Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2014, 09:22 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,318,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57
That claim was crap and Obama should be ashamed of it. There aren't many presidents who haven't lied through their teeth.

The bottom line, however, is that us self-employed folks are no longer locked out of the market.

I've had to pay heft increases of my own, but at least I can buy coverage now.

My premiums had been skyrocketing for years anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
OK...now I am confused.

Did you have insurance before ACA????

Yes.
Apparently the truth not revealed in the OP is exposed in subsequent posts by the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 09:28 PM

1,136 posts, read 942,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Apparently the truth not revealed in the OP is exposed in subsequent posts by the OP.
That would also explain why his claim about being a conservative in his OP was so confusing, given that nothing he says subsequently demonstrates any understanding of conservatism. So, in other words, he's just another liberal loser who is prancing around trying to act like "I'm a conservative and I love Obama!!"

Old 04-13-2014, 09:28 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
YES, the insurance companies, for the most part, CANNOT write policies that are customized for individuals.....due to State and Federal mandates about what they HAVE to include. And make that times 10 thanks to Osamacare!
My new policy is almost exactly the same as my old policy. Just a standard medical insurance policy like folks have been getting for years. The premium is about the same, too.

I don't understand all the commotion.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:51 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
My new policy is almost exactly the same as my old policy. Just a standard medical insurance policy like folks have been getting for years. The premium is about the same, too.

What policy??

Were you not denied because of a preexisting condition???

Old 04-13-2014, 09:53 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,818 times
Pre existing conditions on the individual market. And I mean real pre-existing conditions like heart disease cancer etc made up very little of the entire USA population.

We are probably talking about 1 million people. That's not a lot of people getting excluded. If you had other pre existing conditions like high blood pressure and asthma diabetes it's not necessary an automatic denial by insurers. That's the dirty lies Democrats tell the public. What happens is there is usually an "exclusion period" where treatment would not be covered. Usually 12 months.

So insurers would still cover you with pre existing conditions but put you on an exclusion time frame for the more benign conditions like blood pressure. So anything blood pressure related would not be covered.

What I don't like is the government and the Dems were in bed with the entire medical industry when they wrote this law. Every interested party had their hands in the cookie jar. The government could have easily applied subdidies to make sure insurers cover people with pre existing conditions. I know of Nissan dealership owner who paid $3000/month in premiums plus $10000 deductible. He did have major pre existing conditions like heart disease (previous bypass). Govt could have easily worked with insurers to make it happen. But insurers are greedy as well. They want as many clients as possible. That's why the mandate. More customers more money. Very simple. Of course they want more healthy customers to balance the sicker ones. But that's not the point. Govt could have subsidized their insurers just for the sick (like medicare) without need for public options.

It's far cheaper this way than re doing entire health system.

Other "perks" like keeping young adults till age 26 don't cost insurers much money at all. We all know it's super cheap to insure the vast majority of young adults. Those adults can get their own policies.

So this entire pre existing conditions is really about less than 1% of the entire USA population affected on the individual market. (Yes I am aware as much as 15% of Americans have pre existing conditions). But we are talking about the individual market. Also most of the pre existing conditions are from older people on medicare already. The rest are already on employer health plans or other govt health plans.

Even if you are switching from employer sponsored care to self employed. The health care portability act of 1996 allowed you to still buy insurance regardless of pre existing conditions under most conditions.

Thats why I think pre existing conditions is over blown. Yes some people are excluded. I am not denying it. But it was such a small percentage. And second some people did it to themselves. Like the idiots parents who didn't add their newborn within 30 days of birth. Than newborn ended up with congenital conditions that insurance didn't pay for. That's their stupidity. You have 30 days to add an infant to your plan. Insurance has to pay for it regarded if infant has congenial problems.

Same with the health care portability act. People lapse in insurance for x amount of time than aren't eligible to get insurance with pre existing conditions. Most people lapse because they are trying to save money.

Some will argue people don't have money. Most do. They are just being cheap. Remember I posted that 11-12 million uninsured Americans have household incomes greater than 75k. That's telling you something.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:55 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
What policy??

Were you not denied because of a preexisting condition???
Er, the policy we had before I was cancelled. See my post earlier in the thread. The current one is virtually identical.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:56 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,318,187 times
So is mine at a 93% increase.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:11 PM

1,136 posts, read 942,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
We are probably talking about 1 million people. That's not a lot of people getting excluded.
It's actually less than that. Way back at the start of this, there was a news story about how the high-risk pools -- the ones set up for the supposedly uninsurable people who were being brutalized by society -- were closing and there were (if I recall) a few hundred thousand people on them. Plus, those pools ran out of money. Also, the fact that these people are supposedly "excluded" isn't even a relevant point to justify changing everyone else's health care policies. Nor is it a reason to do anything at all, actually.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:47 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

I was commenting on people having to buy policies with things they DON'T need. For the most part, this is not caused by Osamacare. BUT, there is no denying that Osamacare did add somewhat to required elements in insurance policies.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:40 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
It is truly hilarious to go back to the recent past and read all the conservatives predictions about the ACA. The certitude of their predictions of the law's death is absolute.

None of these articles contain one ounce of doubt. None of these articles gives any policy analysis of how the law could succeed. None of these articles can even think about the law not being an utter and total disaster.

This is the main clue that conservatives don't offer analysis. They offer ideology.

These utterly idiotic and wrong opinions should humble and embarrass them, but it won't.

conservatives have already moved on to the next set of 100% ironclad lock reasons in the future the ACA will fail.

These are predictions without any reflection of why they were so spectacularly wrong.

Resolved: Obamacare Is Now Beyond Rescue
Resolved: Obamacare Is Now Beyond Rescue - Bloomberg View

Obamacare’s Death Spiral
Obamacare

Obamacare Faces A 'Death Spiral' -- But It Turns On The Declining Participation Of Health Plans, Not Just Rising Premiums
Obamacare Faces A 'Death Spiral' -- But It Turns On The Declining Participation Of Health Plans, Not Just Rising Premiums - Forbes

THE OBAMACARE DEATH SPIRAL
The ObamaCare death spiral | Human Events

Obamacare Heading Into a Death Spiral
Obamacare Heading Into a Death Spiral | RealClearPolitics

The Obamacare Death Spiral Isn't Dead
The Obamacare Death Spiral Isn't Dead | The Weekly Standard

Obamacare 'death spiral' scenario is about the states, stupid
Obamacare 'death spiral' scenario is about the states, stupid | WashingtonExaminer.com

Will There Be An Obamacare Death Spiral in 2015? Probably Not.
Will There Be An Obamacare Death Spiral in 2015? Probably Not. | The Health Care Blog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies