Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 06:01 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times

Advertisements

More Calif. Doctors Illegally Charging Insured Patients Extra Fees

KNX 1070 Investigation: More Calif. Doctors Illegally Charging Insured Patients Extra Fees « CBS Los Angeles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 06:09 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,459,412 times
LoL, some "unnamed doctors" say it's because of the ACA...because of costs they cannot cite or identify....

Sure, and I have some swampland in Florida to sell you. My god, some people will believe anything.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:53 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,663,852 times
0bamacare is going to destroy the medical profession. I can't imagine any young person wanting to be a doctor. The glory is gone.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:58 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,459,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
0bamacare is going to destroy the medical profession. I can't imagine any young person wanting to be a doctor. The glory is gone.
There is a shortage of residency spots for those who want to become doctors.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:10 PM

15,625 posts, read 10,378,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Doctors pay hundreds of thousands and a decade of life or more to be educated to take care of people. How many smart people do you think will make that investment if they can't make a good living? They have many other choices for a profession.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:11 PM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The story doesn't sound right to me.

Doctors are free to charge whatever they want.

Medicare and any other insurance will only pay what their contract stipulates.

Doctors who participate in a health insurance plan know they will be paid ONLY what the contracted for no matter what they send the bill for.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:15 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,780,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
The best and brightest have been known to take their talents elsewhere.

During internet boom 1996-2000 the prospective graduating students who are usually at the top of their classes all left and went to pursue internet careers at start ups. Look at the graph. You had 46k applicants for 15k slots around 1995-96. That's major competition. Than it tanked completely to around 34k applicants for 16k slots in 2001. Clinton left us with a recession in 2001 than the applicant pool starting increasing again.

Now the past 5-6 years the number of slots has increased to around 21k. And you have 48k applicants. So 48k applicants for 21k slots in 2013 represents a decline in the ratio of applicants to slots compared to the mid 90s.

https://www.aamc.org/download/153708/data/

I suspect we are heading towards another downturn in medicine. Students aren't going to be crippled with 250-350k in debt. Not make "real doctor" money till age 30-35. And real doctor money may not even be around.

It very hard to be altruistic trying to help people when you have bills to pay yourself. A new grad pediatrician at age of 29 will be lucky to make $100k in a major city. Even if they become "partner" which is becoming less and less common as corporations buy out practices or become hospital employees. The are looking at around $150-200k max.

It's just easier to pursue another career. Less headaches. More time to devote to family.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:16 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,823,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper
Yes it sure is!!!!!!! (They are quite angry also)

Old 04-10-2014, 07:16 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,716,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Thats funny you could say the same thing about Medicare but the Tea Party isnt complaining about that are they? Its been common practice for a while now for doctors to try to bill their patients for extra money even though they have signed an agreement with the insurance companies to bill for X amount of dollars. As an example my wife went to a doctor and the total bill was $500 according to the doctor. Our insurance company said the bill was only $300 that is the amount the doctor was supposed to charge. We paid the doctor the $500 and the extra $200 was gone. The ACA and the insurance companies are trying to control the costs. (at least thats a theory_ The Tea Party types wants the ACA flushed down the toilet and let the docs and hospitals have free reign. Guess who is paying for your Medicare. The people on the ACA who you want to leave at the mercy of docs and hospitals.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:58 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The story doesn't sound right to me.

Doctors are free to charge whatever they want.

Medicare and any other insurance will only pay what their contract stipulates.

Doctors who participate in a health insurance plan know they will be paid ONLY what the contracted for no matter what they send the bill for.
And MDs are free to participate in the plan, or not.

Some MDs make the business decision to not participate in any insurance plan. Their patients know this going in and know they need to pay out of pocket at the point of service. If the patient is insured, they are free to submit a claim and their insurer will pay their customary rate for out of network providers, if their plan accommodates out of network providers.

An MD may chose to accept one BCBS plan and not another, or one insurer and not another.Some plans allow the MD to cap the number of patients it accepts.

Historically, those with the most affordable plans have had the fewest choices of MDs who will accept those plans. This was true before the ACA and nothing within the ACA changes this.

That some medical practices attempt to milk the claim is nothing new.

How this is news is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies