Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 05:42 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times

Advertisements

This country has never been great enough to rise to this level, especially with the presence of the Conservative segment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 05:45 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,111,688 times
The issue goes beyond what we call racism.

Even in a one colored society, there will always be individuals whom will point out differences to claim superiority. Introduce a multi colored society and the problem is magnified.

The simple fact that some people have a need to feel superior over their neighbors will never end, unfortunately.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:48 AM

1,136 posts, read 942,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
According to his own professional biography, he is the founder of Black Liberation Theology.
Why on Earth would you have read any of that crap?

Old 04-13-2014, 06:01 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
Why on Earth would you have read any of that crap?
To see how bad the reality of race relations really is. I had no clue there was so much hatred of Whites among Blacks. And reading it helps one understand why Obama is so divisive on race. He was steeped in that environment at Trinity United for over 20 years.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:11 AM

1,136 posts, read 942,252 times
Quote:
To see how bad the reality of race relations really is. I had no clue there was so much hatred of Whites among Blacks. And reading it helps one understand why Obama is so divisive on race. He was steeped in that environment at Trinity United for over 20 years.
Oh, I already knew there was that level of hatred of whites among blacks.

And before someone asks "oh, so are you saying whites don't hate blacks??" no, they don't, not like that. Yeah, there are racists around who hate blacks, but for blacks it's where they're basically taught from childhood that all of their problems for the rest of their life will be due to whites and that everything must be viewed as "are whites keeping me down??"

And before someone else asks "isn't that to be expected, with the racist past of the country???" no, it's not. I could understand it if someone from the 1940s or whatever was angry at whites, but most people today have no excuse. It's hilarious because I knew blacks who lived in the suburbs who had parents in high-paying professional fields and they were still angry about "the white man." Like, don't you think it's time to give that horse a rest? They were like Carlton Banks and were acting like they were oppressed.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:47 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
The issue goes beyond what we call racism.

Even in a one colored society, there will always be individuals whom will point out differences to claim superiority. Introduce a multi colored society and the problem is magnified.

The simple fact that some people have a need to feel superior over their neighbors will never end, unfortunately.
I think you're right. Even amongst all or mostly white communities in the United State or other countries, there is still a visible separation. This separation is usually born through wealth separating the haves from the have nots. As you come across more diverse areas we find more and more ways to divide ourselves, be it race, ethnicity, culture, affluence, etc.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:13 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Have you read a lot of James H Cone? You sound a lot like him.
No. Never heard of him. This information has nothing to do with one person. This is human history concerning the creation of the idea of race.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
Oh vey, that sounds like it came out of a speech in 1968 or so. We've moved beyond those simple pat theories that its all whiteys fault. Everyone knows the obvious fact that every race is just as racist as whites.(if not more so)
This is historical fact not theory.

We have not moved beyond racism because we still have the exact same racial categories that were born of white supremacy and racism.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Just to show how correct you are African kingdoms happily sold off their captives to Europeans for a profit. Clearly they didn't have a shared identity as "blacks" against whites. While they will definitely have made note of the differences in color and phenotype, what was more interesting to them was how to capitalize on profitable sale of their enemies.
It is an objective historical fact that race didn't exist for most of human history. People around the world didn't have a cultural or social or national identity based on skin color.

The idea of different human races has a genesis. It has a set of ideas for existing. The main one being establishing the idea of white supremacy.

That people view this as controversial isn't surprising though.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:57 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
This is not intended to be a racist oriented thread. I am fully aware of all the trials and tribulations that minorities have had to deal with and have overcome in this country and I see the great lengths and strides that they have made. I know that the battle for minorities is still not over in this country. However, sometimes one can't help but wonder...do these policies that have been set up to help minorities favor them too much? It would seem that in today's age whites are a little disenfranchised.

Pulled this quote from a random user on "Yahoo Answers". They aren't my words, but I agree with most of what he said.

How about NAACP - the National Association for the ADVANCEMENT of Colored People
(could you just imagine the hell that would break lose if there was a National Association for the ADVANCEMENT of WHITE People?)

OR the Ebony awards (Could you imagine the IVORY awards?)

Or The Black Miss USA! (What happens if a black woman wins the non-race specific (ie: NON-RACIST) Miss USA? Isn't SHE the black miss USA? Would they both be?)

Or the United N(word) College Fund (How about the United Caucasian College Fund? Isn't a mind of ANY color a terrible thing to waste?) (I had to put N(word) - the real word got ***** (deleted) out)

Or Race Specific Scholarships! Allowed for EVERY race EXCEPT Caucasians! (Remember a few years back two Harvard students started one for white students only - and there were nearly riots in the streets! It was CRAZY! Jackson and Sharpton were foaming at the mouth they were so enraged! And to make the protesters seem even more nuts, it was only for $50 dollars!) As if ALL whites are rich and ALL blacks are poor so NO whites could ever need help paying for college and ALL blacks do. Now THAT'S racist!

Even "pride" clubs in schools for every race and sexual orientation EXCEPT whites. Call around and check. Prove me wrong.

The fact is, all of these race specific thighs say two things:
A) We're racist against white people and
B) We know if we have to compete against a white person, we'll most likely lose.

Same thing with Affirmative Action.

People can say what they want, but the truth is the truth. If you are the best, you'll win the award, the scholarship, the whatever. But to be able to compete against everyone then, if you lose, go compete compete again against a smaller less diversified group of people and win, that's not really winning, is it.

Why isn't there a we www.whitepeplemeet.com? Because if there was, other races would accuse those who started it of being racist, against racial mixing and trying to keep the white race "pure". The creators and the site would be labeled a white supremist site, no white person would touch it with a ten foot pole for fear of being labeled a racist, the business would fail and the site would be listed as a hate site by the Southern Poverty Law Center (which it does with ALL caucasian or white only anything. Whites ARE NOT permitted to be PROUD of who they are.)

Let alone have a race preference when it comes to matters of the heart.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...0105212AA2ffqf

My main question here is when do you think racial bias towards anyone race in this country will either end or come as close to an end as is possible? I understand racism has probably been around since the first days that men realized we are not all the same color, but how close is the United States to reaching the pinnacle of equality amongst races?
Two wrongs do not make a right.....but it does make things EVEN if it is an equal and opposite wrong in effort/degree, if not kind. In other words, if society does not spend as much targeted effort to undo a wrong that it put into doing a wrong....things will never become EVEN. When I say even I am talking about socioeconomically even.

I submit to you that race will always be an issue as long as blacks and whites are socioeconomically unequal in this nation. Currently black poverty is 3 times the rate of white poverty. Currently black unemployment is twice the rate of white unemployment. Currently black wealth is at least 15 times less than white wealth. Hence, is obvious that things are very uneven because society never put as much targeted effort into undoing what it did to black people because whites have viewed any effort to undo this damage as a subtraction from them socioeconomically. In other words, white society subtracted from black society, for over 300 years, to increase white society (indirectly and directly). That was a wrong and that wrong created an uneven playing field and reality. However, whites do not want blacks targeted to undo what targeting of the past created because they see that as a wrong to whites via reverse discrimination and or their tax dollars going out and not coming back to benefit them in return.

Newton said, paraphrasing, that any object moved from a state of equilibrium, by a force, requires an equal and opposite force to restore that object to equilibrium. In mathematics, what is the golden rule for solving equations? Answer: Whatever you do to one side must be done to the other side or an inequality will result.

That having been said.....its obvious that after 300 years of targeted effort against blacks in this country that there has not been an equal and opposite force to offset the impact and effect of that oppressive force. Its also obvious that what was done to one side, over the last 300 years, has not been done to the other side. Hence, this is the reason of the black/white socioeconomic inequality of today.

What people are failing to respect is that everything has EVOLVED into what it currently is. As much as it pains people....Americas past has everything to do with what America's present looks like. I submit to you that as long as things are uneven you can forget about the racial issue ever going away......and as long as things are more than marginally uneven......the issue should NEVER go away...until its even lest one believes that race determines capacities and abilities and that the superior races will also outperform the inferior races and the government should not attempt to artificially make things even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies