Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 05:19 AM

88,801 posts, read 44,610,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
It is a FACT that YOU consider blacks to be lazy, and welfare dependent
Not at all. I posted earlier in this thread how utterly unconscionable it is for Democrats and liberals to keep the most vulnerable students trapped in the worst public schools. They just write all of them off, instead of helping to elevate those who have the motivation to learn and therefore great potential.

Perhaps you should direct your ire at those true oppressors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Tell you what the kids of that black man lost all of their lands because of laws which were passed which reduced the rights of free blacks. So don't know why you peddle that rant.
Because so many constantly blame slavery on Whites. The FACT of the matter is that slavery was legal in America for more than 200 years because of a Black man who owned slaves and sued in court to establish his right to own the slave labor of another. That legal precedent stood for over 200 years.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Are you denying that Jim Crow wasn't about race? And there wasn't widespread persecution of blacks?
Jim Crow laws were widely enacted and supported by Democrats. Look it up. Here's more:
DNC Chair Ignores Democrats' Jim Crow History - US News

They STILL do it to this day by trapping kids in local public schools and refusing to give them any other access to a better education.

Furthermore, it's hard to argue any remaining legacy of such (other than Dems STILL insisting on trapping kids in low-performing public schools) when you consider the fact that a southern city, Atlanta, is the top city in the U.S. for Black-owned businesses.
http://www.timeincnewsgroupcustompub...18_Atlanta.pdf

Old 04-28-2014, 11:40 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,789,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Because so many constantly blame slavery on Whites. The FACT of the matter is that slavery was legal in America for more than 200 years because of a Black man who owned slaves and sued in court to establish his right to own the slave labor of another. That legal precedent stood for over 200 years.
This is not true. Race based slavery was established in the US 40 years prior to the case you are referencing. Please research John Punch. All of you racially focused conservatives must like to stick to the same incorrect media outlets and websites and you all seem to be very naïve.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Jim Crow laws were widely enacted and supported by Democrats. Look it up. Here's more:
DNC Chair Ignores Democrats' Jim Crow History - US News

They STILL do it to this day by trapping kids in local public schools and refusing to give them any other access to a better education.

Furthermore, it's hard to argue any remaining legacy of such (other than Dems STILL insisting on trapping kids in low-performing public schools) when you consider the fact that a southern city, Atlanta, is the top city in the U.S. for Black-owned businesses.
http://www.timeincnewsgroupcustompub...18_Atlanta.pdf
The red above is also incorrect. I am black and live in Atlanta. Atlanta does have a favorable business economy but it is actually a tad beneath Detroit in terms of being the best place for black business. Atlanta also has one of the highest income inequality indexes in the country and the City of Atlanta itself statistically has no poverty stricken white people within the confines of the city (they now live in suburbs and exurbs and not the city itself) The most recent list compiled from research by the Urban League are as follows:

1. Washington DC Metro
2. Los Angeles, CA Metro
3. Chicago, IL Metro
4. Detroit, MI Metro (tie)
4. Atlanta, GA Metro (tie
5. St. Louis, MO Metro

Also don't know why you are bringing up Jim Crow in regards to Dems and even school systems. Weird. Also wanted to mention that Atlanta does not have a good record recently of educating poor, especially black students. There was a cheating scandal that went on for a decade here. Wanted to mention, I do think it is getting better, but more and more blacks are moving out of Atlanta and more whites moving in. The city is getting more expensive and research shows that it is no longer a "black mecca" that it was. In regards to business, blacks do better in "blue" or Democratic states versus the red or Republican states. Also wanted to mention that many democratic areas also do have charter schools and vouchers for education that are used primarily by black people in this country. Here in GA we do not have vouchers, this is a republican state. We do have Charter schools and in the city of Atlanta. All of the cities on the list above have charter schools. FWIW, I am from NW Ohio, not to far from Detroit and I will be moving back to Ohio soon mostly due to the fact that they have vouchers for public school and a better public school system IMO than here in Atlanta. That and because I was offered substantially more money to do the same job I am doing here though the cost of living is much lower there than here. Many black people in Atlanta complain about being stuck in a specific income demographic and not having room to move up in businesses or other organizations which has caused many to move to other areas, notably NC or TX for better economic opportunities. Atlanta frequently makes "lists" about being a place with less opportunity to climb the economic ladder, especially for black people.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 04-28-2014 at 12:06 PM..

Old 04-28-2014, 12:28 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,826,709 times
I don't know whether blacks have life better now or back in the day. I'm not black so can't really say. But can there even be an argument that the opportunities are better now than they were before the civil rights?

We can argue all day if they are equal to whites etc but I don't think one can even try to dispute the opportunities are better now. So if life isn't better, doesn't that lie solely at the feet of either blacks as a whole not taking full advantage of those opportunities, or rather individuals?

One of my Black friends growing up has went off the deep end about black power, oppression in America, how he was never truly afforded opportunities, etc.

We grew up in similar neighborhoods, went to same schools from elementary through high school. We are both in our early 30's now. I get the sense he is struggling a lot in life financially, whereas my income may be in the top 3-4%. I got good grades in school. He didn't. I used those good grades to go to a good school - when they accepted me, they didn't know if I was black, white, or purple. I used that education to get a great job out of college, and used that as a foundation to forging my career. My analyst class that I was hired into out of college was comprised of whites, blacks, Asians, middle easterns, etc. in fact, my companies CEO was black and the executive board received additional compensation for reaching diversity goals in recruiting.

So my question in this story.....where did skin color ever come into play when looking at our two divergent tracks. I'm quite confident that if I had decided to smoke weed every day before school and get C's and he strived hard and got the grades I did, our roles could have easily been reversed regardless of skin color.

Am I wrong?

Old 04-28-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
I don't know whether blacks have life better now or back in the day. I'm not black so can't really say. But can there even be an argument that the opportunities are better now than they were before the civil rights?

We can argue all day if they are equal to whites etc but I don't think one can even try to dispute the opportunities are better now. So if life isn't better, doesn't that lie solely at the feet of either blacks as a whole not taking full advantage of those opportunities, or rather individuals?

One of my Black friends growing up has went off the deep end about black power, oppression in America, how he was never truly afforded opportunities, etc.

We grew up in similar neighborhoods, went to same schools from elementary through high school. We are both in our early 30's now. I get the sense he is struggling a lot in life financially, whereas my income may be in the top 3-4%. I got good grades in school. He didn't. I used those good grades to go to a good school - when they accepted me, they didn't know if I was black, white, or purple. I used that education to get a great job out of college, and used that as a foundation to forging my career. My analyst class that I was hired into out of college was comprised of whites, blacks, Asians, middle easterns, etc. in fact, my companies CEO was black and the executive board received additional compensation for reaching diversity goals in recruiting.

So my question in this story.....where did skin color ever come into play when looking at our two divergent tracks. I'm quite confident that if I had decided to smoke weed every day before school and get C's and he strived hard and got the grades I did, our roles could have easily been reversed regardless of skin color.

Am I wrong?
You are wrong because of the first sentence of this post.

How could you not know that black people are better off today when by your own admission there are now more opportunities for black people in this country after the CRA?

Weird statement to me.

And one of you "black friends" is not indicative of all black people. I know only 1-2 black people out of my entire family and the plethora of black people I know (I am black so I know a majority of black people) who are black nationalistic minded. And FWIW, one of those people are a NOI member and the NOI are pretty well off economically more often than not because their ideology is based on self determination.

Skin color came into play in our country from the beginning unfortunately. For you to not recognize that shows your lack in education IMO.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:38 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,826,709 times
Yes, I believe that life is better now for blacks in the US than before. But as a white person, I can't 'know' that, especially when the entire thread was about a black pastor saying life was better prior to civil rights.

I was simply saying that the opportunities are better - so if life is not better, that responsibility falls on the individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
You are wrong because of the first sentence of this post.

How could you not know that black people are better off today when by your own admission there are now more opportunities for black people in this country after the CRA?

Weird statement to me.

And one of you "black friends" is not indicative of all black people. I know only 1-2 black people out of my entire family and the plethora of black people I know (I am black so I know a majority of black people) who are black nationalistic minded. And FWIW, one of those people are a NOI member and the NOI are pretty well off economically more often than not because their ideology is based on self determination.

Skin color came into play in our country from the beginning unfortunately. For you to not recognize that shows your lack in education IMO.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:34 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,408,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yeah, they were way better when they were treated as second class citizens.
Yeah, today there's no excuse for anyone to think that blacks who aren't successful is somehow the "White Man's doing." The last time I checked, no white person tells blacks to drop out of school, have 10 kids by 10 different baby mamas/daddies, and then rely on the government to take care of their 10 kids because of the poor choices that were made. It's time to wake up and start being responsible for all of our actions.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
This is not true. Race based slavery was established in the US 40 years prior to the case you are referencing. Please research John Punch.
John Punch was an indentured servant, not a slave. He was sentenced to remain a servant for the rest of his life as punishment for running away and not completing his term. Had he not done so and actually served his indentured term as contracted, he would have been free like Anthony Johnson (also an indentured servant, but he fulfilled his term.)

What made Anthony Johnson's case the landmark case that legally established slavery for over 200 years in America was the fact that Anthony Johnson arbitrarily extended the term of his indentured servant John Casor, took the case to court, and won the legal right to own Casor's labor for life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies