Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 11:21 PM

29,467 posts, read 16,461,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
One thing for sure, you aren't a libertarian. Honestly, you sound like a moderate Democrat, the exception being your prolife stance.
Thats not an exception. Pro life is a very general term, but i have only met 2 or 3 people who described it as all abortion should be illegal. THe rest who call themselves pro life but believe that you should be able to have one if your life is threatened or if you were raped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 11:43 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,779,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Hi all, just another rant about feeling no representation for my political beliefs. I'm an independent, pro gay marriage, atheist, for high quality schools, pro environment but at the other end of the spectrum, I'm pro life, pro business, and low tax to a certain extent. Against a police state, for moderate gun control, I own guns, pro US intervention overseas. I would say my favorite presidents are Theodore Roosevelt and Eisenhower, both Republicans. I favor amnesty and the ACA. Any modern day politicians that are close to that? For a long time I considered myself a libertarian, and still feel influenced by that, but now consider myself a moderate and that government has a correct role and a moderate sized government is fine. I feel that a lot of the right wing is terrible for America, such as Brownback, Rick Perry, Huckebee (sp?), Jindal, etc. I have respect for Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, Chris Christie, even if they have some different beliefs then myself. I also hold some respect for the Clinton's, but not many other democrats, maybe Brown in California is okay.
Perhaps you are a pragmatic libertarian?

Old 04-04-2014, 11:46 PM

510 posts, read 430,060 times
Quote:
Hi all, just another rant about feeling no representation for my political beliefs. I'm an independent, pro gay marriage, atheist, for high quality schools, pro environment but at the other end of the spectrum, I'm pro life, pro business, and low tax to a certain extent. Against a police state, for moderate gun control, I own guns, pro US intervention overseas. I would say my favorite presidents are Theodore Roosevelt and Eisenhower, both Republicans. I favor amnesty and the ACA. Any modern day politicians that are close to that? For a long time I considered myself a libertarian, and still feel influenced by that, but now consider myself a moderate and that government has a correct role and a moderate sized government is fine. I feel that a lot of the right wing is terrible for America, such as Brownback, Rick Perry, Huckebee (sp?), Jindal, etc. I have respect for Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, Chris Christie, even if they have some different beliefs then myself. I also hold some respect for the Clinton's, but not many other democrats, maybe Brown in California is okay.
You need to think through your beliefs instead of just feeling them ie; what effect will amnesty and the ACA really have on 'business' and on 'low taxes'?

Figure out your priorities.

What looks good as an isolated issue can actually make things worse when you examine it's larger effect. Politics isn't a buffet of separate issues that you pick and choose from.

It's funny that you consider fiscal moderates like Huckabee and Brownback "right-wing" but not Ted Cruz, who all liberals consider the most terrifying right-winger in the universe. There are more factors in the giant American political spectrum than one's acceptance/non-acceptance of a miniscule gay minority...

Roosevelt and Eisenhower(and JFK) are politicians from an era when America was a much smaller, younger and more politically homogenous and confident country. Roosevelt was a flaming imperialist and Eisenhower rounded up and deported 1.5 million Mexicans in "Operation Wetb@ck". Someone like that would be flayed alive by the MSM/Liberals today.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:50 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,873,276 times
Quote:
Why would you want to put a label on yourself??? Things like labels and partisan politics are why this country is so polarised. Just vote for the guy or girl that represents your views the best, regardless of whether or not they have a {D} or an {R} in front of their name.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 04-05-2014 at 12:13 AM..

Old 04-05-2014, 12:11 AM

37,937 posts, read 17,815,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You sir are a Liberal.

However it seems you have fallen for the BS. I say that because you use terms like "Pro Business", I have yet to meet anyone who described themselves as anti business as well as the people you admire.

Ted Cruz being on your list of People you respect is a little surprising considering he disagrees with alot of what you said, And Perry actually agrees with alot of what you said any didnt include him on your list and specifically called him terrible.
I believe it has to do with small business owners. Pro business equates to getting rid of costly regulations. Small businesses can't compete. Level the playing field against corporations.

George McGovern -
“I’m for protecting the health and well-being of both workers and consumers. I’m for a clean environment and economic justice. But I’m convinced we can pursue those worthy goals and still cut down vastly on the incredible paperwork, the complicated tax forms, the number of minute regulations, and the seemingly endless reporting requirements that afflict American business. Many businesses, especially small independents such as the Stratford Inn, simply can’t pass such costs on to their customers and remain competitive or profitable.”

Jim McGovern is similar.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:11 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,627,502 times
I think you're like most people. Liberal on some issues, and conservative on others. There are very few people who are totally conservative or totally liberal. The ones that are just yell the loudest so it seems that way.

I agree with most of your viewpoints, BTW.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:57 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,172,600 times
How does this sound?

centrist
  1. 1.
    having moderate political views or policies.

noun

Old 04-05-2014, 06:10 AM

5,580 posts, read 7,982,796 times
Meh. There are a variety of political doctrines and inclinations that varying people believe in. In the OP's case if I were him I'd call myself a centrist, in the "mixed-and-matched doctrine" sense of the word.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:24 AM

12,930 posts, read 13,619,565 times
You can be nothing. When it comes time to vote you make a list and who ever fulfills the most things on your list you vote for that person. The person you vote for has to buy into the non-sense of their party, but you don’t have to. Once you are something, by default you have to sign off the things that are not on your list. So be nothing and vote for people, not a party. You can be in the party of “the mean.”

Old 04-05-2014, 07:06 AM

288 posts, read 349,216 times
Someone here once made an observation ( I wish I could credit the poster ) that the states really aren't red or blue, but that they are actually a shade of purple, determined by the leanings of the majority. I think most individuals fit that description as well. I really try to apply these thoughts about people when a few posters here start raising my blood pressure, it helps me remember that we each want whats best for this country and our families, but we don't all agree on what it takes.

Tb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies