Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you stand with gay marriage and gay sex?
I support the legalization same-sex marriages and I'm fine with gay sex. 60 54.55%
I support the legalization same-sex marriages and I'm not fine with gay sex. 10 9.09%
I don't support the legalization same-sex marriages and I'm fine with gay sex. 5 4.55%
I don't support the legalization same-sex marriages and I'm not fine with gay sex. 35 31.82%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 10:49 AM

1,136 posts, read 942,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Marriage is, however, in the law.
You know, underlining incorrect arguments doesn't magically make them right. Neither does bold print or all caps, btw, in case you were going to go there next.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
There are only two checks on the Supreme Court. A constitutional amendment and appointing new Justices that change the make-up of the court. So yes, short of those two things happening, the Supreme Court is the final word on anything legal.
Right, so in other words, the Supreme Court is not actually the final word on anything. Thanks for circuitously affirming what I stated.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:50 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No. The judicial is there to check the other 2 branches. Congress can not pass an unconstitutional law, neither can the President. IF they do so it is the job of the judiciary to determine if the law is unconstitutional.
The other two branches do have checks on the Supreme Court. Congress (and/or the State legislatures) can amend the Constitution and the President has the power to appoint new Justices to change the make-up of the Court.

Aside from those two checks, the Supreme Court has final authority on the law, which smalltown doesn't seem to grasp.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:51 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
Huh, that's odd, it's funny how gay people keep saying that the only people who care about gay sex are straight people. And yet I'm pretty sure the reason it's an issue is because of gay people. So I'm not sure how this argument logically works, but it sure is popular.

"If I bring it up, that's fine. But if you oppose me, then you have a problem!"
I don't think proponents of gay marriage are really concerned about sex at all. I think, gay or straight, they have probably figured that out with no problem

The issue is about inheritance rights, spousal privileges, adoption, medical privacy, shared assets and other legal issues. If you will allow them to be legally treated like any other couple, most of them are perfectly fine keeping their sex out of your sight. I think they mostly prefer you didn't watch.

-NoCapo

Old 04-10-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
No, they are all there to check each other. Which means that the Supreme Court isn't the final anything anywhere, contrary to popular belief and an incorrect opinion stated here.
Seeing how rare a constitutional amendment is, for all intents and purposes yes, the SCOTUS is final. It's extremely difficult to overrule their rulings.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Huh, that's interesting because marriage isn't a right and doesn't appear in the Constitution, so I don't know why I have to do anything you just said.
Neither does privacy or the right to vote.

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
You know, underlining incorrect arguments doesn't magically make them right. Neither does bold print or all caps, btw, in case you were going to go there next.
Are there not laws regarding marriage?
Are there not legal protections called marriage?

What was incorrect about saying that marriage is part of our laws?

3,402 posts, read 2,788,721 times
Quote:
Are you seriously arguing that there is no law, Federal or State regarding marriage?!?! That the state of matrimony plays no part in law, at all?!! If that was true we wouldn't have to have this discussion and you know it. At this point, you can't seriously believe what you are spewing, so congrats of having taken the mickey...

-NoCapo

Old 04-10-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
The issue is about inheritance rights, spousal privileges, adoption, medical privacy, shared assets and other legal issues. If you will allow them to be legally treated like any other couple, most of them are perfectly fine keeping their sex out of your sight. I think they mostly prefer you didn't watch.

-NoCapo
That's actually not true, either. In fact, it's funny because after gay marriage passes, nothing actually changes. It's not like gay people are like "whew, finally, we can adopt someone, so let's go out and do it!!" Or "wow, now I can visit you in a hospital, which for some reason I couldn't before, although I'm not sure how that works!!" Those were all manufactured issues, if you're being honest.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:54 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
The other two branches do have checks on the Supreme Court. Congress (and/or the State legislatures) can amend the Constitution and the President has the power to appoint new Justices to change the make-up of the Court.

Aside from those two checks, the Supreme Court has final authority on the law, which smalltown doesn't seem to grasp.
True, but what is the likelihood of a either of those happening over same sex marriage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies