Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 10:09 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,793,716 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure they should be taught a foreign language even in high school. Why? Spanish I can see because the US is becoming a bi-lingual country. I might have benefited by learning French since I had to work sometimes with French speakers. But I could never have known that in HS, not go mention grade school.

And what language? A grade schooler can't possibly know and his parents probably don't know beyond whatever they heard on the news. Russian, maybe because it's invading Ukraine? In the 80's they would have thought Japanese was the language to of the future. German in the 1890's. Teachers have no better idea than their pupils.

I'd rather see the effort put into mastering English. It is and will be for a long time the most international of languages, thanks to the former British Empire. Even now, it is the language of much of educated South Asia and Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 10:22 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Mastering english? Are they to become grammatical professors? I don't understand your argument. They already know english, why keep studying a language they already know when they could also be bringing in a foreign language into their repertoire?

Old 04-08-2014, 10:28 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,793,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Mastering english? Are they to become grammatical professors? I don't understand your argument. They already know english, why keep studying a language they already know when they could also be bringing in a foreign language into their repertoire?
I don't know, Fragile, but a lot of the kids I encounter can hardly get an intelligible sentence out of their mouths. Or write well enough for simple business needs. I mean, I'm not perfect or anything, but a lot of young peoples' English is just awful.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:25 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
I'm not sure they should be taught a foreign language even in high school. Why? Spanish I can see because the US is becoming a bi-lingual country. I might have benefited by learning French since I had to work sometimes with French speakers. But I could never have known that in HS, not go mention grade school.

And what language? A grade schooler can't possibly know and his parents probably don't know beyond whatever they heard on the news. Russian, maybe because it's invading Ukraine? In the 80's they would have thought Japanese was the language to of the future. German in the 1890's. Teachers have no better idea than their pupils.

I'd rather see the effort put into mastering English. It is and will be for a long time the most international of languages, thanks to the former British Empire. Even now, it is the language of much of educated South Asia and Africa.
There is nothing to stop children from learning both English and a foreign language. Someone who learned Japanese or German would still be well-served by knowing those languages (both countries are industrial powerhouses with diversified economies). The languages we teach in schools don't disappear (French, Spanish, German, Russian, Chinese, Arabic, Portuguese, etc. are not going anywhere). While one may not end up "using" the learned language, the option to use it is valuable.

Quote:
I don't know, Fragile, but a lot of the kids I encounter can hardly get an intelligible sentence out of their mouths. Or write well enough for simple business needs. I mean, I'm not perfect or anything, but a lot of young peoples' English is just awful.
I learned more about the rules of English grammar by studying French than in English courses. We learn English not in classes, but through immersion in the language--a method that does not require detailed knowledge of the structures, functions, and formal rules of grammar. Learning a foreign language can build that foundation while also learning a skill--namely the rudiments of the foreign language.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:52 AM

692 posts, read 957,431 times
Quote:

Just as you said about German, Japanese and Russian, there's no way to say that English will be the most useful of foreign languages into the future. Most of the emerging economies are not English-speaking, and as their importance and influence increases, there will be less need to rely on English. If anything, considering the waning influence of the West and the US in particular, it is MORE important for Americans to become bilingual in order to remain competitive. With the British Empire already fallen and US rapidly being overtaken by China as dominant superpower, what incentive will the rest of the world have to learn English?

Old 04-08-2014, 08:41 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,568 times
Quote:

In the 80's they would have thought Japanese was the language to of the
future.
Actually it already is! Japanese classes in the high schools here are almost packed.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:53 PM

62,942 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Most Hispanic citizens are bi-lingual so they know English. So why should non-Hispanic Americans learn Spanish when we already have the common language of English to communicate in? As for immigrants they should be learning English rather than Americans learning a dozen different foreign languages to accommodate them all. English is the de facto language of this country.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:06 PM

4,796 posts, read 2,800,346 times
Default Maybe it is rocket science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Most Hispanic citizens are bi-lingual so they know English. So why should non-Hispanic Americans learn Spanish when we already have the common language of English to communicate in? As for immigrants they should be learning English rather than Americans learning a dozen different foreign languages to accommodate them all. English is the de facto language of this country.

Yes, but languages fade over time if they're not maintained. Maintaining a language/culture means putting effort into it - for the US, it's easy enough to keep Spanish-language TV, radio, print & other outlets going. Official support will be needed to keep the higher-level culture going, although it can struggle along.

Yah, English is the de facto language here. & Guantanamo was/is (still?) full of people who were simply standing in the wrong place @ the wrong time - our language handlers in Iraq & Afghanistan sometimes needed a body to sell to us (like a scalp in the bad old days), or needed to settle some old tribal score - & voila! We got a traitor/spy/Talib/Mujahadeen - & they got the cash. We don't want to be at the mercy of local interpreters any more than absolutely necessary.

There was a time when Yankee clippers & captains sailed everywhere, traded everywhere, & talked to everyone. Communication is the beginning of intelligence, financial, trade, diplomatic & military. A military force that can't deploy outside the wire without tons of armor, local translators, handlers, drivers, cooks, dishwashers, waiters, cashiers, stevedores, etc., etc. - see our experience in Vietnam - is hamstrung & deserves to fail.

As long as we commit armed forces overseas - we need at least a skeleton proficiency in any likely language/culture we'll deploy to. In the case of Afghanistan & Iraq, we had such a population in Detroit & other Arabic population centers in the US. But AG Ashford's first move post-09/11 was to round up & hold incommunicado every young man of obvious Arabic appearance that we could ID & detain. & then we denied them counsel, shifted them from place to place, refused to allow them to communicate with family. @ a stroke we went from a pool of potential translators & cultural guides to pretty much offended people, with deep-seated grudges.

Clearly we hadn't even considered the length of an intelligence war against political terrorism masquerading behind Islamic radicalism. & it showed. All these years later, & here we are still debating how to approach the issues.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:21 AM

62,942 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Yes, but languages fade over time if they're not maintained. Maintaining a language/culture means putting effort into it - for the US, it's easy enough to keep Spanish-language TV, radio, print & other outlets going. Official support will be needed to keep the higher-level culture going, although it can struggle along.

Yah, English is the de facto language here. & Guantanamo was/is (still?) full of people who were simply standing in the wrong place @ the wrong time - our language handlers in Iraq & Afghanistan sometimes needed a body to sell to us (like a scalp in the bad old days), or needed to settle some old tribal score - & voila! We got a traitor/spy/Talib/Mujahadeen - & they got the cash. We don't want to be at the mercy of local interpreters any more than absolutely necessary.

There was a time when Yankee clippers & captains sailed everywhere, traded everywhere, & talked to everyone. Communication is the beginning of intelligence, financial, trade, diplomatic & military. A military force that can't deploy outside the wire without tons of armor, local translators, handlers, drivers, cooks, dishwashers, waiters, cashiers, stevedores, etc., etc. - see our experience in Vietnam - is hamstrung & deserves to fail.

As long as we commit armed forces overseas - we need at least a skeleton proficiency in any likely language/culture we'll deploy to. In the case of Afghanistan & Iraq, we had such a population in Detroit & other Arabic population centers in the US. But AG Ashford's first move post-09/11 was to round up & hold incommunicado every young man of obvious Arabic appearance that we could ID & detain. & then we denied them counsel, shifted them from place to place, refused to allow them to communicate with family. @ a stroke we went from a pool of potential translators & cultural guides to pretty much offended people, with deep-seated grudges.

Clearly we hadn't even considered the length of an intelligence war against political terrorism masquerading behind Islamic radicalism. & it showed. All these years later, & here we are still debating how to approach the issues.
Hispanics will always pass down the Spanish language thru the generations but when the kids enter school they will also learn our national language of English so I don't see why non-Spanish speakers should have to learn Spanish. As for learning other languages, I mean come on as long as Americans plan on living here all their lives and don't have a job dealing with foreign countries it's a complete waste of time. If you don't use it, you lose it. Those who push learning other languages are usually progressive liberals or ethnocentrics who want to balkanize our country or change it to a Hispanic one in identity. The agendas are quite clear.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:58 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,802 times
In Europe it's already done: the results? Multilingual children who are much more marketable on the work's market and much more versatile than their American counterpart.
Yes English is the worldwide language: Yet there are many who don't speak it, by speaking some very important language (French,German,Russian,Spanish, Japanese,Chinese,Portuguese,Arabic) you can interact much better and much more fruitfully than any English monolingual.
Learning languages makes your brain faster, more logic and much more versatile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies