Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 06:03 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON, Dec. 6 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Speaker Nancy Pelosi
spoke on the floor this afternoon voicing her support for the Energy
Independence and Security Act. It passed the House floor with a vote of 235
to 181. Below are the Speaker's remarks:

"My colleagues, this is a very important day for our country. A day in
which this Congress can declare itself a Congress for the future. A
Congress for America's children. Earlier today, some of you saw me
reference this baseball, signed by Bobby Thomson. 'The Shot Heard 'Round
the World,' October 3, 1951, an historic day in baseball. When he signed
this baseball, he referenced a phrase used by Ralph Waldo Emerson,
referencing the shot fired at Concord, which began the American Revolution,
the fight for American independence. If Bobby Thomson could reference a
'shot heard 'round the world,' we should indeed be able to do it today.

PR Newswire - news distribution, targeting and monitoring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 06:18 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,629,228 times
Always, ALWAYS be sure to read the fine print any time a Dem says its for the children. Thats their favorite heartstring to tug at when they want support on something.

I have no problem with the idea of stricter mpg's on vehicles. But I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here and say theres more this than just MPG.

Anybody got a link where I can read the bill?

Old 12-07-2007, 06:23 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Always, ALWAYS be sure to read the fine print any time a Dem says its for the children. Thats their favorite heartstring to tug at when they want support on something.

I have no problem with the idea of stricter mpg's on vehicles. But I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here and say theres more this than just MPG.

Anybody got a link where I can read the bill?
Always!

Old 12-07-2007, 06:36 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Ya know, it's true. Both parties have what they think are their unassailable verbal wild cards.

On the left, "It's for the children."
On the right, "It's for freedom."

Old 12-07-2007, 06:42 AM

640 posts, read 461,439 times
The energy bill just made it through the House. It still has to get through the Senate which, by all accounts, isn't going to happen. If by chance it did get passed through, the President will veto it according to the White House. It's a bill full of a lot more than 35mpg per gallon of gas. Dems always try to force the pork through on these bills that will supposedly "help America's children".....

Old 12-07-2007, 07:05 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,629,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
Ya know, it's true. Both parties have what they think are their unassailable verbal wild cards.

On the left, "It's for the children."
On the right, "It's for freedom."

No doubt. Oppose them and you will be called:

From the right
A freedom hater
Unpatriotic

From the left
Child hater
poor/minority hater

Old 12-07-2007, 07:14 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
Hopefully this "shot" will be Pelosi being shot out of a circus cannon.

35mpg cars? Haven't the Japanese been making these since the 1970's? How about pedal powered Hummers instead, and top it off with a bike rack on the back.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Been here, done this. I owned a business that specialized in the restoration and operation of small hydroelectric power plants in the late 70's. The business was going to branch out to include solar and wind power. The business was not making a lot of money but we were surviving well enough to see it start to really grow. Then four things happened. Ronny Raygun was elected; alternate energy tax breaks went away, the Saudi’s cut oil prices in half and my customer base evaporated. At least we closed the business without owing anyone any money but our savings were pretty much eliminated.

I see the current quest for alternates as an instant repeat of the early 80’s but with a difference created by a greatly increased demand for oil by China and India. This will likely hold the world price for oil above (guessing here) $75 per barrel. I have also noticed that some of the big boys like GE, BP, Exxon and others have figured a way to own the sun and wind so they will fight for the creation of more government subsidies and protect these subsidies.

I still have the desire to develop alternate energy systems (CHP) for remote locations and supplemental energy. As I am ready to retire I will have a pension to cover my living expenses while I set up new business. I hope this time it will be successful but even if it is not a huge success it should provide interesting work and hopefully pay for itself.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:35 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
a lot of fear and distrust of this government. trust starts with enforcing existing laws or changing them. it starts with fiscal responsibility.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:47 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
The US has been fiscally irresponsible since we got our first taste of Empire back in the late 1800's. The militarists and our foreign investors have been pampered by the government ever since and many more of us got rich supplying the world with war materials and soldiers than died of the effort. The first and most important step to fiscal responsibility will be abandoning the Empire and the pretense of ruling the world It is time to let the people that own the world to maintain the world. We cannot afford it any longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies