Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 08:48 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Of course it makes it more palatable! Don't be silly.

There are things my wife can say to me that no one else can say.

I can say things about my mom that I'd never allow YOU to say.

And just the same, there are things that black people can say to each other that outsiders can't get away with saying.

It's like a Jewish guy telling Jewish jokes, or a Polish guy telling Polish jokes. As a black person, those things are something that I just don't do. It's not my place to say that stuff.

That's how it is for any group. Come on..get real.
I am sorry, it is not to me. I would not find you calling me a derogatory moniker for a person of African decent any more acceptable than some white guy doing it. My son claims he is still spitting soap out of his mouth from 12 years ago for saying such a thing to a friend when they "were just kidding around, and everyone does it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 08:59 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LMAO...that's a laughably bad guess.

Where is Paul Mooney when you need a segment of Ask A Black Dude? Because you're WAAAAAY off.
I'm going to own that my understanding of the word is apparently off, the only person I ever heard use that term was my aunt, and it was towards my uncle who fit the description I gave. Just goes to show you shouldn't assume you know something, when you are solely basing your knowledge on your own observations, rather than actual information. Sigh - I told my students to be careful about doing that all time, you'd think I'd take my own advice.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:15 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Any of the following will work.

Urban Dictionary: ashy
LMAO...exactly.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:17 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I am sorry, it is not to me. I would not find you calling me a derogatory moniker for a person of African decent any more acceptable than some white guy doing it. My son claims he is still spitting soap out of his mouth from 12 years ago for saying such a thing to a friend when they "were just kidding around, and everyone does it."
I wouldn't call you a derogatory moniker.

Ashy negro doesn't really fit that description.

Yeah, it's derogatory technically, but not in the way it's normally used.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:47 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,518,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
How do you know they are conservatives? You wont answer with anything of substance I'm betting.
because they are saying things conservatives say like they hate Obama, liberals ruined the black community (that's a big red flag right there), things about the democrat plantation and welfare, liberal women and liberal black women. it's weird that you were able to type this post, but you can't read.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
If that's your measuring stick then we have yet to have a black president.

Only a biracial one.
that is correct.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
that's because you are the type of person you are. the majority of us (blacks) don't see it that way. also, I would be offended if a stranger said it too, but I know the word has a different context when used by blacks than by non blacks.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:21 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
I know the word has a different context when used by blacks than by non blacks.
Why? Isn't that in and of itself, racist?

Old 03-31-2014, 10:29 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed and that Lemieux "lady" is a racist piece of work.
Indeed.

They come down really hard, though, on anyone who's brave enough to step off the plantation. Look at the grief Bill Cosby suffered for speaking the truth.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:46 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,602,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
to step off the plantation.
Yeah, that's not racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies