Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2014, 01:35 PM

21,121 posts, read 19,703,590 times

Advertisements

Don't all Communists have Soviet posters hanging in their house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 01:46 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Jay Carney worked as a correspondent in Time's Moscow Bureau for three years, I would imagine he liked the artwork and brought it home and eventually stuck it on his kitchen wall, or its a daily reminder of his efforts to turn America into a Communist country ..i think the former scenario is more plausible.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:33 PM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Jay Carney worked as a correspondent in Time's Moscow Bureau for three years, I would imagine he liked the artwork and brought it home and eventually stuck it on his kitchen wall, or its a daily reminder of his efforts to turn America into a Communist country ..i think the former scenario is more plausible.
It's somewhat odd to "like" the artwork commissioned by a regime that murdered 20 million of its own citizens.

But I suppose some people admire the rotational symmetry of the swastika, as well. Or, admire the "creative genius" of Kim Jong Un's execution of his uncle by stripping him naked and feeding him alive to 120 starving dogs.

Kim Jong Un's executed uncle was eaten alive by 120 hungry dogs: report - NBC World News

Old 04-19-2014, 04:23 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's somewhat odd to "like" the artwork commissioned by a regime that murdered 20 million of its own citizens.

But I suppose some people admire the rotational symmetry of the swastika, as well. Or, admire the "creative genius" of Kim Jong Un's execution of his uncle by stripping him naked and feeding him alive to 120 starving dogs.

Kim Jong Un's executed uncle was eaten alive by 120 hungry dogs: report - NBC World News
You can't be serious. Ovechkin, Leonov, Denisov, Bulgakov, Gorky, Eisenstein, Chukrai, Solzhenitsyn were (Denisov is still alive) brilliant artists and that's the just the tip of the iceberg. Not to mention the fact that the USSR embraced pre-Soviet artists like Pushkin, Chekov, Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky and Tchaikovsky.

You should stick to posting charts and graphs.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
You can't be serious.
20 million dead Soviet citizens serious. Nothing trivial about that.

Brilliant art not associated with a democidal regime? Fine. Propaganda posters commissioned by a democidal regime? Not so fine.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:41 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
Hmmm, let me think. Don't we have something called the First Amendment that allows freedom of expression? Since when has it become illegal to hand anything on the walls of your home? So who are the Art Police who can tell people what they can or can't put up in their homes? Is there a website I can go to make sure what I have hanging in my house is ok.

Why is it that freedom of expression is ok for some but not for others?

Cat

Old 04-19-2014, 04:43 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,093 times
Quote:
20 million dead Soviet citizens serious. Nothing trivial about that.
Does that mean you're supposed to reject all Russian art?

What exactly did Bulgakov, author of The Master and the Margarita, one of the greatest novels of the 20th century, do to kill 20 million people?

You're weak attempt at making a point just reeks of desperation. Yeah I'm sure Carney really endorses mass murder. That sounds perfectly logical.

Instead of putting up the "think" emoticon again, why don't you try thinking? Then maybe you'll stop posting such idiocy.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:51 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times
Claire Shipman biography also full of Communist love tales.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:

With that logic no one should post any American artwork as it supports the use of using nuclear weapons on innocent civilians.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Hmmm, let me think. Don't we have something called the First Amendment that allows freedom of expression?
We do. The First Amendment also guarantees freedom of association, the right to join or leave groups of a person's own choosing. It just so happens that Jay Carney has chosen to associate with a government group that practiced democide, killing off 20 million of its own citizens. It is well within Jay Carney's right to associate with and celebrate such a group by hanging its propaganda art in the kitchen of his home, and tout his association by displaying it in a magazine article photo of his family frolicking in his kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies