Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 10:38 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,745,831 times

Advertisements

of course they can afford to pay more. the real question is can the federal government manage more money. the answer to that question is, and always has been, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2022, 11:54 AM

4,651 posts, read 1,947,159 times
how about if the poor and middle class can afford to buy cigarettes/alcohol or heck thousand dollar cell phones they can afford to pay more in taxes, right? The point is most of America can afford to pay more in taxes given how much we spend on junk but not Can WE but Should we is the question. Revenue is never the Governments problem, SPENDING is. Just look at the past doesn't matter how much they take in they always want more. The Government is like an addict who will never have enough until their heart explodes.

Old 08-07-2022, 12:01 PM

5,644 posts, read 6,204,196 times
Not sure why this 2014 thread was dug up, but the question is misplaced. If most are honest we could "afford" to pay more taxes in the sense that we could cut back on savings or vacations or eating out or whatever, but why is that the question? Government isn't doing a good job with the money it gets in now. And taken to an extreme this mindset eliminates any incentive for people to work hard and be productive members of society, Why work harder if all the incremental effort just gets sucked away by taxes?

Old 08-07-2022, 12:25 PM

4,541 posts, read 2,263,881 times
I gave always been a low tax kind of gal but now I want the rich taxed to the hilt. I’m sick of them flying around in their private jets, telling us to reduce our carbon footprints. I’m sick of the hypocrites. Tax them more.

Old 08-07-2022, 07:44 PM

1,885 posts, read 1,001,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
of course they can afford to pay more. the real question is can the federal government manage more money. the answer to that question is, and always has been, no.
They can, they just don't. Just like how we can have a very simplified automated tax process, but tax preparation companies lobbied to keep it complicated, lest it is revealed that their industry is useless busy-work (among other reasons).

Old 08-08-2022, 04:40 AM

37,952 posts, read 17,848,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Not sure why this 2014 thread was dug up, but the question is misplaced. If most are honest we could "afford" to pay more taxes in the sense that we could cut back on savings or vacations or eating out or whatever, but why is that the question? Government isn't doing a good job with the money it gets in now. And taken to an extreme this mindset eliminates any incentive for people to work hard and be productive members of society, Why work harder if all the incremental effort just gets sucked away by taxes?
$356,000 spent on studying whether or not Japanese quail are more sexually promiscuous on cocaine.

Are you saying that's not productive?

Old 08-08-2022, 05:10 AM

24,596 posts, read 9,434,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
I gave always been a low tax kind of gal but now I want the rich taxed to the hilt. I’m sick of them flying around in their private jets, telling us to reduce our carbon footprints. I’m sick of the hypocrites. Tax them more.
"Tax them more."

Why? You think you're going to see a penny of that tax money from Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos when they sale shares of their stock? That money will be going to Ukraine (in the pockets of the elite) and climate change (corporations via contracts).

Old 08-08-2022, 07:28 AM

1,108 posts, read 527,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I'm talking about effective tax rates, not dollar amounts...of course you probably knew that already, neo-con.
What crap effective rate is another way to twist an argument anyway you what. You are wrong its about how damn much i paid in taxes and how much you paid -simple to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies