Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 02:34 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I certainly would NOT want to commute from Chantilly to D.C every day.
It was the first on the list. There were quite a few at the same price. I believe it said it was 23 miles. I travel 25 miles to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 04:05 PM

994 posts, read 1,591,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Brave? Politically tone deaf? You pick: Democrat James Moran of Virginia says he and his fellow representatives in Congress are in dire need of a raise. “I think the American people should know that the members of Congress are underpaid,” Moran tells Roll Call.

Congressman: We Can't Live 'Decently' on $174K - Lawmakers in pricey DC need a raise, says James Moran
Well, I guess they want more $$$$ for those $2,000 dinners they go to, of course.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:19 PM

878 posts, read 737,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Brave? Politically tone deaf? You pick: Democrat James Moran of Virginia says he and his fellow representatives in Congress are in dire need of a raise. “I think the American people should know that the members of Congress are underpaid,” Moran tells Roll Call.

Congressman: We Can't Live 'Decently' on $174K - Lawmakers in pricey DC need a raise, says James Moran
I have a solution. All these democrat congressmen have to do is move to black neighborhoods in DC where the rent is cheap. They would be saving money and practicing diversity at the same time.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:57 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
Between their salaries and their benefits, nobody in Congress should be whining about their standard of living; DC is a very expensive place to live, but $175K is nowhere near a poverty-level wage anywhere in the USA including here in LA, NYC or Honolulu.

These bleeding-heart Democrats are idiots, and are just as crooked as their equally reprehensible GOP counterparts, but at least the GOP is much friendlier to the needs of middle class Americans than the Democrats are, thanks to their subservience to teachers unions, civil service unions and environmentalists, not to mention their trial lawyer buddies and lots of other job-killing entities they worship.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:09 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Another liberal looking for a hand out, what else is new.
Ugh please. This liberal wants to tell that whining sack of dog crap to pound sand.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:09 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,011,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Where do you get this ridiculous information?

The pay their OWN way commuting back and forth to their home. They do NOT get free cars.

They Pay into their 401ks just like anyone else. They pay into their retirement plan just like most everyone else and they pay for their health insurance just like most people.

Supporting 2 residences is NOT cheap.

Having been born in D.C and living in the area most of my life I am VERY familular with what they get in benefits.Most Senators are millionaires and have no problem "making ends meet".

The House is a different story. MANY of the wives swap dresses to attend the many formal events they are required to attend.

Having said that, I believe in term limits and they chose the job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What Would You Drive, if the Taxpayers Paid?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/01/ny...cars.html?_r=0
Evidently not.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:51 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Just curious. How many times more do they make over the average American?

Cant say it enough. We need term limits. Or at the very least, none of these people should be allowed to profit other than salary while in office. I believe many of them have become more wealthy while in office, and quite frankly, it shouldn't happen. These offices should be held to such a higher standard and scrutiny than they currently are. Instead, like fools, we complain and just laugh at how corrupt and such these people are. Instead of laughing it off because we're use to it, we need to do something about it. Demand accountability and demand term limits.
I'll repeat my previous numbers because it tells the story of how out of touch politicians are with average Americans. These people are not working for "The People," they are working for corporations and billionaires, and believe they deserve to be paid as such.

They earn many times what most Americans earn, 7 times what 48% of Americans earn (and that's only if you divide by the top earners that category, most probably make less).

75% of Americans earn less than 50K, 48% earn less that 25K. Less than 6% earn 100K, or more.

174K puts them in the top 4% (could be 3%, I can't find exact numbers for salaries that high) of American earners, and they have great benefits. They also get pensions, and are paid every year of their retirement more than what 75% of Americans ever earn during their working lives. How many other Americans still get pensions?

This whiny, do nothing loser can go f' himself! He'll be retiring with a nice fat pension, despite that fact that and he is clearly a moron, only a moron would actually say this in public

Last edited by detshen; 04-06-2014 at 07:10 PM..

Old 04-06-2014, 08:07 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
What Would You Drive, if the Taxpayers Paid?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/01/ny...cars.html?_r=0
Your article is from 2008. can you find anything newer? Hey, it's Charlie Rangel. What do you expect from the race hustler?

From the House Government Handbook. The Senate does NOT have a car lease program.

Members' Handbook | Committee on House Administration

"Officially Leased Vehicles Ordinary and necessary expenses related to the lease of a vehicle in support of the conduct of official and representational duties are reimbursable.
Non-governmental use of such a vehicle may be made only when such use is:
  1. During the course of and generally along the route of a day's official itinerary.
  2. Incidental to the day's official and representational business.
  3. De minimis in nature, frequency, and time consumed.
  4. Does not otherwise constitute a significant activity or event.
  5. Not for any campaign/campaign-related political party purpose."
Which reads to me the car is NOT to be used to commute to and from work.

Going to a town hall meeting is OK.

The Senate does NOT have car lease program.

Do you drive your own car for the company you work for for free?

Old 04-06-2014, 08:09 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
It was the first on the list. There were quite a few at the same price. I believe it said it was 23 miles. I travel 25 miles to work.
Where do you live and where do you work?

Old 04-06-2014, 09:41 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Reid View Post
I have a solution. All these democrat congressmen have to do is move to black neighborhoods in DC where the rent is cheap. They would be saving money and practicing diversity at the same time.
lol, practicing what they preach. You would think they would love to mingle with their base. Good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies