Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 11:25 AM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
But, basically, islam is anti-first amendment because it prohibits people from religious freedom.
Any religion that claims to take the First Commandment seriously is de facto anti-first-amendment. You want to outlaw the Dominionists as well?

Old 04-01-2014, 11:32 AM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
I'm not. Hacking off the head a of gay person is anti-American. Forcing women to go out with their face covered is anti-American. Prohibiting a woman from going out in public without a man is Anti-American. Taking an 11 year old "bride" and having sex with her until she dies is anti-American.
It's also illegal - at least in Murfreesboro. So it sounds like you need to inform the police...

Old 04-01-2014, 11:42 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
Quote:
Hacking off the head a of gay person is anti-American. Forcing women to go out with their face covered is anti-American. Prohibiting a woman from going out in public without a man is Anti-American. Taking an 11 year old "bride" and having sex with her until she dies is anti-American.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
You forgot to mention that in the vast majority of Muslim countries, none of this happens.
It happens too often.

But who cares. It's much more productive to whine about a random private Christian school for kicking out a girl who didn't follow haircut/dress code. Perfect opportunity to generalize "intolerance" to all Christians.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:54 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It's also illegal - at least in Murfreesboro. So it sounds like you need to inform the police...
Give it time.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:10 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
It happens too often.

But who cares. It's much more productive to whine about a random private Christian school for kicking out a girl who didn't follow haircut/dress code. Perfect opportunity to generalize "intolerance" to all Christians.
Or Christians who hack apart gays with machetes in Christian countries like Uganda.

Sick human behaviour and twisting religion isn't exclusive to Islam or Christianity.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:53 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,391 times
Islam does not tolerate any other religions.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:42 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
the usual suspects
This comment was made in regards to the federal government resettling Muslim refugees in TN. I would like to know if you have issue with the same federal government resettling Vietnamese after the Vietnam war or Bosnians here in the US (many were sent to the St. Louis area) after the conflict over there in the 1990s. Or is your concern just with Muslims?

FWIW, I knew a lot of Muslims who were resettled from Iraq when I was younger along with a number of Vietnamese families and Cambodians as well. They were settled in my hometown due to that area having a low cost of living and available work for them. Those are the primary reasons that the feds decide where to resettle refugees.

Also FWIW, I currently live in metro Atlanta. We have also had a large amount of Somalian Muslims resettled in the metro area along with various Asians. The same criteria was used in their resettlement. Most were resettled in DeKalb County as that area has a lower cost of living than other metro Atlanta counties/communities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Agreed 100%.

Still, I do find it puzzling that it takes Muslims being discriminated against to get people's attention. Case in point, Billings, Montana is very close to where I grew up. The Mormon Church wanted to build a temple there on land they already owned. You would not believe how big a stink was raised over that! Out of nowhere, there were protests against them building the thing. Mostly, I think it was other Christians who don't particularly like Mormons who were raising such a stink over it. Every excuse you can imagine to flat out refuse to let them build their temple popped up. None of it made any logical or legal sense. After a lot of drama and a lot of Montanans making themselves look like a bunch of hillbilly bigots, the Mormons were eventually told that they could build it after all. But then limits were placed on how and what they were allowed to build. It could only be one story tall and the spire couldn't be any taller than the current highest church spire in Billings. No logical reason behind all that. I think the city government just wanted to appease all the haters. The Mormons just agreed to the terms they were given and went ahead and built the thing. As I understand it, this is the same sort of thing that happens anywhere else that they want to build one of their temples. That whole scenario was just business as usual for them.

Google search turned up this picture of the thing:

Quite a big stink over what turns out to beautiful, albeit quaint and unremarkable religious structure. So tell me, where was the national news media for all of that?? Clearly, non-Muslims experience similar discrimination. How is it that it's only a national scandal if it's discrimination against Muslims?

I'm completely against telling any religion what they can or cannot build, but I do think that there is significant bias in reporting and moral outrage on the issue.
I also wanted to comment that I do agree that Mormons and other non-Muslims receive similar treatment by hostile, ignorant local citizens. Many people in my own family don't consider Mormons to be Christian (they call them a cult) and they don't like Mormons so I could see a situation like that happening. But I do feel that in general the press doesn't view Mormonism as all that "sexy" like they do Muslims vs Christians. The media likes to focus on more polarizing issues and Christians vs other Christians is just not something they would think would be as controversial as Muslim vs. Christian.

And FWIW, I am an atheist and I don't believe that any religion should be discriminated against in regards to their places of worship unless the building violates already established codes and ordinances. I don't understand how these Tennesseans feel that the mosque would make any difference in their lives. Unless they are Muslims, it won't so they should just shut up and stop making themselves and TN look bad in the press.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:40 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,021 times
I live in the 'Boro. I have yet to go there, but maybe I should soon to show support for the Mosque.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:54 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,869 times
I'm a conservative Republican and a Christian and I have no problems with Muslims building a Mosque somewhere. I disagreed with my fellow conservatives about building a Mosque near ground zero. Islam is a religion, one that I certainly disagree with but Muslims still have the freedom of Religion like us Christians do. It is not Islam we are at war with, it is Radical Islam, there is a difference. You have no right to violate someone's religious freedoms just because they are different than yours. However keep in mind that there are bad people on both sides of this issue. It's not one sided like many are making it out to be.

I also find the hypocrisy among the liberals here to be hilarious! They are standing up for the Religious Freedoms of Muslims, but yet they do no such thing when it's the Religious Freedoms of Christians. Like trying to force Christian business owners to violate their deeply held values and perform a specialty service for something like a gay wedding. Would you be calling "discrimination" if it was a Muslim owned business? I don't think you would. What if a Church was going to be built next to a school? You would probably be freaking out. Liberals are in a rock and a hard place, they try to appeal to groups that will forever be at odds with each other, never realizing their own hypocrisy.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-07-2014 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 04-06-2014, 05:51 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
I also find the hypocrisy among the liberals here to be hilarious! They are standing up for the Religious Freedoms of Muslims, but yet they do no such thing when it's the Religious Freedoms of Christians. Like trying to force Christian business owners to violate their deeply held values and perform a specialty service for something like a gay wedding. Would you be calling "discrimination" if it was a Muslim owned business? I don't think you would. What if a Church was going to be built next to a school? You would probably be freaking out. Liberals are in a rock and a hard place, they try to appeal to groups that will forever be at odds with each other, never realizing their own hypocrisy.
It's not a double standard. I would suggest a Muslim, Jew, or Scientologist who feels that they cannot perform their job due to their religion to seek other employment as well. An observant Jew can't be a public school high school football coach because of games on Friday nights - as a Jew, I have no problem with that. I also have no problem with a business admitting that they cannot follow the law or rules of morality with regards to gay people and need to change their business models. It is not just Christians who might be impacted by anti-discrimination laws - they're just more vocal on the whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies