Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 06:37 PM

189 posts, read 262,386 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to understand why wearing a military dress shirt is considered a form of disrespect if your a civilian.

Quick synopsis of what happened; a few of my buddies and I set up a paint balling trip this weekend. We headed to thrift warehouse out in Hawthorne, NJ that has an entire section designated for military clothing. We got our camo pants, jackets and a few shirts for the event. One of my friends had a shirt with patches on the sleeves and was questioned by a former marine of where he got the shirt from. He expressed he got it at a thrift shop , after this the marine flipped out saying "if you don't rank it you don't wear it". My friend had no idea what the patches meant (a google search showed the patch reflected Gunnery Sergeant) heck none of us did. He told the marine and his friends that he didn't know it was disrespectful however things took a turn for the worst and started a shoving match.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:47 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Yep it's very disrespectful to wear something you didn't earn. That being said the patches should have been removed before it was donated. Then again the owner could have died and his family donated the uniform without removing the patches.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:54 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Yep it's very disrespectful to wear something you didn't earn. That being said the patches should have been removed before it was donated. Then again the owner could have died and his family donated the uniform without removing the patches.
It's disrespectful, but does a former marine have to be disrespectful in communicating that and start a shoving match?

Old 04-07-2014, 09:17 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Your friend should have told the Marine to go f&$k himself, seriously.

Though my opinion, it was not at all disrespectful, it was not like your friend was pretending to be a Marine or something, it was simply some outfit for paintball. If it was so disrespectful, perhaps the Marine should go find the person who gave it to the thrift shop with the patches on it.

I think some people need to get a grip around this military thing, there is a huge difference between getting a used, worn uniform item from a thrift shop on to go play paintball, and putting a uniform on going around to pretend to be in the military.

That Marine was the disrespectful one in this situation.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:39 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
What was disrespectful was the Marine who failed to manage his deportment and engage those who meant no harm by educating and explaining things rather than acting like a a-hole.

Disrespect require the knowledge to complete the thought that what one is doing is disrespectful. If your friend didn't know, the only idiot in the affair was the Marine. Instead to holding to the highest model of the professional he acted like a child who probably has anger management issues. His behavior should have been reported and then he could have explained why he acted like a child instead of a military professional.

Back to the wearing of a military uniform with rank and unit patch or insignia (include in this medals, ribbons and devices etc). Those in the military, present and past and in the future have, do and will sacrifice a great deal and in many cases, sacrifice the ultimate, their lives and for that earn the right to wear that which some only see as something "neat" or "cool". To honor them and show respect, refrain from wearing them. There is though, nothing wrong with wearing "cammies" and such sans identifying military insignia and so on.

What that Marine did was far more disrespectful to the Marines and our armed forced in general than anything your friend did. It is unfortunate that instead of encountering one of the "Proud" you encountered one the few non-thinkers.

If this situation happened recently and you know the identity of that fool, report his behavior, it was a crime if he put his hands on you, and far worse if he was in uniform as he did so representing his unit and the Corps. He needs to have a friendly chat with someone who can explain what professionalism means and what being a punk means.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:38 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,640 times
Many Marines take their Marine'ness way too far. As a Marine myself I'd never get after someone like that but then again I spent my 7 year career in the Corps making fun of all the motarded douche's that would do something like that.

Marine was out of line, no need to confront people like that. I can see get after someone if they are impersonating a Marine GySgt, but some dude playing paintball. Total douche move on the "Marine's" part.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:10 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Yes, I consider it disrespectful for you to wear the shirt, and the marine in turn did not act appropriately.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:39 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
I think the truth is that Marine Corps has very high Grooming Standards, and it is part of Marine Corps' culture. Marines put a lot of stock in bearing. After all, how many people get to be called "the few, the proud". They went through hell to earn that title United States Marine.

I once called my brother an "ex Marine". I have been scolded by a poster on another forum and he almost bite my head off. As a civilian, I just didn't know calling a Veteran Marine ex-Marine is so disrespectful. Honest truth is that my brother didn't care what I called him. But he is a very proud former Marine.

I don't believe any civilians should wear military medals like purple hearts. It is called stealing valor. Sadly, you can "buy" something as precious as purple heart medal on the internet.

Intention is everything. If a civilian has no intention of disrespect, he/she shouldn't be criticized so harshly just because he/she accidentally wears a USMC dress shirt. It is not that person's purpose to impersonate a real Marine.

But if you know certain things might upset a person, don't do it because kindness still matters.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:05 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
What was disrespectful was the Marine who failed to manage his deportment and engage those who meant no harm by educating and explaining things rather than acting like a a-hole.

Disrespect require the knowledge to complete the thought that what one is doing is disrespectful. If your friend didn't know, the only idiot in the affair was the Marine. Instead to holding to the highest model of the professional he acted like a child who probably has anger management issues. His behavior should have been reported and then he could have explained why he acted like a child instead of a military professional.

Back to the wearing of a military uniform with rank and unit patch or insignia (include in this medals, ribbons and devices etc). Those in the military, present and past and in the future have, do and will sacrifice a great deal and in many cases, sacrifice the ultimate, their lives and for that earn the right to wear that which some only see as something "neat" or "cool". To
honor them and show respect, refrain from wearing them. There is though, nothing wrong with wearing "cammies" and such sans identifying military insignia and so on.

What that Marine did was far more disrespectful to the Marines and our armed forced in general than anything your friend did. It is unfortunate that instead of encountering one of the "Proud" you encountered one the few
non-thinkers.

If this situation happened recently and you know the identity of that fool, report his behavior, it was a crime if he put his hands on you, and far worse if
he was in uniform as he did so representing his unit and the Corps. He needs to have a friendly chat with someone who can explain what
professionalism means and what being a punk means.
Good post. Very fair and rational. I agree that in order to be disrespectful,
one needs knowledge of the subject matter first. Furthermore I am not even certain I consider this disrespectful. I don't think OP and his buddies set out to make a political statement, they set out to go play paintball.

The Marine in question missed an opportunity to explain why some (not all) in the military are sensitive to these things. He should have explained he speaks for himself and not all of the DoD.

I do take exception to those who pose as military members and where
decorations they did not earn and in some cases use their charade to receive benefits, exploit others, etc. But idiots are out there, and we have to share space with them. How we respond to them can in turn go a long way toward determine if we ourselves are any better.

Rank insignia incidentally worn while playing a recreational game is not offensive to me. Had I seen this Marine spazzing out over this I would have pulled him aside and instructed him to offer an apology and then depart the premises. I am a captain in the Marine Corps.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:30 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
a little counterpoint though

if your friend was old enough to play paint ball and purchase said clothing, he was old enough to know better. We really should overall grow up sooner rather than later and reach an understanding of what we should do or not do in life.

That being said, it is considered disrespectful to wear something you didn't earn especially when many people die to earn those stripes. It is also considered inappropriate to leave rank on the shirt. But the friend and perhaps the grieving parents did not know and should not be blamed. But it shouldn't happen a second time.

The young marine over reacted and he/she should know better.

It was interesting that you cared enough to ask and to want to learn more. Good for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies