Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 07:30 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times

Advertisements

Those who would give up more liberties in exchange for more safety deserve neither.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 07:37 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edspace View Post
... if there were no guns. No school shootings. No sidewalk muggings. No holdups of all-nite inconvenience stores.

Think of all the lives that would have been saved if we banned knives too!

Think of all the lives that would have been saved with MORE regulations on those pollution-belching corporations who poison our water and air.

Now, let me ask you this: Think of all the lives that would have been saved IF we never would have written the Declaration of Independence!!! Think about it. Think of all the lives lost at Brandywine and Yorktown. Remember poor Nathan Hale and the rope around his neck. Think of all those who froze to death in agony at Valley Forge. Don't forget Lexington and Concord. Think of all those who died there! And for what??? All because a bunch of blow-hards didn't want TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION! hUH??? And they wanted the right to trial by jury of their peers. Not to mention freedom of religion, speech and press.

Now there were some who said, "But... but... if we demand those liberties, the British soldiers will start shooting at us!" And Mr. Jefferson and Mr. Adams replied, "Well duh! You think?!"
In reply, Mr. Pat Henry cried, "Give me liberty or give me death!"

Well it goes without saying that they decided FREEDOM was more important than SAFETY! They knew there was a big risk to have those liberties. They knew it wasn't safe. They knew that lives would be lost, possibly theirs. But they decided it was worth it to live a life with a minimal government and maximum personal liberties. They even knew that their business or farm just might fail and they might die of starvation. But again, it was worth the risk.

Yes, we've had violence in our schools AGAIN! Very tragic. (Those liberal policies are really working!) And the shooting spree at Ft. Hood. I feel for everyone of those victims. But that's just a risk we're going to have to take if we're to remain a society that values personal liberties, just like those poor frost-bitten patriots at Valley Forge. I realize I could be the next victim, maybe even tomorrow. But I'm not willing to give up any more liberties just to reduce that risk. I'll take one week of freedom over 100 years of strict regulation and control.

How come more people today don't say "Give me liberty or give me death!" when the government proposes more regulations and less choice upon us? It's scary to think that this generation, had they lived back in 1776 may have NEVER drafted a Declaration of Independence. Instead, they would have said, "Please, King George, give us just a little free bread and we'll always be loyal to you."

Am I the last of a dying breed here?
People don't stand for anything anymore... well they do, themselves. The sense of entitlement is geting out of control. It's much easier to just let our freedoms get taken away while they get the warm fuzzy feeling that the government is going to make it safe for me, then they can get back to the latest episode of the Kardasians or Honey Booboo or videogames.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:48 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
OP, people have been living cushy lives in this country for a very long time, despite how much whining they do stating that they don't. Most people wouldn't have a clue how to fight for their freedoms. It's not a Cracker Jacks toy surprise that you get in every box...although some people act like it is.

You're not a dying breed...you are just being drowned out right now by the ones who think the Government should be their parent, long in to their own adulthood. Some people never want to leave the safety of their childhood and deal with the real world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
(image that was posted)
Pic didn't show in my reply, but that one of O as a fairy...hahahahahahahahahahahhaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I've got some friends who think banning guns would make everything better. Im not sure why they think that to be honest. yeah less shootings....so what? heart disease, accidents, or suicide are more likely to kill the average American. And guns have tons of benefits both for our culture, and our chosen form of government.

Reasonable things like saying "hey you're a felon just released from a mental hospital-No gun for you!" I can see. but not much beyond that.

True gun control is using both hands.
Woah...we finally agree on something!

Old 04-10-2014, 10:13 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edspace View Post
Yes, we've had violence in our schools AGAIN! Very tragic. (Those liberal policies are really working!) And the shooting spree at Ft. Hood. I feel for everyone of those victims. But that's just a risk we're going to have to take if we're to remain a society that values personal liberties, just like those poor frost-bitten patriots at Valley Forge. I realize I could be the next victim, maybe even tomorrow. But I'm not willing to give up any more liberties just to reduce that risk. I'll take one week of freedom over 100 years of strict regulation and control.
Nonsense. We have far more of these events occurring than other civilized nations that also provide their citizens with pretty much all the basic personal freedoms you have. To just blow it off as "a crazed gunman killing another batch of people again at a movie theater is the price of freedom" is grotesque and callous.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:00 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Nonsense. We have far more of these events occurring than other civilized nations that also provide their citizens with pretty much all the basic personal freedoms you have. To just blow it off as "a crazed gunman killing another batch of people again at a movie theater is the price of freedom" is grotesque and callous.
One has to ask why we have these events occurring more so today. What has changed? It isn't the access to guns, this country has had access to guns ever since it was founded. Guns are not the problem, it's people who are the problem. Take away the guns and they will find another means to take lives, your not going to cure the problem by treating the symptom you have to find the cause.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:32 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Those who would give up more liberties in exchange for more safety deserve neither.
That is brilliant.

Anyone that says I'll protect you from the boogie man is very likely to be the boogie man himself.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
True gun control is using both hands.
Na it is hitting what you are aiming at.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:39 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
That is brilliant.

Anyone that says I'll protect you from the boogie man is very likely to be the boogie man himself.

Hey, tell that to Ben Franklin. He is the one that coined the phrase. I'm just echoing his sentiments.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Hey, tell that to Ben Franklin. He is the one that coined the phrase. I'm just echoing his sentiments.
One smart person. Good to rip off the best.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:23 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,741,572 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Another impassioned thread to have the right to do what you think liberty is.

Personal liberties? What is that? What does it mean? What is the definition that you give to it?

Guns were mentioned. Is that it? You think that it is your right to carry loaded weapons where ever you wish and shoot whomever you choose? To be the judge, jury and executioner all rolled into one? Ah, you say no one would do that. But that is the implication and, unfortunately, it happens frequently in this country.
The definition is simply

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Thomas Jefferson

That is my right to defend my self when and where I am threaten...It does happen in this nation and overwhelming it is a criminal who ups up in a body bag.

Less choice. What does that mean? All of us deserve choices. In particular, the right to live and have the opportunity to have access to those choices so that we might live as best we can. And as long as we can. Is it more choices for everyone? Or is it more choices for you and fewer for me?

I wonder. Just how many in this country would be willing to see the town or city they live in destroyed? To see their future and their livelihood vanish? To see the concept of state and country shredded? How many would follow to do away with this nation? Because, like it or not believe it or not, thats what you are advocating. All that just so some could prance around carrying their loaded weapons? Is that it? I'd bet very few would be willing to go down that path for you. I wouldn't. The stakes are too high.

Really? We are the ones shredding the Constitution?

We are the ones who force others to be limited in their rights?

We are the ones willing to destroy this nations, its heritage, its culture and future to enforce a ideology that has failed?

We already have the right to carry around loaded weapons, and so far nothing bad has happened, a few control freaks are mad, but that is nothing new..

Quote:
We no longer live in the 18th century. Half-baked notions of what was true then no longer apply to life today in this country.
Really?

So Rapist loner rape?

Thieves do not steal?

Murders do not Murder

Tyrants and their agents to not take by force what they can not claim by right?

I did not know human nature has changed so much so that we are not in a danger of our follow man or those with power over us...

Quote:
One thing about Americans, most don't travel outside this country. They never see the other side of the world. Many would be vastly surprised if they did see how others live. And what some consider tyranny here would be laughed at there. You know the real tyranny? The abject servitude to false patriotism foisted upon this country by totally corrupt individuals (and no, not the politicians - they are only tools) who could care less about this country. Rampant nationwide manipulation is the name of their game (for their own gain) and sadly many believe it.
You are right we did not travel outside this nation, most other nations or at least a vast amount of people dislike us, for a lot of reason and frankly I could care less if they like us or not.

Yeah that is right play moral equivalence of who is to blame, it is not us who want more liberty, more choice, more freedom, lower taxes, a secure border, a small government, and a right to keep and bear arms and to keep that right uninfriged upon..Find another group to point the figure at...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies