Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 11:35 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
It requires a form of tracking, there is no way it can know who the owner is and where the proximity to the gun it's self is at. That kind of technology simply cannot exist without this data tracking. The main goal of this isn't safety, knowledge is safety, this goal is punish all law abiding gun owners and eventually turn them into criminals.

Eric Holder is a HUGE anti-gun freak. He disregards the Constitution and has been caught stating that his goal is to brainwash people against guns. He has been involved in countless illegal activities including trafficking guns to Drug Cartels in Mexico, but Obama has refused to order an investigation for some stupid reason. You cannot trust anything this man comes up with! There is always a hidden agenda with him.

IF Holder was really concerned about stopping gun violence then he would be proposing education courses about guns to be mandatory. Gun knowledge is what promotes safety.
Seems to me Mr. Holder is the one who should be wearing an electronic braclet. Know what I mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I'd actually be for putting tracking bracelets on all elected and appointed government officials. We need to keep tabs on their whereabouts and activities 24/7. Bug their phones and record their emails.
Hey, that's what they want to do to us.
Hey... what's good for the goose...

Quote:
This is not like a car key. Not even close to the same thing. A car is a luxury and driving is a privilege, gun ownership is a right. Futhermore, I fail to see the point in this, how will this reduce crime exactly? Someone could steal a bracelet, or cut off their hand and take it. Or hack or disable the device in the gun it's self, what if these devices fail? Someone is not able to defend themselves?

And yes it IS tracking tech-www.mrcolionnoir.com/.../eric-holder-wants-mandate-gun-owners-wear-...‎
this is not what he said specifically, but the kind of technology in the gun and bracelet retains similar technology. You are also ignoring the big elephant here, one that I addressed you on previously which is that Eric Holder has an agenda. Nothing this man comes up with is good for anybody.

There is nothing wrong with guns today. We have a culture problem, not a gun problem. Education is the key to gun safety.

Correct. There is nothing in the Constitution about rights for driving. There is however; something in that document in regards to the RIGHT to bear arms. As to your last statement... guns don't kill people... people kill people. Yes it is a culture issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 11:37 AM

679 posts, read 614,565 times
OK so lets go down the line with this one.

Quote:
This is not like a car key. Not even close to the same thing. A car is a luxury and driving is a privilege, gun ownership is a right.

When he said it was like a car key he meant the technology being used would be very similar to a the tech used in new model cars.

Futhermore, I fail to see the point in this, how will this reduce crime exactly? Someone could steal a bracelet, or cut off their hand and take it. Or hack or disable the device in the gun it's self, what if these devices fail? Someone is not able to defend themselves?

These problems are all simply personal responsibility problems. A crook can still steal your gun and use it. But, adding more security to a gun means that unless criminals take more steps than just stealing your gun, it is useless to them and therefore prevents any future crime they could have committed with it. It definitely isn't a perfect system, as you pointed out someone could steal BOTH the gun and bracelet, but nonetheless you are preventing some things.

Guns fail without having these devices already, so its just a problem that will still exist. Now if they show a study that shows that there is an increased failure rate then that would be something to take into account. Right now though its a moot point.

And yes it IS tracking tech-www.mrcolionnoir.com/.../eric-holder-wants-mandate-gun-owners-wear-...‎
this is not what he said specifically, but the kind of technology in the gun and bracelet retains similar technology.

The kind of technology used would be RFID, NFC or LE Bluetooth. None of which require tracking databases. You are absolutely false in this assumption.

You are also ignoring the big elephant here, one that I addressed you on previously which is that Eric Holder has an agenda. Nothing this man comes up with is good for anybody.

There is nothing wrong with guns today. We have a culture problem, not a gun problem. Education is the key to gun safety.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Correct. There is nothing in the Constitution about rights for driving. There is however; something in that document in regards to the RIGHT to bear arms. As to your last statement... guns don't kill people... people kill people. Yes it is a culture issue.
Adding an extra level of security to a gun may have several different problems involved with it but it in no way would impede a person's RIGHT to bear arms.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:40 AM

687 posts, read 1,376,670 times
This whole story is totally bogus. Holder was talking about the "smart" guns that you have to wear a ring or bracelet for them to work.
No, Eric Holder Doesn't Want To Make Gun Owners Wear 'Tracking Bracelets'

Old 04-09-2014, 11:44 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,027,839 times
Go ahead and send me a bracelet or two, I will give them to my cows to wear. Or even better, I will mount one on my friends septic pump truck.

If you can't see what they are trying to do you are an idiot. Unfortunately this country is full of idiots, just read some of the responses here.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:44 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
Adding an extra level of security to a gun may have several different problems involved with it but it in no way would impede a person's RIGHT to bear arms.
If using such a device were strictly OPTIONAL, exactly. I can see the benefits some would find in locking young children and thieves (stolen gun scenario, both civilians and cops) out of the ability to discharge a firearm. There is merit to such a proposal.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:45 AM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
They mentioned a finger print trigger lock system. If they got the technology right, that may work out well.
Sure, until that moment when the Bad Guys come through your door, and you go for your gun which has been in the closet for two years, only to find out that the battery has died on the fingerprint reader and you're completely DEAD.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:47 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,108,580 times
At some point, "dumb" firearms will be worth their weight in gold.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Sure, until that moment when the Bad Guys come through your door, and you go for your gun which has been in the closet for two years, only to find out that the battery has died on the fingerprint reader and you're completely DEAD.
Yeah, but that scenario is simply personal responsibility. If you're so irresponsible to allow your gun to fall into disuse then it may not work for you with or without this technology. What if you were forgetful about buying more ammo and now you reach over only to find out that your gun is now a fancy paperweight. There are issues with new technology, but this is strictly an issue of personal responsibility and is irrelevant.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:52 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
Yeah, but that scenario is simply personal responsibility. If you're so irresponsible to allow your gun to fall into disuse then it may not work for you with or without this technology.
I have to agree. Firearms require continuing care and maintenance. One's skill in using a firearm safely and effectively also requires regular practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies