Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 02:32 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
*** and no longer do.
*** and most likely didn't even have at the time.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:34 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
I dunno. How does that affect whether or not Mr. Eich was a bigot? Is he Obama's conjoined twin or something?
Whether Mr Eich (sp?) was a bigot is really beside the point. As long as he was a bigot in his private life, and not a bigot at the workplace (and there is zero evidence that he was a bigot in the workplace), then he has a right to be a bigot. Moreover, just as anyone else has the opportunity to evolve over the past decade (and there is compelling evidence given the polls that millions have evolved in their views regarding homosexuality and same-sex marriage), no one deserves to be pilloried over their past opinions which were expressed as a private individual, not as a public figure, and not as a CEO.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:35 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Great, but don't be a hypocrite, boycott Google also - Mozilla gets 98% of its funding from Google.

I don't use Google

Old 04-07-2014, 02:39 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I'm fully with you in spirit, but....

I agree with this. I don't see any attractive alternative at this point.

I use Bling and there are several web browsers out there
I just do not want to see the far left Gay right loons get away with this I can not stand them besides who else is next? most gay folks are not like this it is the hateful and spiteful that not just want gay marriage, which I support, but these folks are rabid~~

Old 04-07-2014, 02:40 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Whether Mr Eich (sp?) was a bigot is really beside the point. As long as he was a bigot in his private life, and not a bigot at the workplace (and there is zero evidence that he was a bigot in the workplace), then he has a right to be a bigot. Moreover, just as anyone else has the opportunity to evolve over the past decade (and there is compelling evidence given the polls that millions have evolved in their views regarding homosexuality and same-sex marriage), no one deserves to be pilloried over their past opinions which were expressed as a private individual, not as a public figure, and not as a CEO.

Indeed. Good post. I'll add this. I believe that you cannot force ANYONE to change. I do feel that person has to have the will to change. Some will change their views, and evolve. All you can really do is plant the seed. However; if you try to force someone to change, it only breeds more discontent, and in the end solves nothing!

Old 04-07-2014, 02:42 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Eich has not changed his opinions.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:45 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
While I personally think it’s stupid to support a legal ban on gay marriage, the fact that this guy was forced to step down because of contributing money to that cause is downright ridiculous. Does Mozilla have a domestic partner healthcare policy? Had the ceo nixed that? probably not and they probably employ plenty of gays, hetero’s, and lord knows what else.

What if the shoe was on the other foot–ceo actively supports gay marriage, and forced to step down as a result?

It’s a slippery slope and i don’t like it one bit. The board of Mozilla should grow some grapes. If the new ceo is incompetent and tanks the company, I hope they get sued.
Meh. Most CEOs are incompetent, and it rarely bothers management. They reward it.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:47 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
I use Bling and there are several web browsers out there
I just do not want to see the far left Gay right loons get away with this I can not stand them besides who else is next? most gay folks are not like this it is the hateful and spiteful that not just want gay marriage, which I support, but these folks are rabid~~
Bling is a spyware toolbar not a browser. Get rid of it and hose yourself down.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:50 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
I first of all don't think boycotts are very effective as a means of protest. Now we have gay activists boycotted to protest Eich's appointment, gay activists that want to continue to boycott to protest that Eich was ever appointed, anti-boycotters that want to boycott because they think the company was wrong for accepting Eich's resignation....

It's a complete fiasco for Mozilla, and it's sad.

While I am 100% for gay people and for equality and for freedom of speech, I think that Mr Eich's and Mozilla are being punished McCarthy style, in this instance. Mr Eich's actions as a private individual had nothing to do with Mozilla. Moreover, he was entitled to his opinion, and to contribute to a political cause he believed in. The fact that his action was years ago reminds me of the McCarthy hearings, where if someone attended a political meeting a decade or two ago, then McCarthy and his cohorts felt free to destroy that person's reputation and career.

Fervor can be a dangerous thing.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:52 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
They're fighting for their right to have the same legal rights as other citizens, not for "personal views." Unless you consider being legally discriminated against a "personal view."

Nice try at deflection. Or do you really not get it, after all this time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
Legally discriminated?? Is that like being kinda pregnant?
How does one leap to "being kinda pregnant" from the words "being legally discriminated against"?

That makes no sense at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies