Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2014, 06:43 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Why should the US care what they do? The US is suppose to be above them, not drop to their level. Just as in our so much touted legal system; we do not "eye for an eye" the system, we have a trial, a conviction, and jail. We did not torture Mr. Serial Killer because that was what he was doing, we do not beat Mr. Assaulter because that was what he was convicted of. Heck, we do not even kill everyone who killed another person, and when we do, it is a lot less violent way than what they did to their victim(s).
I was only asking you a question? Did these terrorists respect Geneva convention? The answer is a simple Yes Or no. I suppose your answer is NO, and that is good enough for me.

I agree we should give them a trial, like Nuremberg trials. And I don't support torture.

I don't support releasing this report either. I see no point of doing that. The world already knew what we have done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 06:45 PM

and for that question "Is waterboarding torture?" even those who climbed frog hill don't agree with each other.
So why bother arguing about that.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:49 PM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
I skimmed over some of the report and I am disappointed. What they did meets the definition of torture and I don't agree with torturing people for information. That being said, go big or go home! Face slaps? Pushing people into a wall? Is this high school? Yes some were a bit worse, but if you think information is so important that it justifies torture then torture the person already. I could think of much better ways to get people to talk.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:50 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
I also stated "Would we want Americans treated like this?" It came right after my troops comment.

Who said to release anyone? How about put them on trial? If there is enough evidence to hold these people for year after year, torturing them during this time, there should be easily enough evidence to put them on trial and convict them.

If there is not enough evidence; then what are they basing their accusations on?
I did not say release anyone...I said things...like all these documents...

Rules of war, are not the same rules we live by....is that so hard to understand?

Old 12-09-2014, 06:53 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I was only asking you a question? Did these terrorists respect Geneva convention? The answer is a simple Yes Or no. I suppose your answer is NO, and that is good enough for me.

I agree we should give them a trial, like Nuremberg trials. And I don't support torture.

I don't support releasing this report either. I see no point of doing that. The world already knew what we have done.
Do you know everything that was in the report, did you know we hired contractors to carry out the enhanced interrogations, did you know the CIA misled and outright lied to not only the senate intelligence committee but also the Bush administration.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:55 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I did not say release anyone...I said things...like all these documents...

Rules of war, are not the same rules we live by....is that so hard to understand?
My bad, I thought you were talking about releasing the prisoners. I am all for releasing the documents.

Of course the rules of war are not the same, however, that does not mean it gives a free run to do what the hell ever you want, even combat zones have rules, and troops can and have been prosecuted for violating these rules.

The CIA, operating with little to no oversight, decided upon themselves to do whatever they want, forgetting that they are merely an agency of the US, a society "by the people, for the people", not for the director and who ever else to have their own little fiefdom, nor a tool for the US gov to conduct itself without due regard to oversight and proper conduct.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:59 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

Understand, my bad; no, they do not observe the Convention.

I do support releasing the report. If the world already knew what we have done, then releasing the report should not matter then. But like many things, people like proof, not hearsay, even here on this forum; if I stated the US did these things, people would like hard proof, not some article somewhere or secondhand accounts.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Do you know everything that was in the report, did you know we hired contractors to carry out the enhanced interrogations, did you know the CIA misled and outright lied to not only the senate intelligence committee but also the Bush administration.
I still see no point of releasing this report to the public.

Soldiers are only subject to UCMJ, The CIA is not a policy-making organization; it advises the Director of National Intelligence on matters of foreign intelligence, and it conducts covert actions at the direction of the President.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Understand, my bad; no, they do not observe the Convention.

I do support releasing the report. If the world already knew what we have done, then releasing the report should not matter then. But like many things, people like proof, not hearsay, even here on this forum; if I stated the US did these things, people would like hard proof, not some article somewhere or secondhand accounts.
I have to think about the bolded. Let's hope this is true.

One thing I do know is this, my friend David's company was ambushed by 107mm Chinese Rockets THE day after pastor Terry Jones in Florida tried to burn The Holy Quran.

U.S. forces on ‘high alert’ after release CIA interrogation report

U.S. forces on

Old 12-09-2014, 07:08 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
My bad, I thought you were talking about releasing the prisoners. I am all for releasing the documents.

Of course the rules of war are not the same, however, that does not mean it gives a free run to do what the hell ever you want, even combat zones have rules, and troops can and have been prosecuted for violating these rules.

The CIA, operating with little to no oversight, decided upon themselves to do whatever they want, forgetting that they are merely an agency of the US, a society "by the people, for the people", not for the director and who ever else to have their own little fiefdom, nor a tool for the US gov to conduct itself without due regard to oversight and proper conduct.
In some cases it may....I don't know all the rules...

As for our troops being prosecuted...they have...

We'll just have to disagree....

However, if 1 person is killed because of these documents...and those documents are blamed for it...I hope you and everyone else can live with that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies