Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2014, 12:09 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times

Advertisements

As I said from the beginning this is much larger than Bundy.

Western lawmakers gather in Utah to talk federal land takeover

‘It’s time’ » Lawmakers from 9 states gather in Utah, discuss ways to take control of federal lands.

Western lawmakers gather in Utah to talk federal land takeover | The Salt Lake Tribune

Not that it's even clear that this was federal land but all the same it's a move to get them out of the state's.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:52 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Since the other thread was closed and I think this topic is important, here it goes:

Is the government response to the protesters in Nevada appropriate to the scale of the situation?

In my opinion, it is not. Whether those protesters are right or wrong, smart or stupid, rich or poor, right or left, what I have seen in the posted videos is way out of line on the part of the government. Complete overkill.

Whether the cause of those protesters was justified or not is not the issue. I believe the constitution says something about protests anyway, doesn't it? My beef is is with the response on the part of the government agents. Do you seriously feel that sending in what looks like an offshoot of the SS to rough them up was an appropriate and justified response?

If that lady was thrown to the ground, is that UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE an appropriate response by an armed soldier with a killer dog at his side? Seriously? Could he not, at most, just have grabbed the woman and moved her to wherever he wanted her to stand? Would that not have satisfied his sense of authority? It's not like she was a 250 pound UFC fighter who was any threat at all to Mr. Bigman.

It's the same story as it usually is with this sort of thing, whether the protesters are left wing, right wing, or from Mars. The SS men simply want to show their authority and they will look for whatever excuse they can find to show it. They want that adrenaline/testosterone rush. Even if it means performing a hip throw on an unarmed woman who looks like she weighed about 90 pounds. Would you have been okay with him turning the dog loose on her? How about tazing her? How about if he pulled his sidearm and put one between her eyes? Would that have been okay as well?

Where do you draw the line and decide that these people have gone too far in their response to what looked to be an unorganized bunch of... well, I don't want to insult them. But again, they didn't look to be much of a threat to the big men behind the guns and dogs to me.
This isn't a protest, this is some clown thinking he has a God given right to use land that isn't his.

If you own an apartment building and one of your tenants decides he's not going to pay his rent and when you go to collect your rent your met by several of his pals all toting semi automatic weapons are they peaceful protesters?

Old 04-19-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGG View Post
This is the correct, legal way to change this situation. I believe 100%, the states could manage 'there' lands better than the Feds.....never said different. Try and change this with guns, violence......you are a terroist and even Beck will agree with this as a negative.

There is little to argue that the Feds own this land.
Outside of the fact that the county is trying to sell the land. I've pointed this out over and over.

In December, Clark County commissioners voted unanimously to sell up to 9,000 acres of public land to the subsidiary at pennies on the dollar.

The deal spurred local controversy. Separate appraisals valued the land at $29.6 million and $38.6 million. The commission agreed to sell it to ENN for $4.5 million.

U.S. Senator Reid, son combine for China firm's desert plant | Reuters

Old 04-19-2014, 01:52 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Outside of the fact that the county is trying to sell the land. I've pointed this out over and over.

In December, Clark County commissioners voted unanimously to sell up to 9,000 acres of public land to the subsidiary at pennies on the dollar.

The deal spurred local controversy. Separate appraisals valued the land at $29.6 million and $38.6 million. The commission agreed to sell it to ENN for $4.5 million.

U.S. Senator Reid, son combine for China firm's desert plant | Reuters
You realize of course that Clark County is huge and covers most of Southern Nevada including Las Vegas suburbs. The proposed solar farms are not on or near the Bunkerville lands. If the County is selling land then it is land they own - not land owned by the feds.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
You realize of course that Clark County is huge and covers most of Southern Nevada including Las Vegas suburbs. The proposed solar farms are not on or near the Bunkerville lands. If the County is selling land then it is land they own - not land owned by the feds.
The area the Feds claim they own is huge. The land they were selling is about 15 minutes away.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
The area the Feds claim they own is huge. The land they were selling is about 15 minutes away.
The Chinese proposal fell through a year ago, but it was southeast of Las Vegas - 180 miles from the Bundy ranch - on land owned by the county. Surely you have no objection to the local county deciding what to do with it's land?.

"Aug 31, 2012 - The Langfang, China-based ENN Energy Group hopes to build what would be the largest solar energy complex in America. The site chosen with Rory Reid's guidance is in tiny Laughlin, Nevada, a gambling town of 7,300 along the Colorado River, 90 miles south of Las Vegas.

County officials have said that they were so thrilled to recruit a company to the area, with the prospect of thousands of new local jobs, that they were eager to negotiate."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...87U06D20120831

Old 04-19-2014, 02:22 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Don't you ever read what you post? The land that was to be sold to ENN was in Laughlin more like 100 miles away. The deal collapsed months ago as the developer could not find a buyer for the power. The land was owned by Clark County not the Feds.

And it had nothing to do with Bunkerville.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:22 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The proposed solar farm may be further down, but the BLM map showed the plans for that area. It's all BLM and application zones. That area up under Bunkerville, as I said appeared to consist of Land available for application zones. What many are calling solar zones. The Gold Butte ACEC (rather large) is squished up there also.

Master plans and regional plans matter. So while one may not point a finger at a particular deal, the reality is what is planned for that area and the trend with ranchers. This is very important. Funding details would also matter. From what I can see ranching doesn't look like it would fit into that plan.

Last edited by CDusr; 04-19-2014 at 02:47 PM..

Old 04-19-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
The proposed solar farm may be further down, but the BLM map showed the plans for that area. It's all BLM and application zones. That area up under Bunkerville, as I said appeared to consist of Land available for application zones. What many are calling solar zones. The Gold Butte ACEC (rather large) is squished up there also.

Master plans and regional plans matter. So while one may not point a finger at a particular deal, the reality is what is planned for that area and the trend with ranchers. This is very important. Funding details would also matter.
The Bunkerville area is hilly - not suitable for solar farms like the 2 cited/proposed in the flat desert.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGG View Post
Even Breitbart debunked this. Never happened. Show me a link for this sale, never happened.
I didn't say it happened. The deal was made, it was just never completed.

District A January 2012 Newsletter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies