Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 11:12 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times

Advertisements

A couple of male students could have tackled him or threw a chair at him. Maybe they didn't have the chance but we have become a culture of ever increasing apathetic gutless wimps who at the first sign of an incident, go for our cell phones to video it or encourage the participants while they hoot and holler.
Then again, had they tackled him or used a chair against him they'd have likely been looking at suspension or even expulsion.
Its just a sign of the collapse of society and cultural decay. Its not about guns or knives. "Why can't Johnny control his rage?"
Almost forgot, what mind altering meds were he on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 11:14 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I agree that parents need to be held accountable for their juvenile children. I agree that fines should be substantial. These two steps alone will lead to better discipline of our kids. As far as metal detectors, think about how you would have felt if you had to go through one every day? Do you have to go through one every day you go to work? School is their job. What kind of educators do we have that can't disarm a teenager with a knife? Mine would have kicked the crap out of me, and THEN it would have been my dads turn!!!!!

Mr. Miogi was your teacher?

Old 04-09-2014, 11:15 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I agree that parents need to be held accountable for their juvenile children. I agree that fines should be substantial. These two steps alone will lead to better discipline of our kids. As far as metal detectors, think about how you would have felt if you had to go through one every day? Do you have to go through one every day you go to work? School is their job. What kind of educators do we have that can't disarm a teenager with a knife? Mine would have kicked the crap out of me, and THEN it would have been my dads turn!!!!!
I don't care, if it kept me safe, I'd go thru them without a thought...geeze louise, a metal detector would solve the problem on all weapons...I go thru them at the airport and I don't care, rather safe then sorry....and if I were a parent today, I would back it.

and yes, we were not beaten as kids, but we were spanked, and I'm glad we were, I spanked my son 3 times in his 18 years with us and he said he is so glad we did....and I am so glad our parents were so much more military strict....being friends with a kid is ok, but you still have to be the alpha....and let them know, if they screw up there is a consequence. I had all boys hanging at the house....so I was definetly strict....

and the metal detecor would be the ticket to stop this in schools, as there are more and more gangs all over the states.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:16 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,523 times
oh america america america................

Old 04-09-2014, 11:17 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
20 injured and the first thing the OP thinks about is guns. smh

yes, I do, and this was an accident waiting to happen, everyone in this coutry is screaming gun control....instead of stopping this by placing metal detectors in schools, people cry and complain when this stuff happens....lets fix the problem right....

you put a metal detector in every school this would not happen. Period.

I am the OP, and the first thing I thought was ok, this wasn't done with a gun, how long before this happened....gangs roam alll over this country, and you don't know what kids are into today...especially with the parents of today, they are so unlike parents....so, you can say all you want, I've posted this for a discussion on how to deter this from happening....but no one seems to want to jump on board, all we want to do is complain, or say I'm using it against gun control, I am not....
we use them in airports, why can't we use them in schools....?

This is ridiculous, that we can't even problem solve, just wise remarks

Old 04-09-2014, 11:20 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
oh america america america................
This same thing happened in China just last month. Just when we think we are progressing in the right direction - someone reminds us that there are still enough mindless apes to keep the human race from advancing too far.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:21 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I don't care, if it kept me safe, I'd go thru them without a thought...geeze louise, a metal detector would solve the problem on all weapons...I go thru them at the airport and I don't care, rather safe then sorry....and if I were a parent today, I would back it.

and yes, we were not beaten as kids, but we were spanked, and I'm glad we were, I spanked my son 3 times in his 18 years with us and he said he is so glad we did....and I am so glad our parents were so much more military strict....being friends with a kid is ok, but you still have to be the alpha....and let them know, if they screw up there is a consequence. I had all boys hanging at the house....so I was definetly strict....

and the metal detecor would be the ticket to stop this in schools, as there are more and more gangs all over the states.
No, a metal detector puts a bandaid on something that needs a tourniquet. What happens when they walk out the doors? Are you going to put them in a plastic bubble for 18 years? Address the underlying cause of the problem. As an adult, stand up to kids starting trouble at the mall... Guarantee you they will back down. As a educator, control your environment. Don't allow yourself to be intimidated by children. As a parent. Know where your children are, what they are doing and with whom. They are not entitled to privacy until they are adults, just as we weren't. The only right they have is to remain silent and that is a right that they should well exercise or pay the consequences.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:21 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
Quote:
Once again

you want to do something to deter this, then start having all kids go thru metal detecors, like at the airports....that would be something productive....

everyone goes thru it, one way in.....take off your shoes, etc. They have teachers monitor buses, the same with the metal detecters. That would stop it right there, and let there be no other entry at the start of each day.

take all guns and knives. box cutter away from kids, expel the kids and fine the parents big time!!!!
Start holding parents accountable....ours were.

Easy solution!!!! And yet, to date, who does this? No one, why?

Discussion?????
>>>> We don't need or want the TSA in our schools. They'd come up with reasons to strip search the kids and grope them. It seems like an awful big expense( and yet another government abuse of power) when we could avoid it all by just having parents take responsibility to raise children properly. And if a child becomes a problem, then expel them and make the parents pay for alternative education.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:24 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
Quote:

you ever heard of a ceramic knife or a 3 D printed plastic gun???

Old 04-09-2014, 11:29 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,523 times
Quote:
Once again

you want to do something to deter this, then start having all kids go thru metal detecors, like at the airports....that would be something productive....

everyone goes thru it, one way in.....take off your shoes, etc. They have teachers monitor buses, the same with the metal detecters. That would stop it right there, and let there be no other entry at the start of each day.

take all guns and knives. box cutter away from kids, expel the kids and fine the parents big time!!!!
Start holding parents accountable....ours were.

Easy solution!!!! And yet, to date, who does this? No one, why?

Discussion?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
>>>> We don't need or want the TSA in our schools. They'd come up with reasons to strip search the kids and grope them. It seems like an awful big expense( and yet another government abuse of power) when we could avoid it all by just having parents take responsibility to raise children properly. And if a child becomes a problem, then expel them and make the parents pay for alternative education.

American kids shouldn't have to go through a metal detector, or have any type of "airport like security" near the school.
Maybe that would only be needed at some of these violent schools in certain cities where, they are for the most part just 12 year day cares.

I agree with you that parents need to held responsible for their kids. I would go further then a fine. If they are on welfare reduce it, or suspend it all together, make jail time a possibility. That would make parents care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies