Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to donate some money to Shanesha Taylor?
No, and put her in jail 53 53.00%
No, but don't put her in jail 41 41.00%
Yes, she deserves a handout more than the millions of other jobless folks out there 5 5.00%
Yes I will, as soon as I get a job 1 1.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:30 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Here's more to the backstory:

The woman reportedly has a nine year old daughter in addition to the 6 and 24 month old boys.

CPS reportedly has an open case involving her youngest son who tested positive for illegal drugs when he was born.

Arizona state legislators cut child care subsidies for the working poor and have declined to restore them. The irony in this situation is that this woman's mother now has custody of the three children and receives foster care allowance from the state.

Shanesha Taylor's story touches everyone ... but the Arizona Legislature

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 04-15-2014 at 09:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 07:21 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

The woman reportedly has a nine year old daughter in addition to the 6 and 24 month old boys.

CPS reportedly has an open case involving her youngest son who tested positive for illegal drugs when he was born.

Arizona state legislators cut child care subsidies for the working poor and have declined to restore them. The irony in this situation is that this woman's mother now has custody of the three children and receives foster care allowance from the state.

This has all the makings of a true American success story. She can use the $100,000 to open a medical marajuana dispensary, and float away on clouds of happiness, and the best thing is, the taxpayers don't have to support her anymore!

Old 04-17-2014, 07:29 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Abuse your kids, and now get paid for it.. What a wonderful country we live in..
If you don't like it leave. Isn't that what you tell everyone else. Funny now all of a sudden kids on food stamps are "babies" when in all your other hateful posts, foodstamp recipients are "leeches" and "parasites" who "don't want to work", yet here she is getting job interviews. And no I'm no defending her decision to leave them in the car, so don;t go there

Old 04-17-2014, 07:53 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

She is such a tragic story IMO. I still feel for her though, I think because I have known so many people who have similar life circumstances. But as I stated before, I wouldn't have left my kids in the car. She could have asked someone to watch the children.

When I worked at the airport here in Atlanta years ago, I remember an Asian lady asking me if I would watch her babies for her while she went and did something I can't remember. I had on a uniform so I guess she felt I wouldn't do anything to the babies. She was lucky I wasn't a baby thief lol, she had a 3 year old girl and a 3 month old baby that I watched for her. But I would have done something like that instead of leaving children in the car.

But the link above is troubling IMO. I don't see why the state legislature would halt funding for daycare assistance for working mothers. Would they rather those mothers stay at home and collect welfare subsidies? Also, they will be spending more money on providing foster care services versus what would be spent on daycare. This story also reminds me of a lady who I worked with years ago. She had twins who were 10 months old. She was somewhat homeless and lived in an extended stay hotel. Her husband had died. She worked a partial 3rd shift job (from 10 pm through 3am) and when she went back to the hotel after her shift one day, one of the baby's had choked to death on a quarter that they'd found next to the crib. She could not afford childcare and didn't have family and would leave the babies in their crib overnight while she worked because she didn't know who to ask. We all wished she would have asked us as we all had relatives or friends who may have watched the babies for her. More stories like this occur when people are desperate for childcare.

That said, I feel this woman is troubled. I hope via the court system she can get help but I don't trust that that will occur.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:06 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Now someone has started an online fund raising initiative for the young woman in NJ who started the fund for the woman who left her babies in her car. Reportedly, the NJ woman is unemployed, has no car and is homeless too no mention of children. She wants to be a missionary.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:31 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
Why is it that punishment is the single solution to every problem for most people?

Old 04-17-2014, 08:41 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
40 minute interview, not a hot day, was 65 out with windows slightly down to allow air flow. i hope she hits 100k.
Bingo. Thank the nanny state for this BS.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:43 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post
Even if the airs outside is not hot, the air inside a car can reach over 100 degrees in a fairly short amount of time. (I tried to find a good link; this one shows that in an hour, a car that's in 80 degree temperatures will rise to a temperature of 123. In ten minutes, it rises to 99 degrees). Also, babies can't regulate their temperatures as much as adults can.

That said, I do feel sorry for this woman. It's a bit of a poverty trap that Harry Potter author JK Rowling has talked about as she experienced it for herself for several months - too poor to afford child care, and can't get a job without child care.
I live in Arizona, and I was out running errands on that particular day. I was in the mall for about an hour, and when I returned to my car, the steering wheel was too hot to touch. The Arizona sun is intense and, even at lower temps outside, the interior of a car can become extremely uncomfortable very quickly. It is not a safe place to leave children.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:57 AM

702 posts, read 726,810 times
If she receives tax money benefits from other people as assistance she is a leech and a moocher and a taker. If she gets a willing donation from strangers -- not compulsory from the government -- she is a deadbeat.

Welcome to conservative America.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:11 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,741,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

Well she was in a really tight spot regardless, but that doesnt justify leaving babies in a car unsupervised..
No it doesn't, she made a big mistake in desperation. I still don't think she belongs taking up space in jail that could be used for the many criminals that Phoenix has. I know if she has an ounce of intelligence,she won't make that mistake again. I wish her well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies