Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 07:24 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,717,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Where have I indicated one should go withotu car insurance or catastrphic insurance?

You do understand the deductibles in ACA are non affordable for most, right? People live pay check to paycheck, but you stand here and defend $10K+ deductibles like thats acceptable.
Your out of touch with the real world and the ACA. About 80% of the plans on the healthcare.gov exchange or more are subsidized with lower deductibles than that. More like $3,000. You probably havent bought insurance for years or have no clue about deductibles. Too many Tea Party types are on government programs with low deductibles...they have no skin in the game and are trying to preach to people that are buying insurance that they dont know what they are doing. Why dont you go out and buy a policy and tell us if its affordable before preaching to people who know more than you do. Get a clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 07:29 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Your out of touch with the real world and the ACA. About 80% of the plans on the healthcare.gov exchange or more are subsidized with lower deductibles than that. More like $3,000. You probably havent bought insurance for years or have no clue about deductibles. Too many Tea Party types are on government programs with low deductibles...they have no skin in the game and are trying to preach to people that are buying insurance that they dont know what they are doing. Why dont you go out and buy a policy and tell us if its affordable before preaching to people who know more than you do. Get a clue.
I stopped reading your postings because its a non stop babble of hate for old people and its always wrong

Old 04-06-2014, 07:39 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,212,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I stopped reading your postings because its a non stop babble of hate for old people and its always wrong
Love the chart, as with most there are lower costs and even family deductions as long as you take the time to shop the market. The chart is like many things that get spread around to justify being against something different.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:48 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,717,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Love the chart, as with most there are lower costs and even family deductions as long as you take the time to shop the market. The chart is like many things that get spread around to justify being against something different.
I like the chart also. There are way too many Tea Party types that have no concept of deductibles and what insurance costs. Too bad more of them didnt have chronic illnesses and diseases and have to figure out whether to pay for medicine or buy clothes for their kids.

High deductibles and Obamacare derangement syndrome - latimes.com

Old 04-06-2014, 07:52 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
But they cant get the subsidies unless they go through healthcare.gov

Old 04-06-2014, 07:58 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,560 times
Quote:
I like the chart also. There are way too many Tea Party types that have no concept of deductibles and what insurance costs. Too bad more of them didnt have chronic illnesses and diseases and have to figure out whether to pay for medicine or buy clothes for their kids.

High deductibles and Obamacare derangement syndrome - latimes.com
Actually, I'd hazard a guess that most people who are against the ACA do know what a deductible is, and further I'd also hazard a guess that explaining what a deductible is to those who don't will not change their opinion.

If you have data that shows otherwise go ahead and demonstrate otherwise.

Liberals often have this idea that conservatives are ignorant and that if they could only "educate" us otherwise or frame data in a certain way people would come to see their point of view as correct, but that's really not so -- conservatives aren't dramatically more ignorant than liberals are and most political viewpoint disagreements aren't driven by differences in factual knowledge.

To circle back more narrowly to the topic at hand, understanding or not understanding what a deductible is and what the average one is set at will have absolutely zip impact on whether or not someone supports the ACA.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:24 PM

59,037 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I would rather have my tax dollars subsidize the poor so that they can get medical care than to subsidize the Koch brothers.

Middle Class Political Economist: "Libertarian" Koch Brothers Have Taken Tens of Millions in Subsidies UPDATED
You are free to write a check to the IRS ANYTIME you want.

I don't mind helping the poor but, the government has NEVER proven they are wise with money they get.

The waste, fraud and abuse is rampant in the fed gov.

Ah, those evil Koch Bros.

I suggest you look up George Soros AND California billionaire Tom Steyer AND HIS BROTHER.

Or do you think only the rich give to repubs? I wouldn't be surprised.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:30 PM

59,037 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Some of you on the left are NEVER satisfied. The poster I responded to claimed, more then once, that the repubs had NEVER submitted a plan.

Now you aren't happy with ANY of the plans submitted.

We ALL know anything the repubs put forth is a joke to you yet ANYTHING the dems put forth is the best thing since sliced bread.

EVERYBODY knows you are nothing but a pure partisan.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:26 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
If their is a sharp rise in premiums there will be a demand for an enormous change or repeal by the voters. Of course the repeal cannot take effect without Republicans controlling the two houses of Congress and the Presidency.

I suspect that some relief for those with pre-existing conditions will remain.
Quote:
Ryan predicted a death spiral for the ACA. He still thinks it might collapse ...
Of course any legislation can be amended, altered, or repealed outright. As whogo noted this can happen if the Republicans control both the House and Senate and the White House. On top of that I think they would need filibuster-proof supermajorities. How likely is that?

I'm not sure what Ryan means by the ACA collapsing under it's own weight. I wish he would elaborate on that hypothesis.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:57 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
At any time in the past two decades, Rs could have chosen to get out in front of this. They could have decided on a plan and done the heavy lifting in order to get it passed. But - they didn't.

Edited to add: So now their responses just look lame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies