Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 05:51 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
So in your view, it would be back to the "Whites-only" lunch counter.

No, that is your extreme view.

There may be one or two that try that in todays world, but stupidity, often leads to bankruptcy in business.

It sorts itself out, when people are allowed to be free.

You do know, "White only" was put in place by government(Woodrow Wilson the segregationist). Not free people in society.

They may be free, but they will never be equal. - Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 06:53 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,956,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
So, am I being "discriminated" against by not being able to buy bacon at a Halal store?
Yes, if a halal store sold bacon to everyone but you. But then they wouldn't be a halal store.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:14 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,322 times
Mississippi may get away with it, b/c they're not dependent on Cali for $$$ like Arizona is.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:18 AM

13,929 posts, read 5,614,791 times
And once more, discrimination at the institutional level is already legal in Mississippi and the other 49 states.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:21 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
I can careless about religions , but i dont care if you practice it either. If a business owner does not want to serve someone because he or she is gay and it conflicts with their religion, then so be it. Nobody has to go to that establishment , and the owner will im sure suffer from not enough business.

So because you are a black person other peoples rights should be denied due to your emotions? Do you understand that you are trying to use segregation and slavery as an excuse? The ill effect you get is your mind set that you have... Last time i checked the year read 2014 .. Get on with it.
You never answered how the business owner would tell that a person is gay. There is no way to detect a gay person.

Also, I made no excuses, I told you the facts that issues related to civil rights are a recent issue in the history of our country. The Civil Rights Bill was passed when my mother was a child, she is only 52 years old.

FYI, just because people provide you details to back up their opinion does not equal excuses. Also, I did not mention "slavery." LOL. And I certainly made no excuse for anything. I specifically stated that those of you who believe that these sorts of laws aren't needed are naïve, especially those of the libertarian ilk. Due to that naivety you don't and won't acknowledge the fact that humans are fallible and a society based on that sort of ideology can never be successful, just like a the communist utopia cannot be successful.

You are the primary one getting emotional over this it seems, especially in regards to bringing up slavery when I didn't mention it. I am speaking of discrimination. Gays should not be openly discriminated against and forced into the background of society just because of who they are attracted to. We have an open society and we are a very inclusive society. And in regards to me being black, I am very proud to be so. I am very proud of the contributions that black people have made to this country from before, during, and after slavery to today, so there is no reason for me to have an excuse for anything. I have a great life. But I am not naïve enough to believe that everyone is as smart or as open minded as I am and I am a person who individually does not like to see the rights of others infringed upon.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:48 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,446,701 times
This will get drop kicked out of Court quickly

Old 04-04-2014, 10:51 AM

4,510 posts, read 5,047,659 times
" In Mississippi could soon become legal to discriminate"

Could be the start of getting America back from you bleeding heart liberals.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:16 AM

1,074 posts, read 757,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The state Senate and state House have passed final version SB 2681 known as “Religious Freedom Restoration Act.”
This bill opens the door to discrimination against LGBT people in the form of refusing service at restaurants, etc based on owner of business religious belief. It now heads to the Governor.

Got to hand it to the GOP and their religious right overlords, they never fail to come up with solutions in search of a problem.

Everybody knows what these laws are really about and who they are really aimed at, and it aint about protecting "religious freedom."

It's about giving an acceptable veneer to prejudice, plain and simple. Nobody who is actually paying attention is fooled though.

This law makes no provision on if their discrimination is based on fact. They can discriminate against you if they THINK you are gay.

A waste of tax money homophobic and bigoted separate the church and state!
You can stop with the clichés and usual accusations of discrimination. We've heard it all. This isn't fostering discrimination against anybody. It is to protect people of faith from the kind of tactics that the homosexual militant left uses to demand people who do not wish to act in a way that violates their religious beliefs, do so, or be sued.

It seems that the militant homosexual left does not respect the free speech or rights or Liberty of others, to live out their faith in their lives, and in the way they conduct their business.

The latest casualty in this war on Religious Liberty is the forced resignation of the CEO and co-founder of Mozilla, whose only "crime" was a donation of $1000 to Prop 8 in California. For his free speech right of expressing his view of marriage, his life has been ruined by you and your ilk.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:18 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
You can stop with the clichés and usual accusations of discrimination. We've heard it all.
What happened to free speech? The poster you're responding to isn't speaking in an approved way?

Quote:
The latest casualty in this war on Religious Liberty is the forced resignation of the CEO and co-founder of Mozilla, whose only "crime" was a donation of $1000 to Prop 8 in California. For his free speech right of expressing his view of marriage, his life has been ruined by you and your ilk.
Again, free speech is only permitted for those of whom you approve? I could have sworn that protesting against the Mozilla CEO's free speech is also … free speech. Imagine that.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:20 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,743,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I don't have a problem with these organizations... My only problem is with the oppression that caused these organizations to have to be created in the first place...

ah, the old..................."they are justified "......... defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies