Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 03:05 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,035,126 times

Advertisements

I know I go against even some Conservatives on this, and nearly all liberals, but when this country started rewarding the poor who have kids, it started down not just a dangerous path. But an extremely stupid one.

Why in the hell do we look for ways to reward those who knowingly have kids, yet can barely take care of themselves? Most of these situations arent people who accidentally get pregnant. (and let's be honest, you dont ever "accidentally" get pregnant. We all know the possible out come of sex). Giving these people handouts and rewards for having kids is like rewarding your dog for getting himself into trouble or making a mess. Now people not just expect it, but they want more and more. And if you dont want to do more, you hate the poor or hate the children.

Personal responsibility no longer exists. People are afraid to say on national tv that you should not have kids if you can't afford it, and you should no longer be rewarded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 03:51 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,217,006 times
Kids = money from social services. The more kids the more money.

Then they expect the village to raise the kids.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:57 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Giving these people handouts and rewards for having kids is like rewarding your dog for getting himself into trouble or making a mess.
Maybe part of your lack of understanding is thinking of poor people as animals instead of human beings.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:58 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,217,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Maybe part of your lack of understanding is thinking of poor people as animals instead of human beings.
Nothing of value said.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:02 PM

606 posts, read 354,644 times
It sucks to have to pay for other peoples' kids because they either cannot or will not take care if their own.

However, what's the alternative? The children didn't ask to be born, especially into such a crappy situation. We cannot punish the children because the parents are irresponsible.

Furthermore, it's bad for society in the long run to just throw up our hands and say, "the hell with it! Every man for himself!" Those children that we let fall through the cracks become tomorrow's problems. Yes, I know that a lot of these children are already on their way to becoming problems. However, it will be much worse if we as a society choose to not provide for children whose families won't provide for them.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
It sucks to have to pay for other peoples' kids because they either cannot or will not take care if their own.

However, what's the alternative? The children didn't ask to be born, especially into such a crappy situation. We cannot punish the children because the parents are irresponsible.

Furthermore, it's bad for society in the long run to just throw up our hands and say, "the hell with it! Every man for himself!" Those children that we let fall through the cracks become tomorrow's problems. Yes, I know that a lot of these children are already on their way to becoming problems. However, it will be much worse if we as a society choose to not provide for children whose families won't provide for them.
I agree but it won't get better as poor have 3 times as many kids as non poor.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:10 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,255,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
I know I go against even some Conservatives on this, and nearly all liberals, but when this country started rewarding the poor who have kids, it started down not just a dangerous path. But an extremely stupid one.

Why in the hell do we look for ways to reward those who knowingly have kids, yet can barely take care of themselves? Most of these situations arent people who accidentally get pregnant. (and let's be honest, you dont ever "accidentally" get pregnant. We all know the possible out come of sex). Giving these people handouts and rewards for having kids is like rewarding your dog for getting himself into trouble or making a mess. Now people not just expect it, but they want more and more. And if you dont want to do more, you hate the poor or hate the children.

Personal responsibility no longer exists. People are afraid to say on national tv that you should not have kids if you can't afford it, and you should no longer be rewarded.
Perhaps they were taking Sarah Palin's advice of using abstinence as a birth control method--as Bristol Palin did.

This is why having proper sex education classes in school should be a no-brainer for teens, and birth control should be available and cheap. This is an issue where pragmatism should take precedence over religion. Otherwise there will be either poor mothers or abortions. As far as personal responsibility, when politicians are having affairs left and right (the latest being US Rep Lance McAllister, who campaigned on 'family values'), it is rather difficult to preach morals and personal responsibility to the general population.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:11 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,829 times
Conservatives are just so clueless on crap like this. Lets see the right pushes abstinence only sex education, demands that nothing related to sex or contraception be taught except "don't do it until you are married," wants to restrict contraception, ban abortion and then somehow doesn't understand why people in their teens and early 20s have kids.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:11 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,734 times
"Why do poor people have kids?"

If you don't know by now, maybe it's time for your parents to have a little talk with you.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:16 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,707 times
First of all, I want to make it clear that (1) I'm more progressive than most progressives I know, (2) I abhor paying for single moms who are on welfare, (3) I absolutely hate seeing so much of my tax dollars paying for leeches, and (4) I am absolutely behind Obama.

That said, being realistic, I have to accept that the poor/uneducated will always have way way way more kids than they can support. It happens in countries that have social safety nets and countries without social safety nets. Have you ever been to a 3rd world country lately? Most of them have no welfare programs, and their poor pump out kids like there is no tomorrow.

It's just a fact of life. It's less of a headache if you just ignore it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies