Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 06:08 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'd appreciate the courtesy of not having words put in my mouth.

I didn't say "Little Italy" was good. I don't think it is. We're all Americans. We need to act like it.
So why are we just NOW hearing about how bad all these enclaves really are?

It wouldn't have anything to do with the new groups wanting to set up their "Littles" (that aren't white or Asian), would it?

Because I'm finding the timing of all this displeasure to be awfully specious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 06:12 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,876 times
Default A better Idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Is this the start of balkanization in the U.S?
Seems like China town is a landmark in the U.S with historic juncture.
If these groups have some 'Love from their country of origin" we should let them go home to the old country. Californians better start paying attention to their state and not let their elected Officials sell them !

Old 04-03-2014, 06:12 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'd appreciate the courtesy of not having words put in my mouth.

I didn't say "Little Italy" was good. I don't think it is. We're all Americans. We need to act like it.
Learn to recognize the victim/race card when it is being played.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:16 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,208,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So why are we just NOW hearing about how bad all these enclaves really are?

It wouldn't have anything to do with the new groups wanting to set up their "Littles" (that aren't white or Asian), would it?

Because I'm finding the timing of all this displeasure to be awfully specious.
How many threads do they write whining about Little Odessa or Little Italy.

To be fair, the Germans were maligned by the "natives" back in the 1890's, so hating on immigrants is nothing new.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:28 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperDecker30 View Post
Ugh, every time with this board I swear. You do realize it makes you look like a complete moron by assuming things about people you don't know, right? Why don't you come right out and call me a racist? Funny, considering that I am Hispanic and am against this kind of thing, but you wouldn't know that, now would you? As I said before, I don't like "Little" anything, regardless of skin color and culture.
What does you being Hispanic have to do with it? That's irrelevant.

Again, there have been Little enclaves all over America for well over a hundred years...no complaints.

In many cities, these places are TOURIST attractions!

But all of a sudden out of the blue, for the FIRST TIME, I'm hearing that this stuff isn't such a good idea?

And what is the impetus for this sudden displeasure? Well whaddya know...non white or Asian groups are thinking about setting up the same thing.

Lol...what a coincidence.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:45 PM

310 posts, read 256,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
No. Central American immigrants have already established little communities in those areas years ago. Any sort of conflict would've of happened or is going to happen regardless if you rename one stretch of Vermont.
Are you saying that there hasn't been conflict in L.A. between Salvadorians and Colombians? Because that couldn't be further from the truth.

Quote:
It was sort of a snarky comment about how fast LA is gentrifying. Many of those areas though already were rundown at one point, they're actually improving as of late as LA property values go up. The irony is that the Central American groups are just trying to carve out a small neighborhood identity in an area that gets thrown together as Koreatown continues to expand--which is ma big area. But Koreatown is rapidly a cool area for people outside the area to check out(or move to). Just like places that were predominantly Hispanic like Echo Park have become hip areas for transplants recently.
I don't know, I've been Koreatown and driving around there is a nightmare. I can't even count on both hands the times I almost got hit by another driver there lol.

Quote:
What a jerk! Only gentrification can prevent organized crime!
You should knock off the sarcasm and look at the quote in the context I was using it, I was showing you that they are doing this not for hipsters such as yourself, but for the people of those communities that feel that they need an identity like the Koreans and such.

Quote:
You could tell me Zankou Chicken was owned by the Armenian Mob, wouldn't matter to me--it's still delicious.
And that is your prerogative, even if I highly disagree with it like the innocent people in that community probably do.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:48 PM

310 posts, read 256,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What does you being Hispanic have to do with it? That's irrelevant.

Again, there have been Little enclaves all over America for well over a hundred years...no complaints.

In many cities, these places are TOURIST attractions!

But all of a sudden out of the blue, for the FIRST TIME, I'm hearing that this stuff isn't such a good idea?

And what is the impetus for this sudden displeasure? Well whaddya know...non white or Asian groups are thinking about setting up the same thing.

Lol...what a coincidence.
It is not irrelevant when you were insinuating that I am a racist against Latinos, probably a white racist right?

And this is the first I have heard of this, so it is not like I could voice displeasure about something that I didn't know about so.....

Some of those enclaves may be tourist attractions, but some of them tourists do not want to be wandering into.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:50 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,491 times
I support this 100%; multiculturalism is a cancer and these zones would be a check to it's metastasis.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:53 PM

161 posts, read 172,022 times
I like these little enclaves. Not only are they tourist attractions, but it provides people with a way to escape from regular american culture and you get to experience something new and exotic. It also helps out small business owners. Whether people agree or not though, people have the right to act any way they want to as long as they are not doing anything illegal.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:01 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,739,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
If these groups have some 'Love from their country of origin" we should let them go home to the old country. Californians better start paying attention to their state and not let their elected Officials sell them !
Amen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies