Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 05:29 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Kind of a theoretical question that must be asked in lieu of the Supreme Court's decision earlier this week. If the rich have so much money to give that they needed the high court to allow them to give even more money to political campaigns, they should be able to afford to pay higher taxes, right?
If I have four houses, I should be able to allow homeless guys to live in there for free, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 05:36 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
The rich donate money to political campaigns so they Don't have to pay high taxes...

Old 04-05-2014, 05:39 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Your talking about the "Oracle Of Omaha." Warren Buffet is arguably one of the greatest investors of all time.

Who is a better source for investment strategies (or) the best tax rates for billionaires?

Who should we trust more than Buffet?

Oracle Of Omaha Definition | Investopedia

Should we trust Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly more than Warren Buffet in these matters?

(I wish I could laugh, but its just too stupid.)
Buffet got rich by NOT paying taxes.. Why would you cite him as an example the liberal utopia?

Old 04-05-2014, 06:05 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
I'm talking about effective tax rates, not dollar amounts...of course you probably knew that already, neo-con.
For what, so you can get more freebie handouts you feel entitled to that you didn't work for?

Old 04-05-2014, 06:11 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I'm confused, how can anyone defend the right for the extremely wealthy to openly buy/rent politicians? There is a politicans already who has the audacity to claim that they are already underpaid, but yet some of you are arguing over which party has screwed over the most people considering they are one and the same.

As long as we stand divided over stupid stuff, the do nothing Congress, puppet president, stupid senators and bought off SC will continue to rake us ALL over the coals.

I'm as irritated as you are about politicians being pruchased. However, maybe we should start putting 99 & 44/100th percent of the blame on our elected officials who allow themselves to be purchased to do the bidding of the highest bidder. If something is for sale that you think shouldn't be, why would you blame me if I buy it ? Without someone offering it for sale, I'd not be able to buy it in the first place.

Starts with electing new people in most cases. Don't vote for the guy with a 30 second TV ad on ever 15 minutes in the weeks leading up to the election. Don't automatically vote for the guy with the most splashy billboards and signs in everyone's yard. You pretty much know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the guys with all the TV ads and billboards and yard signs are owned by somebody who's financed their campaign with lots of cash and want a return on that investment.

Look over the entire slate of candidates and seek them out to ask them questions if you're unsure of their views on issues. It's not like the "big money" candidates are telling us much of the truth anyway beyond good sounding sound bites and catchy phrases which are basically meaningless dribble....kind of like offering us a "shiny quarter" for our vote !

Old 04-05-2014, 06:17 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Kind of a theoretical question that must be asked in lieu of the Supreme Court's decision earlier this week. If the rich have so much money to give that they needed the high court to allow them to give even more money to political campaigns, they should be able to afford to pay higher taxes, right?
Why is it any of yours or my business what rich people do with their money?....

Old 04-05-2014, 06:53 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Tax avoidance is part of the reason Warren Buffet is rich. He knows how to play the game. Take a closer look at just where Warren stands when it really comes down to paying his taxes. Not at what he says about Do a google search and you'll find tons of information about Buffets hypocrisy.

Warren Buffet is a hypocrite like many other rich liberals.
Warren Buffett: Hypocrite Extraordinaire
Buffett a Hypocrite for Seeking Tax on Ultra-Rich: Laffer
Crain's Chicago Business : Subscription Center

Last edited by petch751; 04-05-2014 at 07:19 PM..

Old 04-05-2014, 07:19 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Your talking about the "Oracle Of Omaha." Warren Buffet is arguably one of the greatest investors of all time.
chad3, you never heard the saying the following sayings

Taxes will keep you poor.
To get rich you have to learn how to make money, then you have to learn how to keep your money.

Both of the above sayings refer to government "robbing you" of your money. People like Buffet know how to keep governments hands out of their pocket or limit how much they takes thereby allowing them to build their wealth and become rich. You can not get rich if the government keeps taking too much of what you make.

Buffet has already built his wealth, what does he care if the government takes more of your money? He doesn't, he believes in higher taxes "on the other guy".

Old 04-05-2014, 09:00 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
The rich donate money to political campaigns so they Don't have to pay high taxes...
Taxes can be one issue...but, there are many others.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:00 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
I'm as irritated as you are about politicians being pruchased. However, maybe we should start putting 99 & 44/100th percent of the blame on our elected officials who allow themselves to be purchased to do the bidding of the highest bidder. If something is for sale that you think shouldn't be, why would you blame me if I buy it ? Without someone offering it for sale, I'd not be able to buy it in the first place.

Starts with electing new people in most cases. Don't vote for the guy with a 30 second TV ad on ever 15 minutes in the weeks leading up to the election. Don't automatically vote for the guy with the most splashy billboards and signs in everyone's yard. You pretty much know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the guys with all the TV ads and billboards and yard signs are owned by somebody who's financed their campaign with lots of cash and want a return on that investment.

Look over the entire slate of candidates and seek them out to ask them questions if you're unsure of their views on issues. It's not like the "big money" candidates are telling us much of the truth anyway beyond good sounding sound bites and catchy phrases which are basically meaningless dribble....kind of like offering us a "shiny quarter" for our vote !

Excellent post! This is the reason that I find it easier to get behind local politicians because they are usually more accessible. When was the last time that you could really sit down and talked to your Congressman? At best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies