Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 10:02 AM

10,582 posts, read 9,746,503 times

Advertisements

Stop Putting So Much Tax Burden on Single People!!

If you had stopped after the first six words of that title, you would have had a topic worth discussing.

Americans pay on average nearly 50% of their incomes in taxes: Federal, state, and local. And that doesn't count the resources they must expend to obey every law from handrails to new light bulbs to higher car prices due to pollution controls and twelve automatic airbags, to health care forms their doctor and employer must pay someone to fill out, etc.

As long as you have a tax burden that big overall, it is far more important than which person you put a little more on or a little less on. The size of the tax burden is the problem, not whether I managed to avoid paying this particular piece of it even while the next guy managed to duck another piece of it (thus putting that piece on me).

Stop putting so much tax burden, PERIOD!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 10:03 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,418,744 times
I don't disagree with the OP. I thought the single rate was too high when I was single and I still think that when married. In fact, I was stunned at the difference between the two when we filed this year. I knew the tax breaks cut to married people (even with no kids) could be a lot but I knowing and seeing are two different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
Americans pay some of the highest taxes in the world. I don't care about Europe, we are not Europe.
No, we don't. You can't say we pay some of the highest in the world then turn around and say oh but I'm not including this entire section even though they are part of the world. Our tax rate puts us at roughly the middle of the pack when put against the world.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:04 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,591,587 times
CALL IT KARMA!

Anyone complaining about taxes, remember when you supported raising taxes on the other guy yet you could not see it would effect you. You were so happy to hurt someone else and now your evilness is biting your asses. You were told, you were warned not to believe Obama, yet you believed all of Obama's propaganda. By the way, Obama is not done yet, you give him the power to hurt you. I do not have an ounce of sympathy for Obama supporters.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:04 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,308,753 times
You including sales tax, sate income tax, amt, inflation?

Old 04-15-2014, 10:06 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,220,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And those countries get to enjoy a lot of benefits that we don't like free healthcare and mandatory vacation for workers.
And we pay for a strong military that they have benefited from.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:07 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,308,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
And we pay for a strong military that they have benefited from.
Bingo.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:07 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,220,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
CALL IT KARMA!

Anyone complaining about taxes, remember when you were all about raising taxes yet you could not see it would effect you. You were so happy to hurt someone else and now your evilness is biting your asses. You were told, you were warned not to believe Obama, yet you believed all of Obama's propaganda. By the way, Obama is not done yet, you give him the power to hurt you. I do not have an ounce of sympathy for Obama supporters.
IMO......some would still vote for him......sad.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:11 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,591,587 times
"Taxes are what we pay for civilized society …"

(OK, OK, add your joke/insight here if you must.)

Old 04-15-2014, 10:29 AM

10,582 posts, read 9,746,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
"Taxes are what we pay for civilized society …"
That's what liberals always say when they're working on a scheme to raise Other People's Taxes (meaning your taxes) yet again.

BTW, that chart says it "represents all tax returns" etc.. Does it include the people whose incomes are low enough that they don't fill out Income Tax Return forms at all?

Old 04-15-2014, 10:32 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,217,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Stop Putting So Much Tax Burden on Single People!!

If you had stopped after the first six words of that title, you would have had a topic worth discussing.

Americans pay on average nearly 50% of their incomes in taxes: Federal, state, and local. And that doesn't count the resources they must expend to obey every law from handrails to new light bulbs to higher car prices due to pollution controls and twelve automatic airbags, to health care forms their doctor and employer must pay someone to fill out, etc.

As long as you have a tax burden that big overall, it is far more important than which person you put a little more on or a little less on. The size of the tax burden is the problem, not whether I managed to avoid paying this particular piece of it even while the next guy managed to duck another piece of it (thus putting that piece on me).

Stop putting so much tax burden, PERIOD!
50% eh?

I can post IRS data files if you want.

http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfo...s/ff361_f4.png
Comments on Who Pays? A Distributional Analysis of the Tax Systems in All 50 States | Tax Foundation

http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfo...lone_paf_4.png

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies