Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 07:05 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Type every single problem you listed above into google and read, every single thing you listed was a problem (and is fixed), is a current problem, or is a possible problem (with the exception of 3-5 that you listed out of context.)

Then you said scientists who believe in man made global warming have built careers on global warming.
Can you provide a source that explains that? (No you can't because your statement is not true.)

But the strange thing is the scientists that appear on Fox news who say global warming is a hoax, they made a career from saying global warming is a hoax (because ExxonMobile pays them to say that.)

Here are (3) sources explaining how ExxonMobile pays scientists to deny global warming.

Exxon-funded group
Revealed: Exxon Secret Funding of Global Warming Junk Scientists | Greenpeace
Scientists offered cash to dispute climate study | Environment | The Guardian

I don't wish to be rude, but Fox news, Rush radio, and republicans CEO politicians have put you people into a delusional (flip-brained) fantasy land.

Chad.
Sigh ...

Of course you pick the right wing morons as exemplars of idiocy on this argument.

So why instead dont you start reading up on the work done by REAL scientists based upon PEER REVIEWED publications that have concluded that YOUR side is WRONG. I'll post a couple of links but I know you wont bother because you are in ideologue, not a seeker of Truth.

NIPCC Reports

You could spend weeks reading through these, but you wont.

Dr Roy Spencer

Lots of good info from a REAL scientist who thinks your side is full of crappola. You could spend some time educating yourself but you wont. After all, what is truth compared to the the brainwashing you have accepted from your liberal left masters?

Sorry but I am pretty tired of all this liberal left nonsense. You arent interested in truth. You are only interested in promulgating your religion. Go away. Your religion is false, based upon lies, and seeks to destroy this great nation and all the progress we have made, to the greater benefit of mankind, over these past couple hundred years. Folks like you want only to propel us into a new dark age, with your side the ruling class, and my side as your slaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 07:21 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
nope,...no-one is denying the ozone hole

are you the denier???

do you deny that the ozone hole is NOT man made

do you deny that the ozone hole has been around for milllions of years...well before man

Acid raid, ozone depletion contributed to ancient extinction | Carnegie Institution for Science
Scientists have uncovered evidence that Earth's mass extinction 250 million years ago was caused by acid rain and ozone depletion.
Pure unmitigated BS.

The evidence collected thus far suggests anoxic seas caused the Permian/Triassic extinction event. Furthermore, there were three major extinction events 10 million years apart. The first one, 270 million years ago, was greater than the Cretaceous/Tertiary extinction event 65 million years ago. Then 260 million years ago another mass extinction event occurred, and finally a third extinction event occurred 250 million years ago. Also, 250 million years ago is when the continents of Gondwanaland and Laurasia collided forming the super-continent of Pangaea.

There is no evidence of any meteorite impact, no coal bearing layer (like there have been with prior extinction level events), and evidence that CO2 levels were between 250 and 350 ppm (lower than today) and the O2 levels in the atmosphere was between 14% and 16% (about 25% less than today).

Acid rain as a cause of the Permian/Triassic extinction event is a completely ridiculous notion. While it is true that the Siberian Traps were going off during this time, the CO2 levels were far too low and only gradually increased during the Triassic over millions of years. Furthermore, it does not explain the sudden spike in the mean surface temperature. Volcanic activity cools the planet, at no time has volcanic activity ever increased the mean surface temperature.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:22 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You put no thought into that comment, and didn't bother to watch the video...Watch and learn about what is going on in the rest of the world.
That's quite hypocritical since you refuse to put any thought into NOAA data....

Source: http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/abrup...me-fuji-lg.gif

As I recall, you said..

If you just read and believe whatever the right wing bloggers feed you you are nothing but a parrot.

Except the graph and the data comes from your own government's NOAA.....hardly a right wing blog, but then I guess some people feel compelled to move the goal-posts when humiliated.

And you said....

You have to be the Gish gallop queen, and I'm not impressed....If you are trying to overwhelm me with your cherry picked data, it's not going to work.

Cherry-picked?

The data covers the temperature and CO2 levels for the last 350,000.

I want everyone to see the entire picture, not 50 cherry-picked years like the IPCC cherry picks.

I want everyone with half a brain is looking at that government graph from the NOAA and saying, "WTF? This is the coldest Inter-Glacial Period in history over the last 350,000 years....the last 3 Inter-Glacial Periods were 10.8°F warmer than it is now."

Smart people who know how to think would be wondering why this Inter-Glacial Period is 10.8°F colder than the last one.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/34264007-post544.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
celebrity investigators'''lol thanks for the laugh
Anyone who supports "climate change" (snicker) is an bona fide expert the little brains of global warmers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
BTW Climate Change is NOT equivalent to Global Warming. Not that most folks understand the difference.
The use of such Orwellian NewSpeak is proof alone that there is no global warming.

The screamed "Global Warming" for 15 years, and in the total absence of any supporting data, people correctly ridiculed them. So, they hired a branding firm who gave them a new image with a spiffy new name "Climate Change."

It's predicated on fallacies...

Intensional

The mistake of treating different descriptions or names of the same object as equivalent even in those contexts in which the differences between them matter.

Equivocation

Equivocation is the illegitimate switching of the meaning of a term during the reasoning.

It isn't just that you have to sit there and take it when they lie to you, it's that your government pays them with your money to lie to you.

Reality rules....

Mircea

Old 04-15-2014, 07:28 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Then you said scientists who believe in man made global warming have built careers on global warming.
Can you provide a source that explains that? (No you can't because your statement is not true.)

Michael Mann... the infamous hockey stick guy. He is a college professor whos career is based solely on global warming.

James Hansen a NASA scientist who worked for the government all his life. but is worth MILLIONS. Why? because he makes $$$$$ speaking to different groups about 1 subject. Global Warming.

Keith Briffa pretty much made his place in this world on a single tree in Yamal Russia. if you dont know what that means, you need to do some serious review of your street cred on this subject.

i can go on

You talk about Exxon giving money to people to muddy the waters. Who has that money?

we know for certain that the US government has given multi-billions of dollars almost exclusively to scientists who believe in CAGW. MULTI_BILLIONS.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:01 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,273,714 times
Default Bravo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwalkthanks View Post
I really wish this topic could be discussed without the snarky, condescending, elitist attitude as referenced in the post above. I'm a little sick and tired of this debate being characterized as anyone who is skeptical of AGW is treated like a simplistic rube who doesn't understand science and needs things explained to them.

There is a BIG problem with your argument. In an IDEAL world, science does use references, numbers, sources, data, etc. However, some of us are of the opinion that much of modern science has been corrupted by politics, activism, greed, dogma and groupthink. So it's a bit disingenuous to be asking for references and proof when they were produced in an environment that was not following 100% blind, impartial SCIENCE with no prejudice towards any particular outcome.

Like the programers say: GIGO- Garbage In, Garbage Out. If your raw data has been corrupted or the science itself has not been conducted in the spirit of impartiality, the data, results, references, and numbers that you so covet are all suspect as well.

You may choose to ignore things like Climategate because the EPA and the National Science Foundation conducted an "investigation" and found no wrongdoing but that's a bit like asking Bernie Maddoff to audit his own books. I'm a bit skeptical.

It's not some big, back room conspiracy either, it's simple reality. How much of what the government has it's hands in is NOT tainted by politics, activism, greed, dogma and groupthink? To assume that science which is being funded to the tune of BILLIONS of dollars per year, predicated on finding more evidence of AGW is being conducted in truly impartial, blind manor with regards to the scientific process and the spirit of true discovery is ridiculously NAIVE!

You call it a "delusional conversation where people just make up facts" because you are scared of debating IDEAS and opinions without having your liberal talking points and doctored science to back you up.
You think that by repeating "97% consensus" or "The debate is over" enough times will make people stop thinking for themselves, shut up and go away. Well we are NOT going to shut up and go away and our numbers are growing.

Let me ask you a question.. If the "science is settled", "the debate is over" and there is this overwhelming consensus, why do we need BILLIONS of dollars in the federal budget EACH YEAR to continue to study this?!?!?

I will grant you that some of that money goes towards studying ways of mitigating the risks and fixing the potential damage but it seems that most of it is still being used to produce more alarmist studies. Why do we seriously need more trips to the arctic for more ice core studies if there is this huge "consensus"? If I believed in AGW, I'd be pissed because I'd want ALL of my tax dollars going towards protecting us from the damage, not more studies. That's like being told you have an advanced heart condition and instead of scheduling surgery, your doctor decides to just keep running more tests that tell him the same thing!

The answer, of course, is that this has become and entity unto itself that is very lucrative and entire careers are dependent on keeping the climate alarmism gravy train rolling along.

I couldn't have said it better myself!

I am also tired of the snarkiness on this thread and similar threads. The name calling has to end or I will just start skipping over your name when you have a post.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:14 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
So you are also an ozone hole denier....Why am I not surprised?
An ozone hole denier? Now why does that not surprise me that you would confirm my previous claim of the grade school playground name calling nature of you who think you are so smart? Is it even possible to have an adult conversation with you about anything?

The real science doesn't deny fluctuation in the ozone layer ... it merely rejects the manmade chemical effect which was given undue credit for it. Try reading the comprehensive analysis and explanation of the complexity of the ozone layer found at the provided link.

The mind is like a gas station .... absolutely useless when closed.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
You know that how? You do realize that these catastrophic events are predicted far in the future, don't you? How does one give evidence of events that have not yet happened?
You do realize that these clowns haven't yet perfected the prediction of weather patterns for next week? But you think they can predict climatic changes "far off in the future"? And you apparently don't see the total lack of logic or common sense in believing such nonsense.

Let me give you just a tiny clue ..... let's say I'm a climate scientist ... just hypothetically ..

I say, give me grants, fund my research, and allow me to predict what will happen several decades from now. Does it matter if I'm right or wrong, when I'll be long dead before it can be proven either way? What a great gig if you can get it. You don't have to be right, you just need enough people to believe you, who are willing to fund your crystal ball reading.

Might as well go to a palm reader.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwalkthanks View Post
I really wish this topic could be discussed without the snarky, condescending, elitist attitude as referenced in the post above. I'm a little sick and tired of this debate being characterized as anyone who is skeptical of AGW is treated like a simplistic rube who doesn't understand science and needs things explained to them.

There is a BIG problem with your argument. In an IDEAL world, science does use references, numbers, sources, data, etc. However, some of us are of the opinion that much of modern science has been corrupted by politics, activism, greed, dogma and groupthink. So it's a bit disingenuous to be asking for references and proof when they were produced in an environment that was not following 100% blind, impartial SCIENCE with no prejudice towards any particular outcome.

Like the programers say: GIGO- Garbage In, Garbage Out. If your raw data has been corrupted or the science itself has not been conducted in the spirit of impartiality, the data, results, references, and numbers that you so covet are all suspect as well.

You may choose to ignore things like Climategate because the EPA and the National Science Foundation conducted an "investigation" and found no wrongdoing but that's a bit like asking Bernie Maddoff to audit his own books. I'm a bit skeptical.

It's not some big, back room conspiracy either, it's simple reality. How much of what the government has it's hands in is NOT tainted by politics, activism, greed, dogma and groupthink? To assume that science which is being funded to the tune of BILLIONS of dollars per year, predicated on finding more evidence of AGW is being conducted in truly impartial, blind manor with regards to the scientific process and the spirit of true discovery is ridiculously NAIVE!

You call it a "delusional conversation where people just make up facts" because you are scared of debating IDEAS and opinions without having your liberal talking points and doctored science to back you up.
You think that by repeating "97% consensus" or "The debate is over" enough times will make people stop thinking for themselves, shut up and go away. Well we are NOT going to shut up and go away and our numbers are growing.

Let me ask you a question.. If the "science is settled", "the debate is over" and there is this overwhelming consensus, why do we need BILLIONS of dollars in the federal budget EACH YEAR to continue to study this?!?!?

I will grant you that some of that money goes towards studying ways of mitigating the risks and fixing the potential damage but it seems that most of it is still being used to produce more alarmist studies. Why do we seriously need more trips to the arctic for more ice core studies if there is this huge "consensus"? If I believed in AGW, I'd be pissed because I'd want ALL of my tax dollars going towards protecting us from the damage, not more studies. That's like being told you have an advanced heart condition and instead of scheduling surgery, your doctor decides to just keep running more tests that tell him the same thing!

The answer, of course, is that this has become and entity unto itself that is very lucrative and entire careers are dependent on keeping the climate alarmism gravy train rolling along.
What a fine post!

Old 04-15-2014, 09:00 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
An ozone hole denier? Now why does that not surprise me that you would confirm my previous claim of the grade school playground name calling nature of you who think you are so smart? Is it even possible to have an adult conversation with you about anything?

The real science doesn't deny fluctuation in the ozone layer ... it merely rejects the manmade chemical effect which was given undue credit for it. Try reading the comprehensive analysis and explanation of the complexity of the ozone layer found at the provided link.

The mind is like a gas station .... absolutely useless when closed.
Many years ago, I asked how a substance (vapor) that is FIVE TIMES heavier than air could rise into the stratosphere and attack the ozone layer.
I'm still waiting for an answer.
Knowledgeable HVAC people have told me many times that the only place spilled Freon can be found is in the ground directly under the leak.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:06 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
Years of Living Dangerously is a 9-part Showtime documentary television series focusing on climate change that will premiere on April 13, 2014. James Cameron, Jerry Weintraub and Arnold Schwarzenegger are executive producers of the series. The episodes feature celebrity investigators, who travel to areas around the world and throughout the U.S. affected by global warming to interview experts and ordinary people and view the impacts of climate change. Years of Living Dangerously - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They must be desperate.

Too bad there isn't any proof of this man-caused climate change to point to.

Our planet has simply been warming up out of a little ice-age for a hundred years or so, nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies