Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2014, 10:30 PM

33,535 posts, read 37,132,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Remember Global Cooling?

Americans are not buying this Scam...Deal with it..
What global cooling? That was media bull crap, not science....I remember reading about a guy who shot a 40 pound grasshopper, the point being that not everything you read is true....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 11:30 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
An Inconvenient Truth did very well down the States, but this should be of no surprise since it is pseudoscience, with the adherents having more power over everyone else than all other pseudosciences combined. - Bishop Hill blog - Scientific*heresy

Astronomy is a science; astrology is a pseudoscience.

Evolution is science; creationism is pseudoscience.

Molecular biology is science; homeopathy is pseudoscience.

Vaccination is science; the MMR scare is pseudoscience.

Oxygen is science; phlogiston was pseudoscience.

Chemistry is science; alchemy was pseudoscience.

Global warming is science; dangerous global warming is pseudoscience.
all good points, sort of. remember that astrology was the forerunner to astronomy, and alchemy was the forerunner to chemistry.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:01 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I never said it changed facts, but it does speak to the lack of credibility of the AWG denial effort, as the same people that denied the harm tobacco does, (Heartland Institute, funded by tobacco companies) are now denying the harm excess CO2 is doing, and are now funded by fossil fuel companies..............In any case the facts support the science....I have seen no evidence for any cause of warming except rising CO2.
unfortunately, no one connects the dots, until its too late. Tobacco co's would have a hard time denying this:
There is no safe form of tobacco. At least 28 chemicals in smokeless tobacco have been found to cause cancer . The most harmful chemicals in smokeless tobacco are tobacco-specific nitrosamines, which are formed during the growing, curing, fermenting, and aging of tobacco. The level of tobacco-specific nitrosamines varies by product. Scientists have found that the nitrosamine level is directly related to the risk of cancer.
In addition to a variety of nitrosamines, other cancer-causing substances in smokeless tobacco include polonium–210 (a radioactive element found in tobacco fertilizer) and polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons (also known as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons)

Smokeless Tobacco and Cancer - National Cancer Institute

not to go o/t, but unfortunately, as a caretaker I have seen the amt of people who get outpatient chemotherapy, and the numbers are staggering .

Old 04-25-2014, 12:19 AM

33,535 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
unfortunately, no one connects the dots, until its too late. Tobacco co's would have a hard time denying this:
There is no safe form of tobacco. At least 28 chemicals in smokeless tobacco have been found to cause cancer . The most harmful chemicals in smokeless tobacco are tobacco-specific nitrosamines, which are formed during the growing, curing, fermenting, and aging of tobacco. The level of tobacco-specific nitrosamines varies by product. Scientists have found that the nitrosamine level is directly related to the risk of cancer.
In addition to a variety of nitrosamines, other cancer-causing substances in smokeless tobacco include polonium–210 (a radioactive element found in tobacco fertilizer) and polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons (also known as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons)

Smokeless Tobacco and Cancer - National Cancer Institute

not to go o/t, but unfortunately, as a caretaker I have seen the amt of people who get outpatient chemotherapy, and the numbers are staggering .
You say not to go ot, but you are completely off topic....

Old 04-25-2014, 03:58 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
What? How can that be. Why would anybody name a nation Greenland if...........well...........never mind. I'm sure there is peer reviewed paper on it all somewhere.
Actually, by the time the Vikings discovered Greenland, circa 1000AD, it was covered with more ice than it is today. Before they discovered Greenland they also discovered Iceland on that same voyage. They settled Iceland, but had to give up their Greenland settlement because conditions were to harsh. The names they used for their discoveries were intended to deceive.

Greenland has been much warmer in the past, but not since humans discovered the place.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I'm not gonna debate whether or not Greenland was "Green" 3 million years ago......and I hope that you won't call me on the fact that Arizona was once a tropical paradise until the volcanos ruined it.....

But, I certainly hope that you're aware that the founders of "Greenland" called it that to get folks to move there.

Go figure.
Actually, the Vikings called it Greenland in the hope that their enemies would move there. That is also why they called it Iceland in the place where they actually settled - to put off the ambitions of their enemies.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:08 AM

Quote:
LOL...Have you ever seen or tasted wild grapes? They are plentiful in Ontario, and are nasty tasting little things about half the size of a pea....What the vikings called grapes were actually berries (currants and blueberries)

Regarding Greenland...It has been covered with ice over a mile thick for more than 100,000 years....Only some coastal areas were free of ice and people still live there today. The lush farmland is nothing but a myth...The Norse people that lived there were forced to move because both they and their animals were starving.....
Greenland was once completely ice free, but not since humans evolved. You have to go back 2.58 million years before you will find Greenland free of ice. If you go back far enough, Greenland would have been part of the small Euramerica continent near the equator ~300 million years ago.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
The simple fact the Vikings spent nearly 500 years on Greenland point to your arguments being untenable, not the land:

Abandoned Colony in Greenland: Archaeologists Find Clues to Viking Mystery

The scientists conducted isotope analyses on hundreds of human and animal bones found on the island. Their study, published in the Journal of the North Atlantic, paints the most detailed picture to date of the Nordic settlers' dietary habits.

As the research shows, hunger could hardly have driven the ancestors of the Vikings out of their settlements on the edge of the glaciers. The bone analyses prove that, when the warm period came to an end, the Greenlandic farmers and ranchers switched to a seafood-based diet with surprising rapidity. From then on, the settlers focused their efforts on hunting the seals that appeared in large numbers off the coasts of Greenland during their annual migrations.

When settlement began in the early 11th century, only between 20 and 30 percent of their diet came from the sea. But seal hunting played a growing role in the ensuing centuries. "They ate more and more seal meat, with the animals constituting up to 80 percent of their diet in the 14th century," explains team member Jan Heinemeier, a dating expert from the University of Aarhus, in Denmark.

There is also archaeological evidence them beer-lovin' Vikings grew corn and barley before the Little Ice Age:

Vikings grew barley in Greenland
The fact that the Vikings grew barley is not surprising. We grow barley, and other grains, in the interior of Alaska. Fairbanks, AK, is just north of Nuuk, Greenland.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I did not say "lush" I said "good".

The Vikings were frozen out by the Little Ice Age after a couple hundred years of successful colonization.

You could research it, but I know you wont because you are happy with your global warming narrative.
That is very true. Most went back to Iceland, but some also settled on the North American continent.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Wow, where are you getting all of these things that I never said....The ice cap on Greenland has been there for 100,000 years..(since the last glaciation period began) When have I said anything different?
Actually, the last glaciation period began 115,000 years ago, after the last interglacial period (which was warmer than the current interglacial period) ended. The Holocene Interglacial Period began 15,000 years ago. The last glaciation period peaked 65,000 years ago, and ended 15,000 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies