Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 10:06 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
As a traditional conservative but not necessarily a Republicrat what I am about to suggest is pie-in-the sky, it will never happen, but I wish it would. Each candidate receives X amount of tax money for campaigning (all the same) that they can spend however they want. But that is it. There is a ceiling and it is all the same. And the "attack ads have to be at a minimum if even allowed. Instead they have to explain/outline/frame THEY'RE OWN policies and what they will do if elected. And they can't changed their views on existing at election topics once elected or they face impeachment. In todays Washington this would be considered incredibly naive' and would not stand a chance of going over.
I have no desire to give them a penny nor should I be forced to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 10:10 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I was just reading about the Supreme Court removing the limits to political donations
I've heard some Republican politicians say that "It's freedom of speech" to be able to donate money to politicians.
A comedian put it very well by saying "Money talks"

Simple question...
Do Republicans (people) support this?
Can they not see that it opens the door to corruption?

In the late 1970s a Congressman from Philadelphia was sent to jail for saying this simple truth. " Money Talks, Bull**** Walks. " Does anyone remember the ABSCAM sting operation ?

Old 04-07-2014, 10:13 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
I guess you didn't read it properly or have a bad interpretation. Please work on that. It does not allow for unlimited political donations.
But it's justification for removing the limit on the number of candidates an individual can contribute to lays the groundwork for unlimited political donations. If you support this SCOTUS decision, then you have to support a future SCOTUS decision removing any limits on political donations.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:16 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Generally, right-wingers see such SCOTUS actions as part of the path toward application of financial power to further corrupt our economy in favor of the rich, who would thereby be less dependent on the sycophants they've duped into supporting their efforts to double economic inequality for the second time in as many generations.
No We Dont, period! I am a staunch conservative, but not registered as such, and I wont' any more, but I do not support donating to political elections and resent you saying that b/c it is not true....we don't all think alike, and it just goes to show how ridiculous some people think....

Old 04-07-2014, 10:17 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I have no desire to give them a penny nor should I be forced to.
There is a good chance you do.

If you belong to any trade unions, clubs, associations.....investments.

Do you have any type of insurance???

Do you take any medication??

Old 04-07-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
As a traditional conservative but not necessarily a Republicrat what I am about to suggest is pie-in-the sky, it will never happen, but I wish it would. Each candidate receives X amount of tax money for campaigning (all the same) that they can spend however they want. But that is it. There is a ceiling and it is all the same. And the "attack ads have to be at a minimum if even allowed. Instead they have to explain/outline/frame THEY'RE OWN policies and what they will do if elected. And they can't changed their views on existing at election topics once elected or they face impeachment. In todays Washington this would be considered incredibly naive' and would not stand a chance of going over.
wonderful Idea!

that is how it should be, instead of being able to buy your candidate....

Oprah funded Obama....

Old 04-07-2014, 10:26 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I was just reading about the Supreme Court removing the limits to political donations
I've heard some Republican politicians say that "It's freedom of speech" to be able to donate money to politicians.
A comedian put it very well by saying "Money talks"

Simple question...
Do Republicans (people) support this?
Can they not see that it opens the door to corruption?
Simple, don't vote for corrupt politicians!

Unfortunately, too many people are uninformed voters. That is the problem with wanting as many people voting as possible? The more ignorant, uninformed masses, who vote, the more their votes will swamp the informed voter and render the electorate into a group easily fooled, easily propagandized blob, and this breeds corruption.

Even if you take money out of politics, a corrupt, lying assed politician will still win, because of the ignorant, uniformed voters. BTW, take money out of politics, and then only the wealthy will be able to afford to run in a campaign.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post

Unfortunately, too many people are uninformed voters. That is the problem with wanting as many people voting as possible? The more ignorant, uninformed masses, who vote, the more their votes will swamp the informed voter and render the electorate into a group easily fooled, easily propagandized blob, and this breeds corruption.

Even if you take money out of politics, a corrupt, lying assed politician will still win, because of the ignorant, uniformed voters. BTW, take money out of politics, and then only the wealthy will be able to afford to run in a campaign.
no, it isn't that simple, period. They don't give us any one worth voting for...never have....

as soon as a decent man comes along and runs, they sabatoge him...you have to be corrupt any more to run.

and when you people get that both sides are corrupt, maybe this country will change.

I'm right in there with you, however, until people stop the corrupt crime, nothing will change....

Old 04-07-2014, 10:31 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post

Who do you think is running in campaigns now? The wealthy, or people who've already sold their souls to wealthy contributors, large corporations, and lobby groups. Take money out of politics. Or embrace strategies that take some of the leverage out of it. For instance Peter Schweizer has proposed laws that prevent politicians from accepting contributions while legislation is pending. It's been done on the state level in some states. It could be done on the federal level. While politicians might not want to do this, I do not see a down side to this measure. Do you?

Old 04-07-2014, 10:33 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
There is a good chance you do.

If you belong to any trade unions, clubs, associations.....investments.

Do you have any type of insurance???

Do you take any medication??
If you want to link people in this way if one tried hard enough you could probably be linked to pedophilia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies