
Those are plans typically chosen by people who are healthy and have money to pay the bills.

The government has put people who cannot even afford their monthly premium on high deducible plans.
Just wait until that first trip to the ER.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:13 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And you continue to lie..

Tell me where you're pulling this figure out of, because there is no way in hell 1/2 of those previously uninsured are now carry insurance...
Lie? don't embarrass yourself. What I wrote is that if one combines the medicaid signups, the people in the state exchanges, and the young adults who now get to stay on their parents insurance plans until age 26, then about 13million-16million people are in the program.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Lie? don't embarrass yourself. What I wrote is that if one combines the medicaid signups, the people in the state exchanges, and the young adults who now get to stay on their parents insurance plans until age 26, then about 13million-16million people are in the program.
Not true. They did not sign up on exchanges.
18-26 year old "kids" were added before the exchanges even opened so you can't count them even though you are.

The number of signups are for signups in the exchanges.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
How many of those so call 6 million on the exchanges and kids under 26 under their parents plans were uninsured last year?

Not many. How can the administration tout a number when it just involves people getting kick off old plans and resigning up on the exchanges. Young adults on parents plans are such an inconsequential number. Even on its face of 1.2 million staying on parents plans. Half of them were already enrolled full time in college and already could have stayed on parents plans without the Aca.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not true. They did not sign up on exchanges.
18-26 year old "kids" were added before the exchanges even opened so you can't count them even though you are.

The number of signups are for signups in the exchanges.
Yes, I know I detailed that in my description of the people I was counting who were in the program.

By program I mean the law know as the ACA which is the law that allowed those young adults to stay on their parents insurance until 26.

Why shouldn't the number of young adults allowed to stay on their parents insurance not be counted as the people helped by the ACA or people who are in the program known as the ACA? Because without the ACA they would not still be on their parents insurance and may in fact be uninsured.

Obviously if the ACA expands medicaid which it did, then why wouldn't those people who got medicaid because of the expansion mandated by the ACA not be counted as people in the program?

Because again without that expansion they wouldn't have qualified for medicaid.

So yes when one adds up the people added to medicaid due to the ACA expansion of medicaid, and adds all the young adults who stayed on their parents insurance until 26 because of the ACA law mandated this, and adds up the people who signed up to the exchanges, then right now about 13million - 16million people are in the program. According to this website that has been tracking those numbers.

ACASignups.net | Tracking Enrollments for the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare)

Old 03-29-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
How many of those so call 6 million on the exchanges and kids under 26 under their parents plans were uninsured last year?

Not many. How can the administration tout a number when it just involves people getting kick off old plans and resigning up on the exchanges. Young adults on parents plans are such an inconsequential number. Even on its face of 1.2 million staying on parents plans. Half of them were already enrolled full time in college and already could have stayed on parents plans without the Aca.
First off you are wrong about the young adults, there are about 2.5million- 3million young adults who would have been kicked off their parents insurance because of their age, but because of the law were allowed to stay on their parents insurance. And obviously this number will only continue to grow every year as more young adults can stay on their parents health insurance.

In terms of the number who were previously uninsured, I think you have to count the medicaid signups because many of those people didn't have any insurance. That is potentially millions of people right there who didn't have insurance but now do because of the ACA.

In terms of those on the exchanges, I have not seen any reliable estimates, so I don't know how many didn't have insurance.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Yes, I know I detailed that in my description of the people I was counting who were in the program.

By program I mean the law know as the ACA which is the law that allowed those young adults to stay on their parents insurance until 26.

Why shouldn't the number of young adults allowed to stay on their parents insurance not be counted as the people helped by the ACA or people who are in the program known as the ACA? Because without the ACA they would not still be on their parents insurance and may in fact be uninsured.

Obviously if the ACA expands medicaid which it did, then why wouldn't those people who got medicaid because of the expansion mandated by the ACA not be counted as people in the program?

Because again without that expansion they wouldn't have qualified for medicaid.

So yes when one adds up the people added to medicaid due to the ACA expansion of medicaid, and adds all the young adults who stayed on their parents insurance until 26 because of the ACA law mandated this, and adds up the people who signed up to the exchanges, then right now about 13million - 16million people are in the program. According to this website that has been tracking those numbers.

ACASignups.net | Tracking Enrollments for the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare)
Come on. If u are full time student most insurers already let u stay on parents plans without the Aca.

Ok. So they aren't in school anymore. U realize how dirt cheap it is to insurer someone ages 18-26. Often times it's cheaper to have young adult get their own individual plans than to add them to their parents plans especially if their parents work for smaller employers who don't subsidize employee spouses or children much (even with Aca mandates).

Old 03-29-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Come on. If u are full time student most insurers already let u stay on parents plans without the Aca.

Ok. So they aren't in school anymore. U realize how dirt cheap it is to insurer someone ages 18-26. Often times it's cheaper to have young adult get their own individual plans than to add them to their parents plans especially if their parents work for smaller employers who don't subsidize employee spouses or children much (even with Aca mandates).
No you come on, the young adults you keep bringing up are not being counted as being helped by the ACA because as you point out they could already be on their parents insurance. So will you please stop with this fiction.

There were millions of young adults who would have aged out of being able to be on their parents insurance who now have insurance because of the ACA, this is objective reality. This numbers about 2.5million to 3million people.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
No you come on, the young adults you keep bringing up are not being counted as being helped by the ACA because as you point out they could already be on their parents insurance. So will you please stop with this fiction.

There were millions of young adults who would have aged out of being able to be on their parents insurance who now have insurance because of the ACA, this is objective reality. This numbers about 2.5million to 3million people.
Yup..if they don't go to college they get kicked off at 18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies