Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 11:50 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,202,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
And you're doing the exact same thing if you support the state in making the call as it pertains to marriage. Forcing your views of marriage on others.
By allowing government to make the call for everyone is just another form of tyranny. Marriage should be left up to the churches and if individuals or businesses want to accept or rebuff it that should be their call.
Allowing same sex civil marriage forces NOTHING on you. You do not have to like SSM, you do not have to agree with SSM, you do not have to attend a SSM, you do not have to have a SSM. BUT by banning same sex civil marriage you are in fact preventing others from living how they choose. You are forcing your beliefs into my everyday life.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:52 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,502,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
There are tens of thousands of people who supported Proposition 8–do they all deserve to be bullied and persecuted until they lose their jobs? Why stop there? Maybe they should lose their homes, and their families and friends–maybe they just don’t deserve to live?
Of course they all didn't donate to the proposition, did they? Because he went further than just voting.

Or maybe they should just nullify their marriage instead.

Would it seem more fair if the gay community passed a proposition to deny marriage to anyone that donated for prop 8?

Old 04-07-2014, 11:52 AM

1,074 posts, read 757,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
They're fighting for their right to have the same legal rights as other citizens, not for "personal views." Unless you consider being legally discriminated against a "personal view."

Nice try at deflection. Or do you really not get it, after all this time?
Baloney! They have the same legal rights already. I'm tired of arguing this point, but you keep restating this ridiculous nonsense. And this isn't "legal discrimination," either.

There is absolutely no basis for redefining marriage to include two people of the same sex! That is a complete abomination, and goes against all of human history, what is natural for man, and is an affront to God.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:54 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,196 times
There was no 'gay mafia' that drove out Eich. I like this analysis.. and the counter comments:
The Fall of Brendan Eich Happened Without Us

Old 04-07-2014, 11:58 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,187,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
The gays claim to be an oppressed and powerless minority. Yet if you offend them, your career is over before sundown. No other modern group or institution (the church, the army, the government, the oil companies) has that power.
LMAO..."the church."

Speaking of which, look at how folks (probably you too) went after Reverend Wright who was ALREADY RETIRED for exercising his free speech in his own church.

In any case, i've never heard gays claim to be oppressed and powerless.

If they can't marry however, they're being oppressed.

How that relates to the church, army or the oil companies is beyond me.

Do you WANT those entities to have that kind of power?

Old 04-07-2014, 11:58 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,385,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Of course they all didn't donate to the proposition, did they? Because he went further than just voting.

Or maybe they should just nullify their marriage instead.

Would it seem more fair if the gay community passed a proposition to deny marriage to anyone that donated for prop 8?
Having your civil rights challenged or infringed is not license to do the same to others. Being vindictive reflects poorly on those seeking vengeance, and makes them no better than those they’re persecuting–in my opinion.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:00 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,502,780 times
What the gay community tried to do to Eich is not nearly as bad as what he tried to do to them.

Fair's fair.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:02 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
Baloney! They have the same legal rights already. I'm tired of arguing this point, but you keep restating this ridiculous nonsense. And this isn't "legal discrimination," either.

There is absolutely no basis for redefining marriage to include two people of the same sex! That is a complete abomination, and goes against all of human history, what is natural for man, and is an affront to God.
No, they don't have the same rights. I don't know why you keep repeating this incorrect argument either.

And the federal government is not permitted to cater to your god, no matter how affronted he gets. A good look at the Constitution would tell you that.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:06 PM

88,988 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Totally. This is how I feel about the blacks. I use to be on board with their civil rights movement, but then they got all uppity and starting asking for crazy things like reparations.
Reparations from whom is the question? Free Blacks owned slaves. How are they going to determine who owes the reparations and who should receive them?

The Black Slave Owners

Old 04-07-2014, 12:11 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,971,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Well, it's not as though he just offended them.

He went out of his way to try to keep them from getting married.

So they went out of their way to make him lose his job.

Why should he be able to use his resources to fight them, but they not be able to punch back?
So you think the majority of Californian's should lose their jobs too? Because they did the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies