Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2014, 07:54 AM

129 posts, read 101,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Of Four View Post
Yep. Africans coming there for a better life.
If Africans keep moving to other countries for a better life, who's going to make their own country better? Same case with Mexico which is more relevant to the US in this regard.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:59 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
That's kind of ironic given how much foreign aid they get from the US.
You probably think it's all for Israel's protection and nothing to do with ours, now do you?

Old 04-06-2014, 08:06 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
You probably think it's all for Israel's protection and nothing to do with ours, now do you?
No, I don't think it has anything to do with protection and a lot to do with politics. It is because AIPAC is a very powerful lobby. To be honest we have lots of allies in the Middle East and Israel actually isn't a particularly important one by comparison to places like Turkey, Kuwait, Qatar and Bahrain.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:06 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Who is we?
I think the OP is against illegal immigration and was being sarcastic.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:35 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
It's not a surprise. Israel is as much of an apartheid state today as South Africa was years ago.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
It should be at least $12.00 an hour.
Maybe you need to talk to people who have just returned from visiting some to the countries with similar min wages. Ask them how much this or that costs? You might re-think $12.00 an hour. As has been explained or at least an attempt to explain; min wage jobs were never meant to be a living wage. They are for kids just entering the job market, people who want a second job or people who just want to go back to work a few hours a day for extra cash flow. In our daily newspaper there was a letter to the editor last week. A couple had just returned from Austraila and New Zealand. They were floored at the prices even at places like Micky Ds. We had a similar experience in Canada last fall. Higher min wages, drive up middle level salary as well, driving up prices and thus no one is really better off.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:22 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Maybe you need to talk to people who have just returned from visiting some to the countries with similar min wages. Ask them how much this or that costs? You might re-think $12.00 an hour. As has been explained or at least an attempt to explain; min wage jobs were never meant to be a living wage. They are for kids just entering the job market, people who want a second job or people who just want to go back to work a few hours a day for extra cash flow. In our daily newspaper there was a letter to the editor last week. A couple had just returned from Austraila and New Zealand. They were floored at the prices even at places like Micky Ds. We had a similar experience in Canada last fall. Higher min wages, drive up middle level salary as well, driving up prices and thus no one is really better off.
This is true... In fact at the end of the day, the poor are even poorer. Those in the middle get bigger increases than do the poor, as increases are generally paid as a percentage of ones current pay scale and thus the poor lose ground with each increase in the minimum wage. Initially they get a little increase but over the following months, the increased prices not only eat up that increase but actually cut their buying power.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:40 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
It's not a surprise. Israel is as much of an apartheid state today as South Africa was years ago.
Israel is not an apartheid state as all Israeli citizens have equal rights. These Africans are illegal immigrants that crossed the border into Israel illegally. The USA also doesn't take kindly to Mexicans and other illegally crossing the borders in the USA and this is a similar situation.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:55 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Mircea,

I liked all of your answers except for the one above. I think it deserves a serious response.
Okay.

Quote:
Because it's not just jealousy of the Waltons that's at issue.
It is the issue.

The world would be a better place if everyone adopted Conservative values and worried about their families, themselves and their communities ---in that order (note the absence of Government), instead of wasting valuable time and energy mussing and fussing over what everyone else has got and what everyone else is getting and what you ain't got and what you ain't getting.

Quote:
It's a sense of pity for the kids that grow up in the squalor of places like the ghetto's of Miami.
I did not create the ghettos.....government did.

Taking things from me to give to them does not solve the problem.

You think the problem is a lack of money....wrong answer....lack of money is the result of a problem, not the cause of the problem. You need to find the root cause, and in many instances, there are multiple causes.

You need to be prepared to accept the reality that there is Stupid®, and that there is no cure for Stupid®.

You also need to be prepared to accept the reality that people fail....it's what they do.

Everyone fails at something, and sometimes the failures are spectacular, other times not so much. Some of us never make the same mistake twice, others make the same mistake a few times or many, many times before figuring it out, but the point is that 90% of the people do figure it out.

The 10% who will never figure it out? You have to let them go.

Quote:
It's the shame of knowing that only parts of our country are in the first world, but there are large sections that are squarely in the 3rd world with all the grinding poverty and corruption that goes along with that term. It's looking at the future and getting the sinking feeling that we may end up like Calcutta, with a very few Waltons mixed in with plenty of people standing on the corner begging for a meal.
Ukraine, not Calcutta.

I've explained why in nauseating detail too many times.

Suffice to say that the American Life-Style and Standard of Living has nothing to do with "Exceptionalism" --- it was a fluke, a mistake, an aberration, a bizarre confluence of events politically and globally.

You know how the stock market makes corrections when stock prices are over-inflated or artificially inflated?

Well, it's like that.

The American Standard of Living and Life-Style is undergoing a very long and painful correction.

Quote:
For me personally, I am beginning to feel a dissonance between what I think is "fair" (minimal taxation, minimal redistribution of income, the complete hertiability of property, etc.) and what I think produces the best outcome for everyone involved. In the old economy I was largely against the redistribution of income, but as the value of labor is diminished by automation and foreign competition, I'm starting to think there has to be a better way.
Yes, there is a better way.....learn how to deal with it.

You cannot stop what is happening and it is a poor use of your time, energy and money to even try. All Americans need to accept the reality that their Standard of Living is going to decline; that they need to alter their Life-Styles to deal with it; that they need to adjust and adapt to a lesser Standard of Living; to change the way they think; change the way they do things; and to re-invent themselves.

That, is the real challenge.

Taking money from people and redistributing it to others? Where's the challenge in that?

That's no challenge at all.

Hell, I can train chimpanzees to take money from people and give it to others, and I don't even need government....all I need is a couple of big warehouses full of bananas and peanuts.

Government needs to enlist the aid of Hollywood.

You need sitcoms on television with multi-generational households where the parents, children and grandchildren all live together.

You need sitcoms on television with multi-family households where an older retired couple shares a 2-bedroom apartment in the big city with a family of three.

You need sitcoms on television with 2 single-mothers sharing living accommodations in HUD Section 8 housing.

You need sitcoms on television without any technology: none of the characters has or uses or even mentions things like iPhones, 'droids, cell-phones, computers, internet, DVD/Blu-Ray, cars or anything else that is technological.

If you want to claim that is Psy-Ops Warfare, I will not disagree; I will only say it works.

You need to accept one-wage earner households--- yeah, "house-husbands"; if there are two wage-earners, then either one or both will be part-time. You must learn how to live on reduced income, by adjusting your Life-Style.

You need to accept that your wages will stagnate or decline for many jobs.

You need to accept that nothing will change through the end of this Century.

You need to accept that development is now shifting to India; that Indians will replace Chinese for Hate-Week by the Haters; that about 20 years from now development will shift to Central Asia, and the Turks and Turco-Mongol people will replace the Hindus for Hate-Week by the Haters; and then about 20 years after that, development will be in full-swing in sub-Saharan Africa and they will become the object of the venomous hatred spewed by the Haters.

I pity the Chinese, the Indians, the Turks/Turco-Mongols and Africans who are and will be the object of so much hatred by Americans.....not the Stupid® in Miami ghettos.

If you want to pity anyone, you ought to pity the sub-Saharan Africans who will bear the brunt of US atrocities....even now Obama has US troops in Africa attempting to delay or halt development by Russia, China and India. The peoples of sub-Saharan Africa have suffered through decades of Colonialism and then Imperialism....it's time for them to start having a decent life. If that means you can only buy a new iPhone once every 5 years instead of every 6 months, then that's just too damn bad.

The Laws of Economics are amoral....they apply to everyone and everything equally, and the Laws are about achieving balance, harmony and equilibrium....which is not the same thing as being equal or fair.

Anyway, there are better ways and none of them involve redistribution of anything (except perhaps common sense).

Responding...

Mircea

Old 04-06-2014, 12:02 PM

579 posts, read 761,916 times
Awesome comments section on this article
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies