Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2014, 04:39 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times

Advertisements

conservatives ask questions about the cost of premiums of the ACA

Health coverage to be sold on Obamacare’s health insurance exchanges is being priced lower than originally expected, according to a new analysis released Wednesday.

In 2009, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) estimated that the monthly premium for exchange coverage would average $433 nationwide in 2016. But in nine states that have released premium information for their 2014 exchange plans, the highest monthly premium is $413, according to a new analysis from Avalere Health, an independent consulting firm. The lowest is $205.
Analysis: Obamacare Premiums Lower Than Expected

The analysis showed huge variations among states: A family of four making $50,000 in Wyoming, for instance, would pay $1,237 a month on average for a midlevel plan before subsidies, compared to $584 a month on average in Tennessee. After subsidies are added in, however, the cost to both families would be $282 because the amount they pay is linked to their income, not to the cost of coverage.

While experts say premiums vary across the states and even within states, the analysis pegged the national average for an individual at $328 a month for a midlevel policy called a silver plan, before subsidies are factored in. That’s less than the average $392 projection drawn from earlier data released by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, which will mean savings to families as well as to the federal government for tax credits

ACA Premiums Lower Than Projected, Even in Anti-Obamacare States

Nationwide, an estimated 83% of marketplace enrollees qualify for subsidies, ranging from 13% in the District of Columbia and 35% in Hawaii to 92% in Wyoming and 93% in Mississippi. (Members of Congress and some of their staff obtain coverage through the DC exchange and are not eligible for subsidies, which is why the percentage there is so much lower than in the rest of the country.)
Using the age and tax credit eligibility of enrollees reported by the federal government, along with the marketplace premiums within each state, we estimate that 3.5 million people have qualified for a total of about $10.0 billion in annual premium subsidies, or an average of about $2,890 per person.

How Much Financial Assistance Are People Receiving Under the Affordable Care Act? | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 04:39 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
So how will these people starting new businesses buy medical insurance if they or their spouse or kids has a pre-existing condition?
For what it is worth, you do realize that medical insurance and medical coverage are two completely different things, right?

This ACA you so admire is forcing medical coverage for many things not needed or wanted. So much for freedom.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
The regime in the White House hasn't released anything but propaganda. How many are young? How many had policies already? How many have paid?

Even in your link BCBS said 15-20% of their enrollments haven't paid a dime. That's 1.125 - 1.5 million people.

Is that accurate for the whole country? Who knows? You certainly don't. The executives at the insurance companies don't know either (Obamacare 2015 Rate Hikes May Soon Come Into View - Forbes). Who can blame them when every day the goalposts are moved and the propaganda spews...
Smh, conservative criticism when empirically proven a lie then switches to predicting future calamities. Same old same old. conservatives never actually grapple with the current information. Smh

Old 04-13-2014, 04:45 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Smh
What value does that post hold? Do you have a real reply to offer?

Old 04-13-2014, 04:47 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I have not found value that I can say is a good product!

I fany thing my employer issues is a mere shadow of past health care!

Old 04-13-2014, 04:58 PM

Now conservatives are on the how many have paid question. But this is a question that needs more explaining. Looking at total enrollments and total payments is foolish because obviously people who just signed up have not gotten their first bill yet.

This website uses the state of Vermont to illustrate this point

Out of 12,677 January-start policies, 11,915 of the enrollees have paid their premiums. That's 94% of them.

Out of 1,989 February-start policies, 1,842 have paid. That's 93%.

Out of 3,268 March-start policies, 2,689 have paid. That's 82%.

Out of 9,865 April-start policies (you know, the month that hasn't started yet), 1,878 have paid...or just 19%.

And finally, out of 1,151 May-start policies (still almost 6 weeks away), 183 have paid...or just 16%

Vermont: Slight QHP/Medicaid corrections; 92% of Jan-March QHPs PAID | ACASignups.net

On Monday, Peter Lee, executive director of Covered California said 87 percent of enrollees had paid their premium.

Why Some Don’t Pay Their Covered California Premium: It’s Not What You Think | State of Health Blog from KQED News

One of the biggest players in Obamacare's exchanges says 15 to 20 percent of its new customers aren't paying their first premium
15-20 Percent Aren't Paying Obamacare Premiums, Insurer Says - NationalJournal.com

Paid/Unpaid: Going with 93% "Paid or Will Pay Within a Reasonable Time"

Paid/Unpaid: Going with 93% "Paid or Will Pay Within a Reasonable TIme" | ACASignups.net

Old 04-13-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
No, to mindless speculation and fantasy projections. Nah, I am dealing with the incoming data about the present.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:10 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
For what it is worth, you do realize that medical insurance and medical coverage are two completely different things, right?

This ACA you so admire is forcing medical coverage for many things not needed or wanted. So much for freedom.
So what is it I am being forced to buy that is so bad?

These are the 10 required benefits. Most of them seem routine to me.

Granted, we don't plan on having any babies at this age, but I've got a bunch of grandchildren and hope to have some great-grandchildren some day. So it doesn't burden me at all to make sure our society's kids get decent pediatric care. They are likely to get it one way or another anyway, so why not put them in the insurance pool so that we all kick in?

Everything else seems totally non-controversial.

• Ambulatory patient services
  • Emergency services
  • Hospitalization
  • Maternity and newborn care
  • Mental health and substance use disorder services, including behavioral health treatment
  • Prescription drugs
  • Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices
  • Laboratory services
  • Preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management
  • Pediatric services, including oral and vision care

Old 04-13-2014, 05:12 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:

These are the 10 required benefits. Most of them seem routine to me.

Granted, we don't plan on having any babies at this age, but I've got a bunch of grandchildren and hope to have some great-grandchildren some day. So it doesn't burden me at all to make sure our society's kids get decent pediatric care. They are likely to get it one way or another anyway, so why not put them in the insurance pool so that we all kick in?

Everything else seems totally non-controversial.

• Ambulatory patient services
  • Emergency services
  • Hospitalization
  • Maternity and newborn care
  • Mental health and substance use disorder services, including behavioral health treatment
  • Prescription drugs
  • Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices
  • Laboratory services
  • Preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management
  • Pediatric services, including oral and vision care
We will just have to see how this plays out.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:14 PM

1,136 posts, read 941,703 times
Quote:
Who cares if you think it's not bad? Then you buy it. Instead, you're like "it's not so bad to me ...so you buy it, too!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies