Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 03:12 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,780,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I guess the Hollywood shill are starting to wake up on their messiah Obama.

Captain America vs. Obama

'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Review: Pro Edward Snowden, Pro Freedom
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linked article
This time, however, instead of joining forces with the Nazis, Hydra is working insidiously through the U.S. government to corrupt and control what’s supposed to be a surveillance and targeting program that gives the nation’s defense forces the capability to track and take out potential terrorists before they carry out their plans. The program is initially pitched as a protective deterrent system that assesses a limited, narrowly defined number of potential foreign threats and allows the government to stop them before they happen.

But as is so often the case with government programs, it turns out to be hard to maintain an initial narrow scope. Fittingly, Hydra’s grand plan isn’t to subvert the program so much as to expand it by increasing the number of targets and using the system domestically. The plan’s masterminds insist that they’re not even after typical villainous world domination; they just want to remove dangerous people who might disrupt a peaceful and orderly society.
And this is different from what the Obama administration is actually doing with the NSA phone-data-collecting program, how....??

Sounds like a few Hollywood elitists, between cocktail parties, finally noticed that the government is collecting data on THEIR phone calls too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 03:32 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
The movie apparently was a bit of a critique on the NSA and droning but as I mentioned earlier, SHIELD is the CIA and NSA all in one but on steroids and FICTIONAL. Like I said, Marvel has used allegory for real life events for years. However I would say most movie presidents in a way are a critique of presidents and BOTH liberals or conservatives are free range.

Glenn Beck even talked about the issue. Captain America directors admit the film is a critique of Obama

Old 04-23-2014, 08:04 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,739,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
The message of the movie being anti President Obama notwithstanding, it continues to amaze me the level of collective amnesia conservatives have developed surrounding these issues.

It's not in the distant past, when GWBush was president conservatives were collectively demanding and cheering on the surveillance state.

Even now the bulk of elected officials who oppose and question these tactics are Democrats.

The vast vast majority of elected conservatives love the surveillance state and pushed to get it implemented when GWBush declared a war on terror.

conservatives openly cheered for our country to torture people.
conservatives openly cheered for the GWBush declared war on terror which is really a call for an unending war. Since terrorism is a tactic not an enemy

conservatives cheered on the GWBush idea of pre-emptive war with the war in Iraq.

conservatives cheered on giving the executive branch expanded war powers to spy and track people to fight this war on terror.

conservatives cheered on the indefinite detention of people in Gitmo.

I could go on but the idea that conservatives are against an enemies list or killing people. Please they love that stuff. It's what they loved most about GWBush
GWBush and other "conservaties" who cheer and voted in favor of such things are Neo Cons...in short Statist.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:14 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
What is right and wrong and what is legal and illegal are not the same.

just because some of us believe NSA spying is legal doesnt mean we think it is right.

Its not a change in stances, its arguing 2 different perspectives. So no, its not a small percentage that have remained principled, its a very large majority.
Nothing you said really addressed my points. Liberals once understood that the government spying on it's citizens without a warrant was unconstitutional and will again when the party in office changes.

I say that while once again noting there is a percentage that have not changed their positions on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies