Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2014, 05:59 AM

1,074 posts, read 758,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You mean an election that was voted on by a majority of the voters in California? Does that mean that more than half of all employees in California should lose their jobs?
Good point.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:04 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

I don't take the bible literally, and think we need to remember that the bible was written in the context of the time. But there are others who truly believe it should be taken literally.
Wow, Those were really bad translations you quoted. For a translator to even use the word homosexuals is intellectually dishonest. The Hebrew word "qadesh" means male temple prostitute, as 'qadesha' meant female temple prostitute. Not homosexuals. The Greek words "malakos" and "arsenokoites" do not mean homosexuals. There were Greek words available at time that could have been used if that's what Paul meant. But he didn't. Ancient pagan temple prostitutes, slave traders etc, have nothing at all to do with gay and lesbian people. Male rape, has nothing to do with homosexuality or gay men. What the heck version was that you quoted? The NLT?

Most biblical literalists don't even know what the original cultures were even like or what the languages were. Heck, some of them even think the Bible was written in English or that Joan of Arc was Noah's wife. Most don't even know the history of their own religion or have even read the whole Bible let alone studied it. Why should we pander to people who think like children and misuse a book they don't even understand as an excuse to lash out at others and restrict or trample on their rights or discriminate against them? They can believe whatever they like, but their rights should stop where the rights of others begin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
What happened to Mr. Eich is an affront not to the bible, but our deeply held national value of the freedom to participate in the political process without fear of reprisal. That, my friend is scary. This time you agree with the beliefs espoused by the bullies, what happens when you don't? This smacks of McCarthyism, something I hoped we wouldn't see again in my lifetime.
What reprisal? There was no reprisal from the government. This isn't about free-speech. This isn't anything like McCarthyism where it was the government turning on it's citizens.

This is about customers and the company employees themselves saying we don't want someone as a CEO who not only thinks it's perfectly okay to "eliminate the rights of same-sex couples to marry" but went out of his way to help it be enshrined in the State's law. It's not in line with their company's values as stated in their company values statement.

If he was an Chief Financial Officer, or Operations Director or some other position, it probably wouldn't have mattered. But the CEO is the public face of a company - representing the company, and representing the company's values.

If he had supported KKK groups or Neo-Nazi groups or expressed really sexist attitudes, the same thing could have happened if that was not in line with the image the company and it's customers wanted to project.

Last edited by Ceist; 04-06-2014 at 06:22 AM..

Old 04-06-2014, 06:09 AM

1,074 posts, read 758,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanexpatriate View Post
His vision could not be unpopular in california 2008 where Prop. 8 won with a very tight margin of 52%, which demonstrates that a highly polarized state, in which region they he live and work voted strongly against, so today we can say yes it's an unpopular opinion in california especially in the environment where he works and lives. Every action creates a reaction, and this was the reaction , the people have to learn to deal with the consequences of their actions, and if they are too radical ,fight for change , was well so the homosexuals has managed to turn public opinion in his favor.
So, should Mozilla and other companies fire any employees that supported Prop 8, or share Brendan Eich's views? Is this the new America? If we hold views that are not so popular in the particular area in which we live, we should move out or be subject to ridicule and termination of our employment?

It seems that's what the Mayor of New York believes, who has told Conservatives that they are not welcome.

I love to see you people expressing these views, because it exposes the Progressive Left for who they are. Many Americans previously have been clueless as to just who our enemy is. You are helping to make it very clear. Progressivism, and progressive thought is the enemy of Liberty and freedom. It must be defeated in 2014, 2016 and beyond, if America is to survive as a free nation.

Thanks!

Old 04-06-2014, 06:12 AM

872 posts, read 827,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
So, should Mozilla and other companies fire any employees that supported Prop 8, or share Brendan Eich's views? Is this the new America? If we hold views that are not so popular in the particular area in which we live, we should move out or be subject to ridicule and termination of our employment?

It seems that's what the Mayor of New York believes, who has told Conservatives that they are not welcome.

I love to see you people expressing these views, because it exposes the Progressive Left for who they are. Many Americans previously have been clueless as to just who our enemy is. You are helping to make it very clear. Progressivism, and progressive thought is the enemy of Liberty and freedom. It must be defeated in 2014, 2016 and beyond, if America is to survive as a free nation.

Thanks!
Yes, this is the New America we live in. Scary, isn't it?

Old 04-06-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
This is why I refer to it as "mob rule" which is the definition of "true democracy" (which could also be called the "tyranny of the majority"). In actuality it is "mob rule." The homosexual bigots mobilized and organized this assault on the man's company to have him removed, threatening a boycott (the thread was posted here on C-D, as well as, I'm sure, were the calls to boycott posted elsewhere).
Wow. You really have no clue what tyranny of the majority means do you? Prop 8 was an example of 'tyranny of the majority'.
Quote:
The progressive pro-homosexual Leftists have been having a field day laughing at me and ridiculing me for the use of this term (that's just an Alinsky tactic, really - it's the game), but they know very well that what I have called it is the truth. That's precisely why they have responded as they have. Progressives are so predictable. You know when you are effective by their response. They jump into action. They can't let anything get passed.
You've shown that you couldn't recognise the truth even if you fell over it. You'd just pick yourself up, dust yourself off and walk on as if you never saw it.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
What are you going to do? The object of your hatred and bigotry, Brendan Eich, is the inventor of Java Script, without which most Web sites, including this one, would not function. So, like it or not, you are using his invention every day, and the fact remains that he is still the brains behind Mozilla Firefox, even if he is no longer part of the company. His name will be on it forever. You can't change that. You're supporting him, like it or not.
Why the heck would I hate Brendan Eich? I don't even know the man. So what if he invented JavaScript? You really are being a drama queen. I'm not the one squawking hysterically about boycotting anything.

But hey, just to ruffle your britches - did you know that Alan Turing was considered the father of computing? And he was gay. So every time you use a computer, you can thank his memory.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:00 AM

129 posts, read 101,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
Why the heck would I hate Brendan Eich? I don't even know the man. So what if he invented JavaScript? You really are being a drama queen. I'm not the one squawking hysterically about boycotting anything.

But hey, just to ruffle your britches - did you know that Alan Turing was considered the father of computing? And he was gay. So every time you use a computer, you can thank his memory.
Obama was against gay marriage at the same time Eich supported prop 8, so why don't you hold Obama to the same standard? Because he's a democrat I assume.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkyler View Post
Obama was against gay marriage at the same time Eich supported prop 8, so why don't you hold Obama to the same standard? Because he's a democrat I assume.
I'm not holding Eich to any standard. Mozilla's employees, it's BOD and it's customers are.

I personally couldn't give two hoots what his opinions on gay people are.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:15 AM

129 posts, read 101,234 times
Quote:
I'm not holding Eich to any standard. Mozilla's employees, it's BOD and it's customers are.

I personally couldn't give two hoots what his opinions on gay people are.
If that's the case you must not have a problem with westboro baptists either, since you said this:

Quote:
I don't see a lot of difference between people who go out of their way to advocate against same-sex marriage - and the Westboro Baptists. The Westboros are a little more honest and less hypocritical about their hatred towards gay and lesbian people maybe.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkyler View Post
If that's the case you must not have a problem with westboro baptists either, since you said this:
I don't have a problem with them. I think they are obnoxious idiots. They have the right to express their obnoxious idiocy. And I'm happy they show what hypocritical religious extremism can be like. They are just more honest about their malice and hatred than the average anti-gay fundy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies