Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 11:38 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
You are way off. The 10 trillion was the debt accumulated byt all previous administratons combined. The Obama administration added 7 to that.
both parties bear responsibility, and that the debt can only be addressed through bipartisan cooperation.

"It took two parties to get us into debt. It’s going to take two parties to get us out of debt,". "Under President (George W. Bush), we added $4.9 trillion to the debt. Under President Obama, since he’s been in office, we’ve added $6.5 trillion to the debt," Bush was in office from January 20, 2001*– January 20, 2009 . Obama January 20, 2009 to present. Thats what i said, unless im mistaken?

There is no argument that government spending must stop. My point is the blame game has got to stop too, both parties are to blame for our debt. I only propose the opposite veiw because we have way to many conservatives on this site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 11:40 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
both parties bear responsibility, and that the debt can only be addressed through bipartisan cooperation.

"It took two parties to get us into debt. It’s going to take two parties to get us out of debt,". "Under President (George W. Bush), we added $4.9 trillion to the debt. Under President Obama, since he’s been in office, we’ve added $6.5 trillion to the debt," Bush was in office from January 20, 2001*– January 20, 2009 . Obama January 20, 2009 to present.

There is no agreement that government spending must stop. My point is the blame game has got to stop too, both parties are to blame for our debt. I only propose the opposite veiw because we have way to many conservatives on this site.
On this, we completely agree!

Old 04-10-2014, 11:40 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealrm View Post
Based on the articles you provided your number are incorrect. The dates were for the end of the financial year.

So the debt was 5.7 when bush took office and 10.0 when Obama took office. It is now 16.7.

So Bush raised the debt by 4.3 in 8 years and Obama raised it 6.7 in just over 5 years. Maintaining that rate it will hit 10.7 by the time he leaves office. Nor does this include the 4 trillion dollars in Fed reserve debt.
Actually, you are both wrong. Presidents do not created the budget, nor do Presidents raise the debt ceiling, and in the last 16 years Presidents have had only a few opportunities to veto the Continuing Resolutions/Omnibus/Supplemental bills because most were passed by Congress with a veto-proof majority.
  • It is Congress that is responsible for spending, not Presidents.
  • It is Congress that is responsible for raising the debt ceiling, not Presidents.
It is truly amazing how many Americans are completely clueless with regard to how their own government functions. I blame the public school system for this obvious deficiency.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
On this, we completely agree!
Sorry typo instead of agreement it should be argument.

Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Actually, you are both wrong. Presidents do not created the budget, nor do Presidents raise the debt ceiling, and in the last 16 years Presidents have had only a few opportunities to veto the Continuing Resolutions/Omnibus/Supplemental bills because most were passed by Congress with a veto-proof majority.
  • It is Congress that is responsible for raising the debt ceiling, not Presidents.
It is truly amazing how many Americans are completely clueless with regard to how their own government functions. I blame the public school system for this obvious deficiency.
You having previously responded to my post in this thread, you know that we arent both wrong as i have never said President create budgets.

Why the need to lie ?

here, i will quote myself to prove a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
ugh, we do this every year.

President Obama does not send a budget, he sends a budget proposal. Republicans put that proposal in budgetary language.

They keep all his spending amounts the exact same, but rearrange where the money is spent. Then they stage a vote on it and call it the President's budget.

I know you hate President Obama, but do you honestly believe he would send a budget that got voted down 432 -2 ????????????
you responded directly to that post earlier, yet here you claim i said the President sends budgets.

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The national dent at the end of the 2013 Fiscal year was 16.7. Im not adding in this year because those are just estimates.

My numbers also arent off .
Yes, they are. Your numbers are wrong. Go to the federal government's own Treasury Direct website. I provided the links. They state both the current national debt, as well as letting you search within specific time frames.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, they are. Your numbers are wrong. Go to the federal government's own Treasury Direct website. I provided the links. They state both the current national debt, as well as letting you search within specific time frames.
I never claimed the Treasury was wrong, I said you were because you were going by calender year.

The federal budget does not start on January first of each year. or the inauguration date of the President. They start in October of the Previous year.

Are you claiming they dont ? if not, then what exactly are you calling me wrong on ?

Old 04-10-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
You make a wonderful point. In my excuse im thinking tax rates from past to present, budget spending, etc etc. That i overlooked that point wish i could give you 20 rep points.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:47 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
"Under President (George W. Bush), we added $4.9 trillion to the debt. Under President Obama, since he’s been in office, we’ve added $6.5 trillion to the debt," Bush was in office from January 20, 2001*– January 20, 2009 . Obama January 20, 2009 to present. Thats what i said, unless im mistaken?
Yes. you're mistaken. This is what you said:
Quote:
Out of the 17 trillion we have of total debt today, 10 trillion was made out of the bushs administration.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes. you're mistaken. This is what you said:
Not sure what he actually meant, but passing a budget and responsibility for the debt in it are not the same.

Do you blame Barack Obama for Iraq/Afghanistan war spending ? even though he did not start those wars(Maybe i should write "conflicts" so no one claims i didnt know the legal definition of war) ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies