Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 08:43 PM

25,318 posts, read 18,470,982 times

Advertisements

Since the other thread was closed and I think this topic is important, here it goes:

Is the government response to the protesters in Nevada appropriate to the scale of the situation?

In my opinion, it is not. Whether those protesters are right or wrong, smart or stupid, rich or poor, right or left, what I have seen in the posted videos is way out of line on the part of the government. Complete overkill.

Whether the cause of those protesters was justified or not is not the issue. I believe the constitution says something about protests anyway, doesn't it? My beef is is with the response on the part of the government agents. Do you seriously feel that sending in what looks like an offshoot of the SS to rough them up was an appropriate and justified response?

If that lady was thrown to the ground, is that UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE an appropriate response by an armed soldier with a killer dog at his side? Seriously? Could he not, at most, just have grabbed the woman and moved her to wherever he wanted her to stand? Would that not have satisfied his sense of authority? It's not like she was a 250 pound UFC fighter who was any threat at all to Mr. Bigman.

It's the same story as it usually is with this sort of thing, whether the protesters are left wing, right wing, or from Mars. The SS men simply want to show their authority and they will look for whatever excuse they can find to show it. They want that adrenaline/testosterone rush. Even if it means performing a hip throw on an unarmed woman who looks like she weighed about 90 pounds. Would you have been okay with him turning the dog loose on her? How about tazing her? How about if he pulled his sidearm and put one between her eyes? Would that have been okay as well?

Where do you draw the line and decide that these people have gone too far in their response to what looked to be an unorganized bunch of... well, I don't want to insult them. But again, they didn't look to be much of a threat to the big men behind the guns and dogs to me.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:42 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,652,715 times
We need a repeat of 1776 to put our out of line government back into check. We have militias all over the USA , and its a lot bigger then most people think. We are in a poor economy and corruption in politics has been seriously non stop. People tend to forget that the government needs to work for its people and not the other way around. We are protected in the constitution to arm up and fight back if we feel oppression from a tyrannic government...

Its on the border line and people are fed up.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:57 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,015,963 times
Maybe the Barrycades should be dusted off and erected to keep the cows away from the turtles...

Old 04-11-2014, 10:12 PM

21 posts, read 28,189 times
The government goons are totally in the wrong in this situation. I'm afraid this may be shaping up to be another Ruby Ridge situation, with the government making war on its citizens. There's got to be some way they can be reined in.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:44 PM

362 posts, read 586,266 times
the government wants us to eat trash food--i bet obama is a vegan and hates to eat meat--ive heard they serve kids horrible lunches in schools because on mrs obama

some how over the years the price of beef has risen because of NAFTA i think

but people like these phony politicians i guess

Old 04-11-2014, 10:49 PM

33,501 posts, read 37,006,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Roy Slade View Post
the government wants us to eat trash food--i bet obama is a vegan and hates to eat meat--ive heard they serve kids horrible lunches in schools because on mrs obama

some how over the years the price of beef has risen because of NAFTA i think

but people like these phony politicians i guess
No, not because of NAFTA.... For years, severe droughts in the western and southern United States have driven the price of feed such as corn and hay to record highs, causing ranchers to sell cattle they could no longer feed. The diminished herds are causing beef prices to swell to all-time highs for North Jersey butchers, delis and the customers seeking steaks and burgers. North Jersey consumers and retailers have beef with rising meat prices - Business - NorthJersey.com

Old 04-11-2014, 11:06 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,333,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
No, not because of NAFTA.... For years, severe droughts in the western and southern United States have driven the price of feed such as corn and hay to record highs, causing ranchers to sell cattle they could no longer feed. The diminished herds are causing beef prices to swell to all-time highs for North Jersey butchers, delis and the customers seeking steaks and burgers. North Jersey consumers and retailers have beef with rising meat prices - Business - NorthJersey.com

This is nothing new, there is a 1940-ish cartoon where an early Elmer Fudd prototype reads a newspaper with a headline Meat Prices Soar - Consumers Also Sore; and disgustedly tosses the paper and tells his dog, "We're going hunting - wabbit hunting!"

Old 04-11-2014, 11:25 PM

17,493 posts, read 17,366,182 times
You can't discuss this topic without including the potential Senator Harry Reid connections. First connection is the head of the BLM use to work under the Nevada Senator before his current position. Second is the deals the Nevada Senator made for Chinese investors for a solar plant.

The next thing to consider is the family owned the land since the 1800s and had already paid a public land use fee. This was when it was state land. This rancher is the only one left in the area, the others forced out one way or another, possibly through federal government activities.

Even if you agree that the government is right in requiring land use fees and restricting his cows, that still does not justify a massive military police style operation and mass slaughter of this rancher's property (cattle) without fair market value compensation for the cattle the US Government slaughtered.

Besides the anti-federal government types, I wonder where are the PETA and other animal rights groups or do they not care since this is a Democratic Party operation conducted under the umbrella of environmentalism?

As for myself, I support the rancher over the federal government and if you want to know why, look up Kelo. Government evicted people from their homes for private development that never happened. The US Supreme Court and other courts before them issued the wrong decision and now that land is bare where once family homes stood.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-12-2014 at 04:46 AM.. Reason: discussing moderation

Old 04-11-2014, 11:26 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,121,987 times
I guess I get to get my two cents worth on this subject~ this thief who stole MY money ( by stealing the use of OUR land without paying his rent) should have been arrested already. I'm one career military who will volunteer to go help clear the thugs out of the area. If all of you think its a good thing for thieves to steal what you have and then claim they are not the bad guys then any of you that own apartments feel its fine for others to live there without paying their rent of for someone to dig up your yard without compensation because its what they claim its what the forefathers of our country wished must be thinking our forefathers were all communists. Just not buying that.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:30 PM

25,318 posts, read 18,470,982 times
It is interesting to me that the troop's response to the crowd is not a concern to most of the posters here so far, but the cows are of concern.

Now, yeah, I have an opinion on the rancher, his cattle, and his treatment. But I'm more concerned with police state-like tactics used by the soldiers here against those protesters (and I don't really care what they are protesting--they could be protesting against any number of issues I fervently support and I would feel the same).

(and yes, I know I used the words "troops" and "soldiers" in the post. I could also have used my favorite reference to the SS, but I didn't. At any rate these men in the videos are troops, plain and simple. They look like troops, they act like troops... and they are just doing their job, right? No matter what the job entails. Even playing judo with old women)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies