Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 07:32 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Nope...

I've been hearing this for years, and with each election, Texas gets darker red. No democrat has won a statewide office in the past generation.

It may become bluer at some point in the far distant future, but not in the next decade, at least.
The key is trying to get Hispanics in the state to register and vote. The Republicans don't do themselves any favors with how they often times treat Hispanics in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 07:57 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
No Texas voters giving those electoral votes to the Democratic presidential nominee.

Your questions show why that is increasingly likely.

I'll say it again for those of you on the outside trying to predict the future of Texas politics.
¾ of Republicans that hold political office in Texas, are from Hispanic heritage.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:59 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,717,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Nope...

I've been hearing this for years, and with each election, Texas gets darker red. No democrat has won a statewide office in the past generation.

It may become bluer at some point in the far distant future, but not in the next decade, at least.
Texas and Arizona Republicans are the beneficiaries of a large number of people born between 1928-1947. When the Greatest Generation died out the Silents took their place. The Greatest Generation voted 60% Dem and the Silents vote 60% Republican. Guess whose turn it is to die now? Arizona will probably flip before Texas. We can already see it in Arizona with a bunch of Tea Party geezers are elected to office during elections in the middle of the summer with heavy turnouts from seniors and low turnouts from young voters. Tea Party types Joe Arpaio arent popular at all except for the voters over 65...soon to die.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:03 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,717,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I'll say it again for those of you on the outside trying to predict the future of Texas politics.
¾ of Republicans that hold political office in Texas, are from Hispanic heritage.
What you mean to say is 3/4 of Hispanics elected to state offices are Republicans and 1/4 are Democrat. There aren't that many Hispanics holding state offices in Texas.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:19 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Are you forgetting Ann Richards? I'm trying to....

That was 1990.

Like I said, a generation ago.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
What you mean to say is 3/4 of Hispanics elected to state offices are Republicans and 1/4 are Democrat. There aren't that many Hispanics holding state offices in Texas.

No, that is what you meant to say.

I said, "¾ of Republicans that hold political office in Texas, are from Hispanic heritage."

Old 04-05-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
No, that is what you meant to say.

I said, "¾ of Republicans that hold political office in Texas, are from Hispanic heritage."
I am curious if you can back that statement up with a link. I don't pay attention to Texas politics, but I somehow doubt 3/4 of all their politicians holding office in Texas are Hispanic.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am curious if you can back that statement up with a link. I don't pay attention to Texas politics, but I somehow doubt 3/4 of all their politicians holding office in Texas are Hispanic.
Are you dwelling on state wide office?

There are many small municipalities all over this great state of Texas, that have elected officials with Hispanic heritage, that happen to be Constitutional Republicans.

I bet you didn't know, even GW Bush has some Hispanic in his heritage.

http://hispanicrepublicansoftx.org/

Old 04-05-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Are you dwelling on state wide office?

There are many small municipalities all over this great state of Texas, that have elected officials with Hispanic heritage, that happen to be Constitutional Republicans.

I bet you didn't know, even GW Bush has some Hispanic in his heritage.

Hispanic Republicans of Texas
I didn't see where that link stated 3/4 of the elected officials in Texas are Hispanic. Granted you keep saying "Hispanic heritage" which considering Texas use to be a part of Mexico, all of Texas has some sort of Hispanic heritage.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:18 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,458,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Texas is officially a minority-majority state, and minorities tend to vote overwhelmingly Democratic. Heck even in 2012, Romney only won about 57% of the vote. Even Rand Paul said the state could turn blue in the near future. Texas is worth like 34 electoral votes, right? If Texas turns blue (which I hope it does), it will be virtually impossible for a Republican to win a general election ever again, unless they change their positions on the issues.

Rand Paul warns his former home state, Texas, could turn blue – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs
ughhhh i want to say so many things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies