Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Mr. Horn get life in prison for defending himself against two illegal alien criminals??
YES, he should get life in prison. 18 17.31%
NO, he should be set free! He had a right to personal safety. 77 74.04%
I do not know / Not sure 9 8.65%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 08:52 AM

640 posts, read 461,439 times

Advertisements

Maybe we can all make up our own minds on what the law says....

80(R) SB 378 - Introduced version - Bill Text

Old 12-09-2007, 08:56 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
Maybe we can all make up our own minds on what the law says....

80(R) SB 378 - Introduced version - Bill Text
Quote:
Under Texas law, people may use deadly force to protect their own property or to stop arson, burglary, robbery, theft or criminal mischief at night.

But the legislator who authored the "castle doctrine" bill told the Chronicle it was never intended to apply to a neighbor's property, to prompt a "'Law West of the Pecos' mentality or action," said Republican Sen. Jeff Wentworth. "You're supposed to be able to defend your own home, your own family, in your house, your place of business or your motor vehicle."
At the end of this article:
wjz.com - Texan Joe Horn Kills 2 Suspects While On Phone With 911 (http://wjz.com/national/joe.horn.shoots.2.570499.html - broken link)

This article also says nothing of them being illegal either.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:59 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times
Plus the fact they were both shot in the back is curious...

How many guys with only a crowbar do you think would "rush" or "lunge" at somebody with a gun pointed at them?

Mr. Horn is fried.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:09 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
The good news for Mr Horn is this- the chances they will find 12 people in Pasadena Texas that will vote guilty are about the same as an volcano in Oklahoma!

Old 12-09-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
DOES Texas law give him the right to protect his NEIGHBOR'S property?

In Florida you can shoot anyone in your house without your permission under the "Castle doctrine."

However, it doesn't extend to your neighbor's house or property.... especially if the neighbor wasn't home!
Breaking into mt neighbour's house is the SAME to me as breaking in mine and I too will take steps to stop it and end the threat to my neighbour. I watch out for him and he watches out for me.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:12 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Plus the fact they were both shot in the back is curious...

How many guys with only a crowbar do you think would "rush" or "lunge" at somebody with a gun pointed at them?

Mr. Horn is fried.
Wow.. we agree on something.. haha

Old 12-09-2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
The person was an idiot for shooting them. He deserves jail time. He would have made a better witness. Grab a camera, watch and be the best witness. By going out and putting himself in harms way for someone elses property, the guy is a moron. Of course it is funny to see how there are those who want to make the idiot into some kind of hero because the victims were also illegal aliens who were commiting a crime. Well see when you meet your maker and he/she asked where was your compassion when you supported murderers who were protecting someone elses property and putting themselves into a dangerous situation.
I don't care what the race or immigration status is of a burglar. A burglar is a burglar and they ALL deserve to be shot dead.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I don't care what the race or immigration status is of a burglar. A burglar is a burglar and they ALL deserve to be shot dead.
Then run for state legislature and try to change the laws.. Until then.. a burglar in your neighbors house, does not give you justification to murder them.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post
This was almost like a bystander saw somebody walk out of the store without paying for a $100 DVD player. No one is put in any physical danger. Then as the "alert citizen" is driving away, they see the thief jaywalking. They also see it as their civic duty to hit the gas and squash the guy's head like a mellon.

"He could've had a weapon in his pocket, I was defending myself" is the defense.

The $100 of merchandise is recovered, and Republicans declare victory and try to get a national holiday named after the Hero. When it fails, Ted Kennedy is blamed by Rush and Hannity.
On most issues I am a LIBERAL Democrat. I am a supporter of Barrack Obama. BUT on this, I am with Mr Horn 100%. I think he ought to be "citizen of the year". People are getting fed up with going to work and people who do not want to work thinking they have the right to steal what you and I work hard for. To me he did the right thing. These 2 were bad news and they would have eventually graduated to other crimes like robbery and murder. The justice system cannot or will not deal with them so somebody else has to.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Breaking into mt neighbour's house is the SAME to me as breaking in mine and I too will take steps to stop it and end the threat to my neighbour. I watch out for him and he watches out for me.
Sorry.. the law disagrees with you.. I guess you can always look forward to being Mr Horn's cellmate..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies