Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should all Americans have healthcare?
Yes 104 80.00%
No 26 20.00%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 07:50 PM

241 posts, read 172,356 times

Advertisements

I believe in everyone getting an equal leg to stand on. Including education and healthcare not just because you have more money than me you get better services. Its for the better good of the collective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 07:54 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Of Four View Post
I believe in everyone getting an equal leg to stand on. Including education and healthcare not just because you have more money than me you get better services. Its for the better good of the collective.
The question is who should see to it that happens.

The individual or, the government.

For example.....IMO....parents should see their children get quality.....and healthcare.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:59 PM

The government has to since the individual has had his legs taken out from under him by big business and the 1 percent. The government should insure every citizen has the same access to the same healthcare and education.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:00 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
I'm a conservative who would be in favor of a single payer system if EVERYONE was required to pay into it.

But the leeches won't want that.
Therein lies the problem.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:03 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,717,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Everyone needs insurance. The cost of prescriptions alone can bankrupt you. People have to do without the medication they need because they can't afford it. Many years ago we were not insured for a small period of time. My son took on going medication which cost over $300 for a 30 day supply. Who can afford that. And that's cheap compared to the cost of other drugs.
You wont find much sympathy around here from the Tea Party types. Never mind that they are having hip, knee replacements triple by-passes, and cancer treatments on a regular basis. The Tea Party types have a deaf ear when it comes to the needs of the average American struggling with putting food on the table, buying clothes, etc or buy medicine for their children. For the Tea Party its all about me,me, me...

Old 04-06-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I think that question hides another important sticking point: how much healthcare should everyone have access to?

We can technically deliver a lot more healthcare than what we can afford to pay for. That's why insurance companies used to have yearly and lifetime limits. That's why there is rationing in socialized systems. We could easily spend every dollar we make extending lives, even in cases where we would only be extending lives a few extra months.

We can not afford to give every person in this country unlimited access to healthcare, nor can any other modern country. We have to have rationing of some sort.

But toward the question, I think every American should have access to healthcare if they need it, but I am in favor of each person paying for their own. If someone chooses to use their money to buy things other than healthcare, then that's on them. So I would only have government purchased healthcare for the indigent and children.

That's in a perfect world.

In the world as it is, I think we ultimately have to go to a single-payer system, because the American people want socialized medicine whether they admit it or not. But I wouldn't be against surveying the other nations that have socialized medicine and modeling our system after the one found to be most effective.
This is the elephant in the room. How do you dole out health care when there is a limited amount available? We certainly cannot pay for everything for everyone as we'd run out of money to pay for anything.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
You wont find much sympathy around here from the Tea Party types. Never mind that they are having hip, knee replacements triple by-passes, and cancer treatments on a regular basis. The Tea Party types have a deaf ear when it comes to the needs of the average American struggling with putting food on the table, buying clothes, etc or buy medicine for their children. For the Tea Party its all about me,me, me...
Wow. My MIL is a liberal and she's had two hips replaced. I didn't know that these procedures are only for tea party types. I"ll have to let her know. I had no idea whether you need a hip or knee replaced had anything to do with your political affiliation. Who knew?

Old 04-06-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Therein lies the problem.
There are only "leeches" for the most part and I am assuming he is talking about ANYONE collecting welfare of any kind because big business refuses to pay a livable wage so they don't need welfare and after a while they figure why even work anymore while my back breaking labor goes into the pockets of some 1%ers and not my own!? Government needs to completely separate its self from big business and put them back in place. I just don't think we will ever get that with the kind of corrupt government/big business partnership we have now. A complete destruction of the current system is needed to get rid of the corruption and corrupted.IMO

Old 04-06-2014, 08:12 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,530,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
I also support a single-payer system. I'm one of those people who dislike Obamacare because it's not single-payer. I believe that giving life or death powers to for-profit companies is one of the most insane things this country has ever done.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:28 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Of Four View Post
There are only "leeches" for the most part and I am assuming he is talking about ANYONE collecting welfare of any kind because big business refuses to pay a livable wage so they don't need welfare and after a while they figure why even work anymore while my back breaking labor goes into the pockets of some 1%ers and not my own!? Government needs to completely separate its self from big business and put them back in place. I just don't think we will ever get that with the kind of corrupt government/big business partnership we have now. A complete destruction of the current system is needed to get rid of the corruption and corrupted.IMO
So from that rant and the hatred of big business (which generally provides better wages than small business and government if you're adding value) can we all confirm then that when you are advocating to raise taxes to pay for socialized healthcare you expect your family to take much more out of the system than to pay in?

You're not entitled to the fruits of other people's labor, unless they give them of their own free will, not government coercion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies