Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 12:16 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,500,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
I could not give a rats ass what color you are, if you are a liberal you enjoy the position of being subservient to government which offends the hell out of me.
How long have you suffered with these control issues? I mean, telling others what they enjoy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 12:16 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,377,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Payment to service the US debt is due "every month". What do you think we have a balloon payment some time in the future?

If that is what you think its a future balloon payment then you are supporting that the kids and grandkids to pay it. But the debt is so huge taxpayers are paying today and the kids and grandkids will pay tomorrow.

And you think big government is the answer? wow, they can't handle money.
Are you paying for your parents "portion" of the debt?

This is another faulty attempt at displaying your anti-government obsession.

You really have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to public sector finances.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:19 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,608,340 times
Government debt cost us money through my parents generation and they paid, now I am paying, my kids and future grandkids will pay. Like I asked you but you refuse to answer. Do you think the debt is due in one balloon payment? If that is what you believe then you support later generations paying the bill.

Keep government small.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Divert attention away and ASSume I think either party is the answer. Why do you think I am for small government? If we must have government keep it small so they do less damage and take less of our money.

No one said it wouldn't exist if a republican was president. Government should be kept small so they don't cost the American people so damn much and we could keep some of the money to spend. People would be much happier to spend the money they make instead of being forced to pay for big government.
I wasn't referring to you. The topic is trust, not fiscal policy.

I'm talking about attitudes of those on the right, in general. What I've seen is that conservatives, in general, trust the government just fine, as long as a Democrat isn't in the White House.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I wasn't referring to you. The topic is trust, not fiscal policy.

I'm talking about attitudes of those on the right, in general. What I've seen is that conservatives, in general, trust the government just fine, as long as a Democrat isn't in the White House.
Trust, fiscal policy. Any one person or group of people, D or R, given power will surely abuse it. I don't trust either. Keep government small.

The more poor the people are the more power government hold over us. Keep government small.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Government debt cost us money through my parents generation and they paid, now I am paying, my kids and future grandkids will pay. Like I asked you but you refuse to answer. Do you think the debt is due in one balloon payment? If that is what you believe then you support later generations paying the bill.

Keep government small.
Two pages later and you still haven't answered the question. You have simply deflected on to me.

Debt is rolled over indefinitely because the government doesn't stop operating. Government debt is not like credit card debt. There is no "balance due date."

"Keep government small" has nothing to do with the true mechanics of public sector finances. It is a way for the right-wing to widen the gap between the rich and the poor. The "unsustainability" and "small government" ideas are loud talking points from right-wing lobbyists to further enrich themselves by starving the most vulnerable in our country.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:27 PM

9,879 posts, read 7,990,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
This thread wouldn't exist if a Republican were president.

I remember (some) conservative's reactions to the patriot act when Bush was president, "If you're not doing anything wrong, what's the big deal?"
Dems have been not only as complicit as Republicans, they have been more hypocritical.
At least the die hard Repubs don't hide the fact they approved of torture, invasion and drone strikes to accomplish their goals.

And, there were a couple Republicans quite vocal against the Patriot Act - Paul(s)/Johnson to name a few.
Sure, the Dems had Kucinich, but he was not reelected.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Two pages later and you still haven't answered the question. You have simply deflected on to me.

Debt is rolled over indefinitely because the government doesn't stop operating. Government debt is not like credit card debt. There is no "balance due date."

"Keep government small" has nothing to do with the true mechanics of public sector finances. It is a way for the right-wing to widen the gap between the rich and the poor. The "unsustainability" and "small government" ideas are loud talking points from right-wing lobbyists to further enrich themselves by starving the most vulnerable in our country.
Payment to service government debt is due every month. If government has to borrow money to stay open then it is too big, living beyond it's means. The bigger government gets the more money it wants from the American people.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Dems have been not only as complicit as Republicans, they have been more hypocritical.
At least the die hard Repubs don't hide the fact they approved of torture, invasion and drone strikes to accomplish their goals.

And, there were a couple Republicans quite vocal against the Patriot Act - Paul/Johnson to name a few.
Sure, the Dems had Kucinich, but he was not reelected.
No, this is the problem with the right-wing.

Democrats are more likely to compromise. In many cases, they compromise thinking there will be concessions from the right. The current administration has met unprecedented obstruction.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Trust, fiscal policy. Any one person or group of people, D or R, given power will surely abuse it. Keep government small.
That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it, but this seems off-topic, petch.

I will note the inconsistency in your words, however. Stating abuse will definitely occur (...one person or group...D or R...), precludes small government from solving much, by way of abuse of power, anyway. "Small" is a subjective term, as well. Your idea of small may be another's idea of large, and vice-versa. "Keep government small" makes for good talking points, but is horribly vague.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies