Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 05:43 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Bigotry is not funny but this story has nothing to do with bigotry.
Prop 8 was, I am sorry to say, bigotry. Gays were already getting married in CA - the Prop 8 backers didn't just limit somebody's rights, they went out to take rights away from people.

The campaign was stomach-turning - it hardly touched on marriage at all, it was all fear-based propaganda about how OMG the children would be subjected to gay indoctrination in school and all the churches would be forced to perform gay marriages. Fabrication and spin, of course, but very emotional and very well done.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:45 PM

1,074 posts, read 757,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
If he would have made that contribution to the KKK would you feel the same way?
Look. There is no comparison between the KKK and donating to support traditional marriage. Of course that would be different! What the KKK stood for had no grounding in the Christian faith, or the Constitution. Preserving marriage does.

It is phony arguments like this that discredit the entire "gay rights" movement.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:46 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,094,770 times
Quote:
Hammer I know you and I have gone back and forth here but why does that even matter?
I doesn't really matter that much. But somebody said something false about Intel, and spreading false information rubs me the wrong way, so I correct it whenever I can.

Quote:
If I were so against gay marriage and ESPN decided to support gay marriage do you think I would boycott ESPN? I mean cmon.
Let's compare apples-to-apples. I mean c'mon - gay marriage has no effect on you whatsoever, but banning gay marriage has a very real effect on me. The better question is how would you feel - and how would you react - if ESPN funded an initiative to ban Christians from civil marriage and take away the ability of Christians to exercise the legal rights of civil marriage?

Old 04-07-2014, 05:46 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,994,436 times
You have no "right" to get married. Show me where that "right" is in the big paper. It isnt' there.

Maybe it was stomach turning for you...........most didn't care. Why do you want to force a church to marry ones who don't conform to their religion. Start you own church. You know freedom of religion and all. Go start gay churches and don't force what YOU want on others. Why is that so hard to understand? Im not saying I agree or disagree with the church stance but who are you to force them to do what they don't believe in?

Old 04-07-2014, 05:47 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,376,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyGringo71 View Post
these people are morons.....PROP 8 was a legal referendum , you either vote yes or no in defining the definition of marriage in the state between 1 man and 1 woman.

over 7 million people voted for YES, the majority.....should we all hunt them down at their workplace?
No, the ballot stated Prop 8 "eliminates the rights of same-sex couples to marry". The Prop 8 trial proved it was based on anti-gay animus.

And 6,401,482 voted No on Prop 8. 7,000,000 was hardly an overwhelming majority and was nothing close to a majority of all Californians..

Last edited by Ceist; 04-07-2014 at 06:48 PM..

Old 04-07-2014, 05:48 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,500,690 times
Quote:
A guy dropping a thousand bucks six years ago gets you all riled up? Who else did he donate to? How many other "causes" did he donate too? You "army" types don't even care. All you care about is what you are told to squeal about. Who's life did this man destroy? Name them? You can't. You never will yet you scream on and make wild accusations about some guy who gave a thousand bucks six years ago. You didn't even know about any of this yet now it is the battle front for the "gay army". You folks are so lost it's sad anymore. Just pathetic. You know there are folks who do discriminate against gays and you take this as your issue which is just stupid. You don't even realize it because you do what your told. Scream on...........nobody will take you serious when you do **** like this. Well nobody other then your fellow "gay army" heroes. Go squeal away. Nobody is listening.
I'm not riled up at all.

I just don't feel sorry for Eich.

He went out of his way to make life hard on gay people, and then gay people went out of their way to make life on him.

Gay people have the right to boycott just like Eich has the right to donate to political causes.

I get the feeling some people are upset because they are beginning to realize that bigotry isn't consequence free any more.

One has the right to be a bigot, but there are consequences.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
Look. There is no comparison between the KKK and donating to support traditional marriage. Of course that would be different! What the KKK stood for had no grounding in the Christian faith, or the Constitution. Preserving marriage does.

It is phony arguments like this that discredit the entire "gay rights" movement.
But you would agree that one couldn't hide behind the argument that what he did in his own time with his own money shouldn't reflect on his job, right?

I would assume that to gay people voting to deny them the right to get married is just like donating to the KKK. It may not be that way to you, but it is to them.

And gay people have the right to boycott just like Eich has the right to fund propositions.

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
You have no "right" to get married. Show me where that "right" is in the big paper. It isnt' there.
Loving v. Virginia.

Quote:
Maybe it was stomach turning for you...........most didn't care.
Eh? People got riled up enough to go out to vote to take somebody's legal rights away. They did care.

Quote:
Why do you want to force a church to marry ones who don't conform to their religion. Start you own church. You know freedom of religion and all. Go start gay churches and don't force what YOU want on others. Why is that so hard to understand? Im not saying I agree or disagree with the church stance but who are you to force them to do what they don't believe in?
That's rather the point - nobody wanted to force churches to do anything. However, the Prop 8 agitprop out-and-out lied about that. Apparently bearing false witness is OK, as long you feel really strongly about the gays being kept in their place.

29,407 posts, read 21,994,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I doesn't really matter that much. But somebody said something false about Intel, and spreading false information rubs me the wrong way, so I correct it whenever I can.

Let's compare apples-to-apples. I mean c'mon - gay marriage has no effect on you whatsoever, but banning gay marriage has a very real effect on me. The better question is how would you feel - and how would you react - if ESPN funded an initiative to ban Christians from civil marriage and take away the ability of Christians to exercise the legal rights of civil marriage?
I agree with you. Hell I don't give a rip. I support gay marriage but what I don't support is what I call the "gay army" trying to strongarm folks. In reality marriage is BS. Who cares. Uncle Sam just has you now and can audit that marriage contract whenever they want to force you to do what they see fit. Plus they get paid when you sign it. Why anybody wants to get married I don't know. You love somebody or you don't. Hell the argument of health coverage is gone now with the great obama too so why sign the sheet unless you have kids. Gays can't unless they adopt. Actually mine are all getting old now.....I may have to adopt one to coach again. LOL

Jumping this Mozilla guy for him giving a grand six years ago is just plain "gay army" nonsense. You can't expect everyone to just conform to your beliefs. You can never expect everyone to do that but the army does and if you don't they will be after you. I have a problem with that I guess.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:

Maybe it was stomach turning for you...........most didn't care. Why do you want to force a church to marry ones who don't conform to their religion. Start you own church. You know freedom of religion and all. Go start gay churches and don't force what YOU want on others. Why is that so hard to understand? Im not saying I agree or disagree with the church stance but who are you to force them to do what they don't believe in?
Nobody care about the church part. It's the part that happens at the courthouse that matters. Churches aren't that hard to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies