U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 06:31 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,302,267 times

Advertisements

On an individual basis many of the Hispanic kids and adults I meet and interact with are wonderful people. But as a group as a whole Hispanic kids don't do as well as white or Asians in school. Read this article or any of the thousands of reports about the skills gap in American schools:

http://news.yahoo.com/report-details...040302563.html

Some time in the next fifty years America will become an Hispanic dominated country. When this happens how will our schools do? Will the Hispanic majority still struggle in school like our Hispanic minority does today? And if they are a majority of the population will America become a country like Mexico where the white population makes most of the money even though they are a small percent of the population.

* In Mexico the people who come from Spain and the rest of Europe control the economy, have the best jobs and have the most power. The rest of the population, who have significant Indian ancestry, don't do as well.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:43 AM

50,525 posts, read 26,677,010 times
Nope. Scary for what?

That shouldn't stop you from doing what you need to do. If they fall short in educational attainment, that's their issue to work out.

As an American, I'm morehan willing to help them do better if they ask for help.

I wouldn't be so quick to run down Mexico for their huge income gap. It ain't like a small cadre of people don't control most of the wealth in this country too.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nope. Scary for what?

That shouldn't stop you from doing what you need to do. If they fall short in educational attainment, that's their issue to work out.

As an American, I'm morehan willing to help them do better if they ask for help.

I wouldn't be so quick to run down Mexico for their huge income gap. It ain't like a small cadre of people don't control most of the wealth in this country too.
So you feel that the achievement gap has no impact on you or the rest of America? Especially when the group with a huge gap is becoming a majority of our population.

I disagree. America is only as good as the achievement of our population.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:08 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,358,804 times
What's scary is nobody is considering this an invasion. Most are illegal or anchor babies.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:17 AM

36,748 posts, read 16,345,668 times
This subject about Hispanics becoming the majority here sometime in the future has been discussed in here many times before yet it keeps being revived over and over. The problem with it is that if and when it happens it will be the direct result of illegal immigration. It is unacceptable because it is neither natural nor lawful. It is true though we aren't getting the crème of the crop jumping our border so the future looks bleak. Hispanics do have a high drop out rate in school and those are just the facts. Facts aren't racist.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:27 AM

I was not expecting a thread about illegal immigration, but instead a thread about the academic challenges of Hispanics when they are becoming the majority of America and it's impact on our prosperity.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:30 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,504,059 times
Sounds like we as a country need to work to improve the education quality and the success rate for the Hispanic community.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:39 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,998,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
On an individual basis many of the Hispanic kids and adults I meet and interact with are wonderful people. But as a group as a whole Hispanic kids don't do as well as white or Asians in school. Read this article or any of the thousands of reports about the skills gap in American schools:

http://news.yahoo.com/report-details...040302563.html

Some time in the next fifty years America will become an Hispanic dominated country. When this happens how will our schools do? Will the Hispanic majority still struggle in school like our Hispanic minority does today? And if they are a majority of the population will America become a country like Mexico where the white population makes most of the money even though they are a small percent of the population.

* In Mexico the people who come from Spain and the rest of Europe control the economy, have the best jobs and have the most power. The rest of the population, who have significant Indian ancestry, don't do as well.
Uh and I DON'T like to say this but; "white" people WILL still be on top since many white Hispanics have the rep of NOT marrying low class Indian ones but will "marry out" with anglo white people.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:46 AM

4,130 posts, read 3,854,852 times
Oh noes, brown people are coming to America and it's gone to hell.

/sarcasm

Did you read the article you posted? It wasn't that Hispanic children are worse because they are Hispanic, it says on average because many come from poverty and underfunded school districts. According to their study with help and good schools everyone fairs about equally...nothing to do with the color of the cells that keep them from bleeding on their clothes.

The article details how it is poverty that is leading to acheivement gaps.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:47 AM

50,525 posts, read 26,677,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
So you feel that the achievement gap has no impact on you or the rest of America? Especially when the group with a huge gap is becoming a majority of our population.

I disagree. America is only as good as the achievement of our population.
Lol...Really now?

Sure, it has an impact on the country. But so what?

Which immigrant group came to this country fully educated? Even the Ellis Island groups were poorly educated.

Like those groups, I trust that Hispanics will eventually gain a reasonable level of education attainment in a few generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or