Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 10:44 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The checkpoints are used to do drug searches under the guise of an immigration stop.
The Supreme Court ruled it was illegal to stop vehicles going down the road without probable cause to do drug searches, so the government uses the ruse of an immigration stop to justify the stops.

The traffic backs up for miles as the Border Patrol Agents act like Nazi storm troopers asking personal questions and interrogating Citizens.

If you dare to tell them you have no legal obligation to answer their questions, they surround your vehicle with several agents pointing guns and running drug dogs up and down the length of your vehicle or trying to intimidate you to going to secondary inspection.

The entire program is a joke. The immigration problem ended when the economy crashed in 2008, but the numbers of Border Patrol have increased exponentially. They literally have nothing else to do but to hassle Citizens.

It is just another example of the growing police state.
That's just not true in our area. I travel back and forth between Puerto Penasco and Sedona, Az. all the time. I enter and exit at the Lukeville crossing. It is nothing like you say.
Also, illegal crossings are down over 55% in Arizona over the last 4 years so these checkpoints are working and doing the job they are supposed to be doing.

If you go to the illegal immigration forum and read the posts, most right wingers want armed guards, the army, the national guard with shoot to kill authority and a 30 foot high fence around the whole southern border.
What I really think they want is if you're lily white, then you get a free pass and get waved through. If you're brown, then you get the third degree and the full colonoscope .

Old 04-10-2014, 11:31 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
The check points should be within a mile of the border, not the 100 mile constitution free zone they set up to stop whoever they want for whatever they want.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:36 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The check points should be within a mile of the border, not the 100 mile constitution free zone they set up to stop whoever they want for whatever they want.
that is part of why I want to end the war on drugs. Less of an excuse to get into everyone's business.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:42 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The checkpoints are further out so they are not within urban areas. My city is a lobster trap with checkpoints out in the desert around it. The checkpoints do catch many illegals, and drugs, and do force illegals to foot it through the desert instead of taking a comfy car ride.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:40 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The checkpoints are further out so they are not within urban areas. My city is a lobster trap with checkpoints out in the desert around it. The checkpoints do catch many illegals, and drugs, and do force illegals to foot it through the desert instead of taking a comfy car ride.
Comfy bus ride. There are Mexican bus lines that have been caught running illegals north and they are still in operation. Take a nus from the border to Denver. All they have to do is say yes when asked if they are a US citizen.

Also there are the back roads and the temporary check points that are often closed. Illegals aren't having much trouble at all getting to any place they please.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:48 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
There is a reason we don't tell you..
I know, I know, shortages of Jim Beam premium and long line-ups at Buffalo Wing joints require tolerance of the highest order but us Canaucks got get our fixes too, ya know.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:50 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
I don't know if closing the checkpoints is the answer, but it seems like they don't work anyway. How many people get into this country undetected anyway?

Old 04-10-2014, 01:11 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Comfy bus ride. There are Mexican bus lines that have been caught running illegals north and they are still in operation. Take a nus from the border to Denver. All they have to do is say yes when asked if they are a US citizen.

Also there are the back roads and the temporary check points that are often closed. Illegals aren't having much trouble at all getting to any place they please.
Please don't tell that to the Arabs.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:37 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
Please don't tell that to the Arabs.
Or Russians. The ease of getting over the border and past the checkpoints was discovered by many millions already.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:58 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
ok, we give you the close the check point , but lets also closed the border. 100%, happy now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies